Foreigner shoots Cebu fiscal inside Palace of Justice

musingloudly

shadow

So this is the story - crazy unstable nut, nudged hard by the same corruption he was crazed against, in a third world dump of a city full of it, goes nuts and murders those he feels were corrupt.

Is that about it?

Hmmm...it almost makes you think he was affiliated with the NPA. That's the kind of stuff they do.

So this is the story - crazy unstable nut, nudged hard by the same corruption he was crazed against, in a third world dump of a city full of it, goes nuts and murders those he feels were corrupt.

Is that about it?

Hmmm...it almost makes you think he was affiliated with the NPA. That's the kind of stuff they do.

Lawyers and politicians seem to do that a lot here too, but they usually just hire two guys on a motorcycle to do it for them!

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Davaoeno

• InternetTough

• smokey

• JamesMusslewhite

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well as a forum member and not as a moderator i must tell you that this comment is a flagrant  piece of garbage  and totally unworthy of being posted -.   Posting that people deserve to be murdered

I would love to see a complete chronology of the events that led up to this murder/suicide. This didn't start when he walked through "security" and into the Palace of Justice with two guns. It sounds

No one has said that you are not allowed a point of view Alan. They have just said that in this case your point of view stinks.   And also  that it is unusual for you  to say such a nonsensical kind o

Posted Images

jtmwatchbiz

I would love to see a complete chronology of the events that led up to this murder/suicide. This didn't start when he walked through "security" and into the Palace of Justice with two guns. It sounds like his was a long and painful path to get to this point. It also sounds like he made just about every mistake that a foreigner can make in this country, so there are probably a lot of lessons other foreigners can learn from this story. I have already picked up a few.

absolutely 100%.

in any tragedy or accident, as well as windfall or unanticipated positive situation there is always a "chronology of events"...a culmination of circumstances that ultimately leads to the outcome. without a crystal ball no one can accurately predict the future but as headshot is pointing out there are things one can do to limit their exposure to problems.

i don't know this guy john pope and even if i had known him, there is zero chance that an outsider could anticipate the tragic event that took place in the court house. the only person who could have anticipated that tragedy was john pope. it was his responsibility, and ours as well to monitor our own behavior and more importantly, our thoughts. one can't blame a court system, neighbors, or any foes for our own behavior. with all of us, as headshot was outlining, it's important to not put ourselves into situations where we don't want to be. simply put...if one is looking for trouble then one will find it. everyone needs to know their own strengths and weaknesses, and more importantly everyone needs to monitor their own ideas, thoughts, emotions, etc. 

this is not always easy, as one needs to admit to oneself their own weaknesses - know one's limitations. it's further complicated when someone, whether they are cognizant of it or not, are in fact seeking exactly what they found - looking for trouble so they can cry foul and play victim. now i'm not saying for sure, but my guess would be that judging from all the cases john pope filed and complaints he lodged in the past, he was of the type that relished conflict, and finally got in over his head...painted himself into a corner. his situation and the resulting tragedy was something that no one could have anticipated or prevented. however, john pope should have seen it coming, had he known himself better.        

• Like 1

My opinion.

While I do not agree with what Alan said, I believe it may cause - okay, maybe not, but I can hope - for change in the Philippines.

What I mean here is, for the first time during my time knowing about, visiting, and living in the Philippines, a foreigner has actually murdered someone - proven anyway, more than one person in this case. I am adamantly against this happening. I do not believe any of those harmed deserved to be shot or killed.

But, as I stated, hopefully change can come about where foreigners are treated more equally, rather than as an ATM where some officials can line their pockets with the monies from the foreigner. Hopefully, it will cause fewer Filipinos to make such statements like, "Go back to your home country, if you don't want to pay to live here." That especially applies when many of these same people, either already visit the west, or wish to visit the west. What if we (westerners) treated them similarly upon their arrival in our respective countries? You can bet your ass they wouldn't like it one bit.

So, to the good people of the Philippines, I am very sorry for your loss because of this horrible tragedy.

To those Filipinos who look down on foreigners visiting or living in the Philippines, I do hope you will begin looking at us as something more than someone who is beneath you, or someone who should pay more, simply because we are from another country. I hope you will begin treating us with the same respect you would want us to treat you with, when you visit our homelands.

• Like 7
jtmwatchbiz

I added a photo of John Pope to the original post of this thread.

His face looks so familiar. But, I just cannot recall where I saw, or met him.

yea i seen the guy quite a few times over the years in and around fuente. never did talk to him tho. i think the last time i seen him was just a few days ago walking in robinsons

musicman666

My opinion.

While I do not agree with what Alan said, I believe it may cause - okay, maybe not, but I can hope - for change in the Philippines.

What I mean here is, for the first time during my time knowing about, visiting, and living in the Philippines, a foreigner has actually murdered someone - proven anyway, more than one person in this case. I am adamantly against this happening. I do not believe any of those harmed deserved to be shot or killed.

But, as I stated, hopefully change can come about where foreigners are treated more equally, rather than as an ATM where some officials can line their pockets with the monies from the foreigner. Hopefully, it will cause fewer Filipinos to make such statements like, "Go back to your home country, if you don't want to pay to live here." That especially applies when many of these same people, either already visit the west, or wish to visit the west. What if we (westerners) treated them similarly upon their arrival in our respective countries? You can bet your ass they wouldn't like it one bit.

So, to the good people of the Philippines, I am very sorry for your loss because of this horrible tragedy.

To those Filipinos who look down on foreigners visiting or living in the Philippines, I do hope you will begin looking at us as something more than someone who is beneath you, or someone who should pay more, simply because we are from another country. I hope you will begin treating us with the same respect you would want us to treat you with, when you visit our homelands.

Well I have to agree....I hate guns and would never own one but speaking as a foreigner who has been threatened with a gun here maybe the locals would think twice...on the other hand I guess we will be frisked as equally as the locals so its a double edged sword.

Edited by Paul
removed double quotes.
Davaoeno

he had a $50,000 SRRV (according to Elma Corbeta---PRA chief in Cebu)

Considering that Pope was born in 1946, which makes him about 66 years old, and considering that the SRRV fee for someone 50 or over is only $20,000- I find this incredibly hard to believe. If what you say is true then he was robbed by the PRA !!  No wonder he was upset !

people seem to think that his deportation was the product of harassment against him---no, his own harassment of others and flouting of the immigration law brought it on.-  please provide your source that information

shadow

Considering that Pope was born in 1946, which makes him about 66 years old, and considering that the SRRV fee for someone 50 or over is only $20,000- I find this incredibly hard to believe. If what you say is true then he was robbed by the PRA !!  No wonder he was upset !

people seem to think that his deportation was the product of harassment against him---no, his own harassment of others and flouting of the immigration law brought it on.-  please provide your source that information

15 years ago I believe the SRRV was $50,000 deposit.

• Like 1
CardiacKid

True. The reason given was to try to attract more SRRV retirees. I seem to recall it happened in 2006 or 2007. Competition is keen for the retiree dollar, and Malaysia has done a great job of promoting their country. 
Davaoeno

thanks for the info .  I wonder what happened to that money ? I hope his kids will benefit from it  

shadow

thanks for the info .  I wonder what happened to that money ? I hope his kids will benefit from it  

One article I read stated he had cashed it in to pay bills, and had since been on tourist visa only since last year. if that were true one could probably add financial difficulties to his list of chains.

InternetTough

John Pope was arrested near Dr. Rafols clinic last year. He had a gun.    Obviously, he was a mentally deranged stalker.

And yet, when the good doctor goes to John Popes home with armed men, then the good doctor is just being . . . a concerned citizen?  Looks like a pot and kettle playing their tune and both got burnt.

John Pope said that happened---and that is the only evidence for it. Pope was actually arrested while carrying an illegal gun close to the doctor's office---material evidence:illegal gun+location. And we know that Pope was capable of a lethal intention. There is no equivalence in weight between what Pope was arrested for and charged for and was going to be tried for, but went on a murder binge to avoid, and what Pope merely asserted happened---without another soul to back him.

InternetTough

I have a $20,000 SRRV and just talked with Elma Corbeta today...but not about John Pope...oh well. I was quoting a newspaper article verbatim. I wondered about the $50,000 figure, too, but that was what the article said. I know that you only get your $20,000 back if you use it as part of an investment in a condo or something else permitted that totals $50,000 or more, but he wouldn't have gotten the remainder $30,000 from the PRA under the deal that I am under. He had been here a while---so maybe he had a different deal.

He was not paying anything anymore to the Philippine government to live here----he had no visa at all. He didn't have a low profile, because of his many legal problems. What followed, a deportation order, is what you would normally expect in such a situation in any country. In South Korea, I knew people who got deported for teaching without the proper visa. It doesn't take a conspiracy to get a deportation order against you. Just break the immigration law and draw attention to yourself. 

I guess you would call me wildly presumptuous to count him as capable of making the grave threats that he was accused of by the murdered doctor, but I think that Pope himself established his own guilt in that matter by his "testimony" in court. Are grave threats harassment? Certainly.

I see John Pope as being somewhat similar to this young man:

http://ph.news.yahoo.com/u-teenager-charged-family-killings-planned-more-carnage-074843122.html

After reading that story, do you really want to know in what exact way the boy's mother "frustrated" him?

I have no curiosity whatsoever. In a similar fashion, I have no curiosity  about John Pope's claims that he was wronged---harassed---frustrated---whatever.

Edited by InternetTough
  • Like 1
A_Simple_Man

There is no equivalence in weight between what Pope was arrested for and charged for and was going to be tried for, but went on a murder binge to avoid, and what Pope merely asserted happened---without another soul to back him.

So you are saying Pope made it all up and thus was a mentally deranged stalker.  But my theory is he was driven nuts because no one would believe his story.  See the difference?  I put my idea forward as a theory or an opinion, I don't suggest my theory is fact just because I say so, but you go right ahead and keep doing that.  I'm sure you are convincing yourself that way.

• Like 4
InternetTough

There is no equivalence in weight between what Pope was arrested for and charged for and was going to be tried for, but went on a murder binge to avoid, and what Pope merely asserted happened---without another soul to back him.

So you are saying Pope made it all up and thus was a mentally deranged stalker.  But my theory is he was driven nuts because no one would believe his story.  See the difference?  I put my idea forward as a theory or an opinion, I don't suggest my theory is fact just because I say so, but you go right ahead and keep doing that.  I'm sure you are convincing yourself that way.

I was just pointing out the probabilities of one explanation being true versus another.