• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• Headshot

• Monsoon

• Skywalker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, I opened my current resto-bar about seven years ago.   There were mostly carabao and rice farmers walking by.   Now the road is paved and we have tourists from around the globe eating pizza an

Well, if you spend the years developing local relationships with the politicians, military, and cops but most importantly your neighbours then you might understand.   There's a world of difference b

I have exactly the same experience in Tuble, Moalboal. Situated on a concrete road, with 2 refrigerators, one full of beer the other soft drinks, in plain sight with only a waist height wall protectin

hookedtothenet

Good to hear BossHog, sounds like an awesome place.

Your lucky to have found a part of the country and a community that has morals and doesn't just go with the normal 'Grab mentality' that is so common here.

PS. Are you being affected by the floods down there at the moment?

udonthani

I'm in Mindanao and nobody around here would dream of letting a chiller full of drinks be open to the public on any sort of 'honor system'. People steal from shops, homes and vehicles here all the time. Nobody even leaves motorbikes parked on the road overnight but always wheel them close to or inside the house even when it is difficult because the grass is so wet and muddy - otherwise they are scared they'll get stolen. I have a funny feeling that the OP has been in the Philippines for so long that they've passed the rose-colored glasses stage and now graduated to dancing with the fairies, not that there's anything wrong with that provided you enjoy it. Whatever floats your boat. 

• Like 1
JasonEcos

If true, you are a lucky man.

In our area (Mactan) not only do they not leave fridges open, but they chain down the fridge itself. Anything of value left out will disappear. And I would consider this a fairly "safe" area too.

udonthani

fridges, chillers and freezers are chained here too,provided they are not locked away behind a strong door overnight as are the 5 peso for thirty minutes internet machines on premises that are open to the public 24 hours. This is a perfectly friendly town in northern Mindanao of about 6,000 people where I doubt the crime rate is anything exceptional. However nobody here is fool enough to leave what are valuables unsecured. 

So, I opened my current resto-bar about seven years ago.

There were mostly carabao and rice farmers walking by.

Now the road is paved and we have tourists from around the globe eating pizza and drinking beer all day.

But we never considered putting doors or windows in.

When we opened I left a 50 peso in a very visible spot to see if it would disappear.

It's still there.

Our San Mig fridge is also here by the roadside. No doors or locks. Some mornings I come down to find a few empties with the correct number of peso notes under them.

Got a decent pair of Nikon binocs that we use to spot eagles over the river. Everyone uses them. Never been swiped.

The old village respect mentality is alive and well down here in Mindanao. Wouldn't trade it for the world.

You are quite obviously lying, because Whippy says so, and he knows your village much better than you do.

• Like 2

May I know the location & name of your village.

I live in Davao & think if I stood still for long enough I'd get stolen.

udonthani

here he exhibits the classic delusional symtpoms of Saint Amerikano Syndrome. Beneificient, beaming, white skinned foreigner single-handedly eliminates crime by the means of his unique and enlightened spirit as if he was a missionary in 19th century Africa spreading God's message to the savages and heathens. Why don't you write off to the Inquirer and suggest they start start a nationwide competition : Villages in the Philippines Where People Don't Have to Nail Everything Remotely Valuable Down to Avoid Getting Their Stuff Nicked. 

Well, if you spend the years developing local relationships with the politicians, military, and cops but most importantly your neighbours then you might understand.

mikejwoodnz

Better still Whippy seeing as you are in the area - why not visit him and do a Field Report for the benefit of us mere mortals ?

Edited by mikejwoodnz
  • Like 4
Skywalker

Aren't some of these 'friendly' Mindanao locals cutting people's heads off?

udonthani

no that's in the bit I'm in not the bit he's in. You'll never believe it but I had a few beers with some real Filipino Muslims in a videoke bar in Lanao Del Norte on Tuesday night.

Scary stuff. I lived to tell to tale as well and my head is still on my shoulders. What a miracle. 

• Like 1

Bloody hell Whippy, what's with shooting the man down?   He has found something you will never find in your lifetime, because of the way you live your life.  

You might be a know-it-all tourist with lots of experience travelling here, but you know nothing about actually living and integrating in one place for an extended period of time.  Locals don't have to nail their daughters down when Bosshog or myself walk by.

• Like 3
Skywalker

Locals don't have to nail their daughters

There's a better way of sayin' it!

Just sayin'

• Like 5