Foreigner shoots Cebu fiscal inside Palace of Justice

musingloudly

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

((I write this as a forum member and not as a moderator.))

OK, so the guy shot a couple of lawyers.

Perhaps he had good reason, and perhaps not.

However, it was only two lawyers, and Philippine lawyers at that.

So, they probably deserved it, and it will be two less to cause trouble for others.

(It would have been far better had he shot some politicians, about the only breed worse than lawyers.) 

This from the guy who arbitrarily closes active threads which haven't crossed morality lines.

• Like 4
  • Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Davaoeno

• InternetTough

• smokey

• JamesMusslewhite

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well as a forum member and not as a moderator i must tell you that this comment is a flagrant  piece of garbage  and totally unworthy of being posted -.   Posting that people deserve to be murdered

I would love to see a complete chronology of the events that led up to this murder/suicide. This didn't start when he walked through "security" and into the Palace of Justice with two guns. It sounds

No one has said that you are not allowed a point of view Alan. They have just said that in this case your point of view stinks.   And also  that it is unusual for you  to say such a nonsensical kind o

Posted Images

Davaoeno
The fact that he takes the weapon into a courtroom is for me evidence that this was planned. The incident also proves for me that the accusations against him were justified, at least one must see the event as proof of his threatening and crazy behavior.

I agree with your first conclusion.  However I totally disagree with your second .  I tend to go the most crazy when i am accused of something that I did NOT do !! 

• Like 2

The fact that he takes the weapon into a courtroom is for me evidence that this was planned. The incident also proves for me that the accusations against him were justified, at least one must see the event as proof of his threatening and crazy behavior.

I agree with your first conclusion.  However I totally disagree with your second .  I tend to go the most crazy when i am accused of something that I did NOT do !! 

He actually admitted that he has illegal weapon for self-defense! This case is not entirely new to me.

I have no understanding or compassion for this man!

He was a ticking time bomb, I'm afraid this case may have consequences for us foreigners in this country.

But I do not think we really disagree.

• Like 2
towboat72

really cant believe any one would make a statement like that,either as a mod or as just a member ..

i also believe that mr pope was probably not guilty of anything and thats why he went off the deep end because he say no other way out of his mess.

blaze pontaine

At least we have an instance of a kano not bending over and taking it.  What if the kano had brought a civil case against a powerful doctor and the kano got shot?  The same people who are expressing sympathies for the "innocent" lawyers would be the same people claiming that the kano deserved to get shot for filing a case.

As a sidenote, i've never seen a security guard perform anything more than the most cursory pat on the lower back on a foreigner entering a mall or public building. 

• Like 3
MattFromGA
As a sidenote, i've never seen a security guard perform anything more than the most cursory pat on the lower back on a foreigner entering a mall or public building.

The reason why "foreigners" dont get inspected as much is because foreigners dont do anything.  Sometimes this type of security is called "profiling".  Some people dont like that and feel it is racist, but security industry sometimes tells the truth - profiling typically works well.

• Like 3
Davaoeno
I say we should at least have the decency to see what Alan has for a response. Nothing more. We all make mistakes.

Alan was online when many of these comments were made and he chose not to reply to them 

• Like 2

We shop at SM Lacion on a regular basis, generally I drive and for teh car check I've always gotten a wave through or at the most a quick peek under and wave, never had them ask us to open the trunk.

Today we're going and my wifes father drives, we get to the guard station and they give him a very thorough check under both sides of the car and taps the hatchback to have us open it, problem is on this car there's no inside release just a handle on the outside so he rolls down the window to tell the guard to just open it and instead gets berated for 5 minutes on disrespecting the guard and threatened with having the cops called.

No idea if I get by easy because i'm white or if that guard was just having a bad day, but F-I-L says thats fairly typical behavior of security guards here.

CebuKano

((I write this as a forum member and not as a moderator.))

OK, so the guy shot a couple of lawyers.

Perhaps he had good reason, and perhaps not.

However, it was only two lawyers, and Philippine lawyers at that.

So, they probably deserved it, and it will be two less to cause trouble for others.

(It would have been far better had he shot some politicians, about the only breed worse than lawyers.) 

This from the guy who arbitrarily closes active threads which haven't crossed morality lines.

One has to define "arbitrarily"... care to do some research on these forums and provide the links?

Let's see the results...

Davaoeno
At least we have an instance of a kano not bending over and taking it.

I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it any more !!    Watch out BongBong the foreigners are armed and tired of being treated like lesser people . 

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Edit - Never mind I had this guy confused with another guy who had a search warrant served on him a while back in Cebu. Would have deleted this post if I had the option to.

Edited by Monsoon

Alan's post was so  "un-allanish"  that i could swear someone hijacked his laptop and made that comment. Allan,  Did your juvenile nephew take over for ya  while you were out mixing a hot toddy ?     If anyone else had made that comment  sir Allan would have had it deleted and and most likely run the  offender up a pole and trotted him out to banishment exile.   What an assinine post.   To the locals reading this forum- as you can see most all of the expat commmunity is horrified by the loss of life that happened at the Hall of Justice. 

Edited by samatm
  • Like 3
ed villas

Link to the story in sun star...

I was wondering why there was heavy traffic as I passed by 830's.... 

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/breaking-news/2013/01/22/foreigner-shoots-cebu-fiscal-inside-palace-justice-264123

thank you for posting the link yet not the story as the links do change slightly or the story is no longer acessable.

uesday, January 22, 2013

CEBU CITY (Updated 2:30 p.m.) -- A retired Canadian journalist died while being treated in a local hospital after he shot and killed a doctor and a lawyer Tuesday morning inside a Cebu City courtroom.

John H. Pope, 65, a resident of Cebu for 10 years, allegedly shot and killed Dr. Rene Rafols and lawyer Jubian Achas (not Julian Atias as earlier reported) around 8:30 a.m. Tuesday inside the courtroom of Municipal Trial Court in Cities (MTCC) Judge Pamela Baring-Uy, where the malicious mischief case against the Canadian was scheduled for hearing. Rafols was complainant against Pope; Achas was Rafols’s counsel.

Pope proceeded to another courtroom where he met Assistant City Prosecutor Maria Theresa Casiño in the hallway and shot her, Cebu City Police Director Mariano Natu-el said.

John%2520Pope%2520photo.jpg

John Pope (Photo courtesy of Atty. Alex Tolentino)

The MTCC courts are located on the fourth floor of the Palace of Justice.

Natu-el said an investigation showed that Pope proceeded to the ground floor after shooting the three victims when police officers Uriel Hagupit and Celso Rivera met him and shot him in the leg. Probably realizing he could not escape arrest, Pope shot himself in the head.

According to Natu-el, Casiño is already safe and is being monitored in the intensive care unit of Chong Hua Hospital.

Casiño is the public prosecutor handling the illegal gun possession case against Pope.

The police director said Pope was looking for Prosecutors Oscar Capacio and Nicolas Sellon at the ground floor when seen by responding policemen.

Senior Police Officer 2 Zosimo Rabanes, on his way to another hearing, heard about the attack and rushed to Prosecutor Casiño's aid. He drove her to the hospital.

Pope was earlier charged with illegal possession of firearms aside from the five counts of malicious mischief filed by Rafols.

Pope was arrested earlier for illegal possession of firearms but he was able to post bail at P80,000.

Pope said in letters to Sun.Star Cebu that he and Rafols lived in the same condominium and began fighting two years ago.

In 2011, Pope accused some Cebu City homicide policemen of mistreating him while he was detained for an illegal possession of firearm charge.

Media personality Bobby Nalzaro said he also received letters from Pope airing his frustrations over the country’s justice system.

Police are still investigating how Pope was able to enter the premises with the gun amid tight security and the election gun ban.

The police suspected Pope used a folded newspaper in his arm to conceal the gun while security personnel only checked his waist for weapons.

There are no metal detectors inside the Palace of Justice. :thats-funny:

Edited by ed villas
ed villas
He was a ticking time bomb, I'm afraid this case may have consequences for us foreigners in this country.

explain how?

had a native did this, the news would be over in a few hours ir days, NOW w/a foreginer ,, maybe ..just maybe,,(tho not in my life time) they will examine what happen, and try to make changes.. in other parts of the world they do .

but i recall that this is the philiipines and a 3rd world country

ed villas

People go crazy when faced with such corruption and racism. They drove the man insane with their dishonesty, what a crazy country this is.

so ..so.. so .. very true . best and honest post so far  :yourock:

• Like 1