Foreigner shoots Cebu fiscal inside Palace of Justice

musingloudly

jtmwatchbiz

There is no equivalence in weight between what Pope was arrested for and charged for and was going to be tried for, but went on a murder binge to avoid, and what Pope merely asserted happened---without another soul to back him.

So you are saying Pope made it all up and thus was a mentally deranged stalker.  But my theory is he was driven nuts because no one would believe his story.  See the difference?  I put my idea forward as a theory or an opinion, I don't suggest my theory is fact just because I say so, but you go right ahead and keep doing that.  I'm sure you are convincing yourself that way.

I was just pointing out the probabilities of one explanation being true versus another.

of course both those scenarios along with many others can be correct and no one will really know. the real tragedy was neither the doctor nor shooter were inclined to give up the battle.  

Edited by jtmwatchbiz
  • Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Davaoeno

• InternetTough

• smokey

• JamesMusslewhite

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well as a forum member and not as a moderator i must tell you that this comment is a flagrant  piece of garbage  and totally unworthy of being posted -.   Posting that people deserve to be murdered

I would love to see a complete chronology of the events that led up to this murder/suicide. This didn't start when he walked through "security" and into the Palace of Justice with two guns. It sounds

No one has said that you are not allowed a point of view Alan. They have just said that in this case your point of view stinks.   And also  that it is unusual for you  to say such a nonsensical kind o

Posted Images

ellenbrook2001

My opinion.

While I do not agree with what Alan said, I believe it may cause - okay, maybe not, but I can hope - for change in the Philippines.

What I mean here is, for the first time during my time knowing about, visiting, and living in the Philippines, a foreigner has actually murdered someone - proven anyway, more than one person in this case. I am adamantly against this happening. I do not believe any of those harmed deserved to be shot or killed.

But, as I stated, hopefully change can come about where foreigners are treated more equally, rather than as an ATM where some officials can line their pockets with the monies from the foreigner. Hopefully, it will cause fewer Filipinos to make such statements like, "Go back to your home country, if you don't want to pay to live here." That especially applies when many of these same people, either already visit the west, or wish to visit the west. What if we (westerners) treated them similarly upon their arrival in our respective countries? You can bet your ass they wouldn't like it one bit.

So, to the good people of the Philippines, I am very sorry for your loss because of this horrible tragedy.

To those Filipinos who look down on foreigners visiting or living in the Philippines, I do hope you will begin looking at us as something more than someone who is beneath you, or someone who should pay more, simply because we are from another country. I hope you will begin treating us with the same respect you would want us to treat you with, when you visit our homelands.

that correct at 100%

ed villas

MR POPE did what he felt he had to do to the "injustice" he suffered.

would this even be a news story to the expats if a native/local/ a philipino did this? :kissass:  

• Like 1

I'm a bottom line guy.  I look at this in a very simple way.  No matter how much good Mr. Pope did over the last 14 plus years...........it means nothing now.  The day he decided to enter the courts and murder, wound and or maim he erased all the good he strived to do.  He is now no more then a common criminal, a murderer and branded psycho for the rest of time.  This was his choice, he made this decision, you can not rationalize his actions.  He had choices.  He could have left the country, he could have negotiated his problems before they ever escalated to this point.  He made a bad call, plain as that.  You can not excuse his action under any circumstances.

Maybe some of you leave in a fairy tale land.........but life is not always fair.  Many times right or wrong has no bearing........specially in a skewed judicial system.  Right is sometimes no more then perceived principle..........but many time principle does not prevail!   If I acted out against the injustices I have had done to me...........well, I reckon I would also be on the 6 o'clock news.........but it is about choices, he made a very bad one.........he was weak and his reasoning was flawed.  He knew when he entered that court he would not leave there alive.........who in their right mind would think anything different.  He had already given up on life and took a cowardice way out.  If you really believe you are right then you fight, win or loose you fight, you do not murder.  Thats the bottom line, thats the legacy he has left and I see no pride or precedence in his actions.      

• Like 5
smokey

John Pope was arrested near Dr. Rafols clinic last year. He had a gun.    Obviously, he was a mentally deranged stalker.

And yet, when the good doctor goes to John Popes home with armed men, then the good doctor is just being . . . a concerned citizen?  Looks like a pot and kettle playing their tune and both got burnt.

John Pope said that happened---and that is the only evidence for it. Pope was actually arrested while carrying an illegal gun close to the doctor's office---material evidence:illegal gun+location. And we know that Pope was capable of a lethal intention. There is no equivalence in weight between what Pope was arrested for and charged for and was going to be tried for, but went on a murder binge to avoid, and what Pope merely asserted happened---without another soul to back him.

oh i am sorry so if he said it happened of course it did not ,,, but if the paper printed something happened of course it did.... thanks for helping me understand 

• Like 1

In 1970, John Holdridge Pope thought his war was over. The 24-year-old had deserted his U.S. Army officer training, fled to Canada and renounced his citizenship to protest the Vietnam War. But his battles didn’t end.

Instead, he bounced between provinces and became a self-styled advocate, writing letter after letter to newspapers. He was anti-Vietnam, pro-capitalism and anti-feminism. As years passed, the letters continued. In Canada and the Philippines, where he lived in retirement for several years, he kept writing, filing complaints and appealing to the media. Mr. Pope soon saw corruption all around him. The injustices, as he saw them, became innumerable.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/canadian-mans-fight-for-justice-reaches-bloody-end-in-the-philippines/article7651952/

littlePP

John Pope was arrested near Dr. Rafols clinic last year. He had a gun.    Obviously, he was a mentally deranged stalker.

And yet, when the good doctor goes to John Popes home with armed men, then the good doctor is just being . . . a concerned citizen?  Looks like a pot and kettle playing their tune and both got burnt.

John Pope said that happened---and that is the only evidence for it. Pope was actually arrested while carrying an illegal gun close to the doctor's office---material evidence:illegal gun+location. And we know that Pope was capable of a lethal intention. There is no equivalence in weight between what Pope was arrested for and charged for and was going to be tried for, but went on a murder binge to avoid, and what Pope merely asserted happened---without another soul to back him.

oh i am sorry so if he said it happened of course it did not ,,, but if the paper printed something happened of course it did.... thanks for helping me understand 

:lol:

musicman666

Cebu Daily News today 2013 jan 24

And editorial

http://www.cdn.ph/i_editorial.php

This is what I was afraid of.... There are a hell of a lot expats in the Philippines keeping their noses clean and helping the local economy but it only takes one idiot with a gun to feed the local xenophobes .....and now they are linking this up with the mad frogs online scribbles.... Any foreigner with a gun here...please ram it up your own arse and pull the trigger.

• Like 1
Davaoeno

And editorial

This is what I was afraid of.... There are a hell of a lot expats in the Philippines keeping their noses clean and helping the local economy but it only takes one idiot with a gun to feed the local xenophobes .....and now they are linking this up with the mad frogs online scribbles.... Any foreigner with a gun here...please ram it up your own arse and pull the trigger.

From the editorial :-------" the failed promise of retirement paradise"  - thats for damned sure.  They lure you here with promises of paradise, then - take your money - then abandon you.  You cant buy a house, you cant own a business, many times you cant get justice . You are constantly under the threat by anyone you upset of being deported .  They disrespect you and poke you in the eye at every possible opportunity then are surprised when the occasional wacko responds with violence. 

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 6

ats for damned sure.  They lure you here with promises of paradise, then - take your money - then abandon you.  You cant buy a house, you cant own a business, many times you cant get justice . You are constantly under the threat by anyone you upset of being deported .  They disrespect you and poke you in the eye at every possible opportunity then are surprised when the occasional wacko responds with violence. 

A lesson for any newbies coming here.....stick to a tourist visa, rent, avoid getting into business and move around and see the country.

If you find a place you like,  RENT!

When you buy here, you are STUCK here and if anyone screws you in business or moves next door and pisses you off  you are STUFFED

While you are here leave the country every time a visa renewal comes up and see if any other SE asian nations take your fancy

• Like 9

And editorial

I doubt that they are linking it to the mad frog, so many of his kinks are down after TOS, over 150 plus. I believe that they would hesitate to even consider him as being anything other than another Pope in the making.  Papers write to report and speculate and instigate discussion. Perhaps if they had focused on the last sentence then they would better understand that if this was to come true the victims would be less, no matter their skin colour, ethnicity or creed etc...

• Like 1

he had a $50,000 SRRV (according to Elma Corbeta---PRA chief in Cebu)

Considering that Pope was born in 1946, which makes him about 66 years old, and considering that the SRRV fee for someone 50 or over is only $20,000- I find this incredibly hard to believe. If what you say is true then he was robbed by the PRA !!  No wonder he was upset !

people seem to think that his deportation was the product of harassment against him---no, his own harassment of others and flouting of the immigration law brought it on.-  please provide your source that information

15 years ago I believe the SRRV was $50,000 deposit.

thanks for the info .  I wonder what happened to that money ? I hope his kids will benefit from it  

As I recall from the original article I read in the Sun Star, he reclaimed his deposit (thereby losing his SRRV) and that was the reason he was now on a tourist visa.

• Like 1

And editorial

From the editorial :-------" the failed promise of retirement paradise"  - thats for damned sure.  They lure you here with promises of paradise, then - take your money - then abandon you.  You cant buy a house, you cant own a business, many times you cant get justice . You are constantly under the threat by anyone you upset of being deported .  They disrespect you and poke you in the eye at every possible opportunity then are surprised when the occasional wacko responds with violence. 

Hell

the PRA does not even honour its commitment on importing your own

vehicle under their scheme let alone being proactive with importing of

personal items to avoid the customs squeeze or even ensuring that

acceptance of your overseas driving license with the LTO for conversion

purposes.   Personally I think the new PRA scheme is not as good as the

old one where higher deposits were required for a lower annual fee etc.

Then again they are fond of promoting golf and cozy night out at the

cinema, as if all or even the majority of retirees play golf or want to

travel miles to a movie in the company of the very nice people at the

PRA.  Being left to your own devices is fine, that is part of the

thought process on making the move here. Should you feel that you need a

greater sense of social support, then the Philippines is NOT for you.

Edited by spooks
  • Like 1
JamesMusslewhite

And editorial

I "Thanked" you for the first part of your post, but you really should be slapped up side the head for that second part. I have a legally obtained firearm in my home here, and it it is a necessity and was sanctioned by the local PNP Chief so I can protect my family and myself from the mess ensnaring us in mixed-up personal affairs of another Canadian citizen who had obvious mental issues. These two Canadians were allowed passports and were allowed to go to another country were they commit crimes that did others harm. The Canadian government is to blame as they failed them and also failed the good Canadian citizens who are also here. I feel that ALL Countries should screen their applicants when applying for Passports and refuse those with questionable backgrounds. It is funny how often when such events occur that those around them make statements like "there was something very odd", "they had obvious behavioral problems", or "you could see it coming". The problem is the lack of social and personal responsibility for one's actions and the laziness of the bureaucracy. The truth is most violent crimes are avoidable but the ineptitude of those around them prevail and not a collective common sense.

I love the "IF THERE WOULD BE NO GUNS ALL WILL BE PEACEFUL AND SAFE, AND ALL WILL BE ROSY" convoluted thinking by narrow-minded anti-gun activist on the forums. There are more people attached and killed by bats, sticks, and knives than by firearms in the world. Most countries that have abolished firearm ownership to their citizens still have regular murders and excessively high crime rates. So by your own standards, all those who possess trees and knives should stick them up their arses too? Does our collective History somehow show that there was peace and harmony in the world before firearms? HELL NO! It shows that only societies who could adequately protect themselves stood a fighting chance of a peaceful existence. Some people really need to get their minds out of fiction novels, Star Trek episodes, and Government propaganda so they can actually wake up to the realities of the real world. People with firearms are not the problem, rather it is the evil which resides in some men which is the root of the problem.

I know that If hired killers do try to come into my home to harm my family or myself, that I can trust police response times; and you of course will

be of no real assistance since you will probably be too busy running and or hiding. It will be that small piece of common metal, this tool, my firearm which will be my only chance. That very same tool you think I should stick up my arse and blow my brain out with  Of course I could sell all I have here and move like a spineless coward, but then how many times will i have to keep moving once I choose the path? You will be of

no assistance, so why should you even be taken seriously or you anti-gun views even be considered? The first murder recorded in the world

was done with a rock, so lets abolish all rocks, and those who possess rocks should stick them up their arses as well.

This twisted little demented old man possessed illegally obtained firearms, as do those criminals back in your own home countries. so they can prey on the good citizens who now only allowed bats, sticks, and knives to protect their households and themselves. I think these anti-gun activists who try to use every little opportunity to express their narrow-minded self-serving dribble should take their own keyboards and stick them up their arses were they will actually do some good.  After all their foolishness can get me killed and I hate double-standards...  :biggrin_01:

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
  • Like 1