Foreigner shoots Cebu fiscal inside Palace of Justice

musingloudly

apparently the canadian died in hospital but not from his own gun.he was shot in the head by a cop or nueterised as they say here in the philippines .when the mind can take no more I  guess everyone reacts differently very sad indeed

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Davaoeno

• InternetTough

• smokey

• JamesMusslewhite

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well as a forum member and not as a moderator i must tell you that this comment is a flagrant  piece of garbage  and totally unworthy of being posted -.   Posting that people deserve to be murdered

I would love to see a complete chronology of the events that led up to this murder/suicide. This didn't start when he walked through "security" and into the Palace of Justice with two guns. It sounds

No one has said that you are not allowed a point of view Alan. They have just said that in this case your point of view stinks.   And also  that it is unusual for you  to say such a nonsensical kind o

Posted Images

nueterised

Neutralized? That sounded too much like he had been shot somewhere else - say in the groin?

• Like 1

His name sounds familiar, but I just can't place it. John Pope. I had to run into him at some point, over the course of ten (or 15, depending which was accurate) years in Cebu.

udonthani

Was this guy a forum member ?       

he was one of the mods, behaving in real life just as he did here, shooting everything down and deleting anything he doesn't agree with or can't handle. 

• Like 3
I can sure understand the frustration with the legal system for sure. I had a former employee dismissed for theft, NLRC upheld the dismissal under the 3 identified counts of breach of criminal law and had 21 affidavits by eye witnesses  The fiscal advised that they had insufficient evidence, he advised that the affidavits by eye witnesses would not be sufficient.  I asked what did he need, he said the accused had to admit to doing it!! i said so you want a signed confession, he said yes.

I stood up smiled sweetly and said thank you for explaining why it is that the expression of fixcaled exists. His faced dropped. and dropped even further when i asked him to give my regards to his friend and batch mate attny  X representing the accused. 

No point in pursuing further, it was to be real expensive and would not cover the costs of the damages suffered.

This is from a guy with a backbone. Lol

Was this guy a forum member ?       

he was one of the mods, behaving in real life just as he did here, shooting everything down and deleting anything he doesn't agree with or can't handle. 

Whippy, that was out of line, not true, and uncalled for. To make myself perfectly clear, I alone dictate what is okay and not okay to be posted on this site.

So, let's keep ridiculous statements like that off the forums, please.

• Like 4
smokey

I dont know any of the background details, including whether or not all the charges against the Canadian were trumped up - but I can certainly relate to how he might have felt .   If you as a foreigner somehow get involved in the legal system here  do NOT expect to be treated fairly - or  necessarily even legally 

If you get to the point where you feel that absolutley everything has been taken from you and that the future is incredibly bleak - including the ability to support your family adequately - then sometimes the rage takes over.  

I would never do what this guy did - but I sure have thought about it !! lol

my wife read that he was fighting with his neighbor over some nonsense and got sued by the condo neighbor a doctor this happened 2 years ago ??

A_Simple_Man

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/01/21/john-pope-canadian-philippines-shooting-court-cebu_n_2523480.html[quote name=smokey' timestamp='1358836693' post='605141] my wife read that he was fighting with his neighbor over some nonsense and got sued by the condo neighbor a doctor this happened 2 years ago ??

Yep

Davaoeno

Push a guy far enough and hard enough then dont be surprised if he turns around and bites you !!

I can sure understand the frustration with the legal system for sure. I had a former employee dismissed for theft, NLRC upheld the dismissal under the 3 identified counts of breach of criminal law and had 21 affidavits by eye witnesses  The fiscal advised that they had insufficient evidence, he advised that the affidavits by eye witnesses would not be sufficient.  I asked what did he need, he said the accused had to admit to doing it!! i said so you want a signed confession, he said yes.

I stood up smiled sweetly and said thank you for explaining why it is that the expression of fixcaled exists. His faced dropped. and dropped even further when i asked him to give my regards to his friend and batch mate attny  X representing the accused. 

No point in pursuing further, it was to be real expensive and would not cover the costs of the damages suffered.

This is from a guy with a backbone. Lol

And your point is? 

There was no threats nor intimidation nor evidence of being fixcaled. Just a case of arithmatic involving less than 9000 pesos. When in search of your back bone see if you can locate some grey cells to top it out with.

This was about how sometimes the legal system can if one lets it cause confusion and frustration. How we manage that confusion and frustration is key.

Then again, I do not expect you to understand that either.  Perhaps you need some 'family' guidance to help you along the way. 

This has nothing to do with the incident you are trying to allude, it would appear that you like 'fishing' for the hell of it, a real positive, meaningful , helpful contribution.... not

Edited by spooks

PhilSTAR

http://www.philstar.com/nation/2013/01/22/899868/john-pope-brought-2-guns-cebu-city-court

John Pope brought 2 guns to Cebu City court

MANILA, Philippines - The Canadian national who killed a doctor and a lawyer and injured a fiscal was carrying two firearms as he went around looking for targets in Cebu City's Palace of Justice on Tuesday morning.

Shooting suspect John Pope, 63, used a .357 revolver during the shooting spree inside the Marcelo Fernan Memorial Hall of Justice (Palace of Justice) at past 8 a.m.

Pope, who was attending a hearing at the Municipal Trial Court of Cities (MTCC) Branch 6, shot dead Dr. Rene Rafols and lawyer Giovannie Achas.

The Canadian national was the respondent in the malicious mischief case filed by Rafols before the said court.

The shooter was also reportedly facing other cases at the hall of justice.

The Freeman reported on Twitter that after shooting Rafols and Achas, the Canadian national went through the cubicles of three prosecutors handling the cases filed against him.

Pope also shot Assistant Prosecutor Maria Teresa Casiño, who was staying in another sala on the fourth floor of the hall of justice. She is currently in critical condition due to gunshot wounds in the head.

After the shooting rampage, police seized the Canadian national's bag and recovered another firearm, a .45 pistol.

Pope managed to enter and roam around the hall of justice with firearms even as security personnel said they carried out strict security procedures in the area.

Following the incident, high court officials from the MTCC asked the Supreme Court for funds to install metal detectors at entrances of the building.

Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno has ordered Court Administrator Midas Marquez to proceed to Cebu City and personally find out how Pope was able to enter the hall of justice while carrying firearms.

The shooting came as the police units nationwide are supposedly strictly implementing the Commission on Elections gun ban.

The Philippine National Police recently intensified its campaign against loose firearms in connection with the election gun ban.