Upholstry pricing....huh?

SkyMan

So back a year or so ago when I was getting ready to have my mechanic put bucket seats in my multicab, I had to go buy the seats or rather, I wanted to be the one to pick out the seats.  So I went to a shop I had seen with some buckets and looked around.  I saw one set I liked well enough and asked about the price.  p2K.  For both?  Yes. Sounded a bit high to me.  They had an old grey cloth cover so I asked what if I wanted them recovered?  p2K.  :blink: So both seats recovered all-in, and these will fit in my multicab, p2K?  Yes.  :blink: Ok.  What if I just want the seats no recover?  p2K  :blink:  

I borrowed the seats to take to my mechanic to install and then took them out for recovering in genuine imitation leather and yep, p2K all-in and a very nice job they did.

So then a couple months ago I was noticing the seat of my office chair was getting pretty thin and I was sitting on a folded towel for extra padding.  I thought maybe I should take it apart and get the bottom and back recovered with extra pad.  Then about a week ago the plastic arms on the chair broke so I decided to see if I could fix it myself and at the same time get it recovered.  I took the seat and back to the same place and asked about it.  The guy said p1500.  :blink: I explained to him about getting 2 car seats and recovered for p2K and why was one seat for which I'm supplying the hardware almost as much.  He gave no explanation but they really did do a nice job so for p1500 I got a like new office chair covered in genuine imitation leather rather than the cheap vinyl it originally was when I bought it at Makro years ago.  And my butt likes it a lot.

• Like 1

Does seem a bit pricey, but if you're happy with the results then it's probably money well spent.  I recently found a sofa at SM on sale for 40% off because of a small tear on the back.  It was "pleather", which I hate in hot climates because it gets sticky and hot easily.  Found a great upholstery shop in Mandaue that did the whole sofa for 3.5K and I supplied the material I wanted.  Also very happy with the results:

6nv0ci.jpg       1j0od4.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Thelandofku-an

It was "pleather", which I hate in hot climates because it gets sticky and hot easily.

I was surprised when I browsed for "leather conditioning" and discovered even real leather hide products may have a plastic skin added for some benefit or other...

SkyMan

How did you fix the plastic arms?

I had some 1 inch steel bar I welded into "L"s and drilled holes in them to match up with the arm holes.  They fit onto the 2 upholstered pieces and the plastic arms fit over the top then screw down.  They are the strength and the arms are just arms.

• Like 1