Is this true, new requirements for 13a visa

trthebees
1.) They are requiring a National police clearance in the home country of the applicant. In the US that is an FBI clearance, That clearance then must be sent to the appropriate Philippine Conciliate/ Embassy to be authenticated, then it must be sent to a residence in that country because they do not trust sending documents to the Philippines. I guess they can not insure that document will be safely delivered to the Filipino address and they are afraid of scammers/ con-artist. I also believe that by doing so they are not held accountable. . 

Well there's a thing, all these additional requirements and specifically this one.

I got a 13A permanent about 2 years ago, with the simple requirements which applied at that time.

Back in 1998 I tried to start a 13A. Actually filed it all at the old BOI, but never heard anything. In the end we went to the UK for a few years anyway.. 

At that time they wanted a home country police clearance. All I could do was get a solicitors letter saying the the UK police don't issue such a thing...it might have been data protection.

• Like 1
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• spooks

• JamesMusslewhite

• Monsoon

• SkyMan

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, you soft spoken guys never get anything done.

Its amazing how naturally foreigners in the Philippines talk about getting deported - as if it were a sword constantly hanging over each and every foreigners head - ready to be used for the slightest

When u initially apply for your 13 a visa the requirement are for Home police clearance, valid for 6 months from date of issue. used for the permanent visa range including SRRV. Nothing new here. Once

Posted Images

littlejohn

I got my 13a in the US they asked for local police clearance. My local Sheriff said they don't  do that anymore so I called the embassy and they said get a highway patrol clearance form the state. All it has to do is show I have a clean record. However no local offices could do that so I had to drive all the way to the state capital to get it done and waited several hours. The only other option was to do a background check through a local approved private agency which would cost several hundred dollars and take a few weeks.

The great thing about doing it in the US is you have no temporary it is the complete 13a. It also only cost me a $120 fee.

I think this was in 2008

By the way I heard recently that their was a new requirement started last week that you need all your receipts from previous years to get your annual check in done. Luckily I got mine the week before or it would have been another trip home to hunt them up. We now have them all safely tucked in my passport.

Edited by littlejohn
  • Like 1

"By the way I heard recently that their was a new requirement started last week that you need all your receipts from previous years to get your annual check in done. Luckily I got mine the week before or it would have been another trip home to hunt them up. We now have them all safely tucked in my passport." 

I this is true and I doubt it is, I did my renewal two weeks ago without this then its a backward step to how it used to be.  They stopped asking for this as the new commissioner made the common sense decision that the card when issued was the OR for future renewal purposes.  As it is the same guys in charge I be surprised to find they reversed their own policy...then again.!! 

Seems strange they would ask this after three weeks into the new year when policy is already applied.

Edited by spooks
Stranded Shipscook

Hi,

Been a while since i been on here, but i have just had an interesting chat with a friend. We both have our 13a provisional visa and will need to go  back to Cebu for the permanent one. We have another friend who has just applied for his 13a provisional and he was asked two things that we were not asked last year. 1 he had to show them he had PHP100,000 in his bank account which fortunately he did, but 2. he has to get FBI clearance from the US and then notorised here in the Philippines. Firstly i just want to know if this is true, secondly as we have our 13a provisional already and have showed we are capable of living for that year, would we be required to show fianances and also clearance, i am from the UK, so what  sort of clearance they would want from me i have no idea if this is indeed true in the first place. Any clarification about this would be great, thank you.

Matt.

I was there yesterday  to do the anual report - It was all straight forward, but I had to wait a bit longer due to the mass of "annual" report people. 10 minutes instead of 5.

And then I went upstairs to renew my 5 year I-card.

( 2029,-  the only time we hail the low $ rate, right ? plus 500,- Express fee so that it only takes 30 days).

They really Check Closely and scrutinize all the documents from the origial Issuance.

In my case the Residency was transferred into a new Passport 3 years ago and they needed copies of the old Passport. Good that I had it.

(I always carry my entire documents to the "la Migra", so it's no problem to present, but for others maybe inconvenient as they have to go back home)

However,during a small talk with someone of the staff I knew, its because the new 'Boss" Ex General David, who "renovated" parts of the Armed Forces and is now tasked to "renovate" the Immigration.

He said it became very strict now.

Also requirements and old visas/residencies will be scrutinized for eventually "corrupt" aquired ones. That's what I predict since years, the wind blows tougher and everyone who went "shortcuts", on purpose or because naive, will face some troubles.

To the specific OP Question - Are you sure they did not say "NBI" OR "Police Clearance notarized by Embassy from abroad"?  This has been confused in the Past quiet often.( Check the runsheet, it's written their)

The 100k is depending upon what the wife wrote in her letter appliaction, because as a matter of fact its the WIFE which asks for the residency. However, sufficient income is always needed. makes sense.

• Like 1
JamesMusslewhite

Hi,

Been a while since i been on here, but i have just had an interesting chat with a friend. We both have our 13a provisional visa and will need to go  back to Cebu for the permanent one. We have another friend who has just applied for his 13a provisional and he was asked two things that we were not asked last year. 1 he had to show them he had PHP100,000 in his bank account which fortunately he did, but 2. he has to get FBI clearance from the US and then notorised here in the Philippines. Firstly i just want to know if this is true, secondly as we have our 13a provisional already and have showed we are capable of living for that year, would we be required to show fianances and also clearance, i am from the UK, so what  sort of clearance they would want from me i have no idea if this is indeed true in the first place. Any clarification about this would be great, thank you.

Matt.

I was there yesterday  to do the anual report - It was all straight forward, but I had to wait a bit longer due to the mass of "annual" report people. 10 minutes instead of 5.

And then I went upstairs to renew my 5 year I-card.

( 2029,-  the only time we hail the low $ rate, right ? plus 500,- Express fee so that it only takes 30 days).

They really Check Closely and scrutinize all the documents from the origial Issuance.

In my case the Residency was transferred into a new Passport 3 years ago and they needed copies of the old Passport. Good that I had it.

(I always carry my entire documents to the "la Migra", so it's no problem to present, but for others maybe inconvenient as they have to go back home)

However,during a small talk with someone of the staff I knew, its because the new 'Boss" Ex General David, who "renovated" parts of the Armed Forces and is now tasked to "renovate" the Immigration.

He said it became very strict now.

Also requirements and old visas/residencies will be scrutinized for eventually "corrupt" aquired ones. That's what I predict since years, the wind blows tougher and everyone who went "shortcuts", on purpose or because naive, will face some troubles.

To the specific OP Question - Are you sure they did not say "NBI" OR "Police Clearance notarized by Embassy from abroad"?  This has been confused in the Past quiet often.( Check the runsheet, it's written their)

The 100k is depending upon what the wife wrote in her letter appliaction, because as a matter of fact its the WIFE which asks for the residency. However, sufficient income is always needed. makes sense.

I was at the Davao Immigration yesterday to hand them my paperwork for the 13a. They specifically stated I needed a authenticated FBI background check. Copy of the bank statement (showing the amount of monthly deposits), and was told that in the case of expats who have lived in the Philippines for a while that there is a chance to be also asked for a NBI clearance as well. She suggested I get one before I come back to process my paperwork again.

• Like 1
SkyMan

James, a bit off topic but sort of pertinent to your dilemmas.  I believe you're qualified to join the RAO in Cebu and if so you can receive FPO mail there and so you don't have to worry about it going through PhilPost.  To the RP consulate the address is pretty much like any other US mailing address and the mail never leaves US hands.  It would be a bit of a trip for you to pick up the mail but you can call to see what you have in or you could even get them to call you if you were waiting for something important.  Now, you also mentioned going to Manila for adding pages to your passport.  The fee for this is $82.  Renewing your passport there is $110 so for an extra $28 you get a new 10 year passport and it's free to request the extra page version.  You can also do this by mail to the State Dept in the US using the FPO mail so Manila wouldn't even be involved.

• Like 1
A_Simple_Man
They specifically stated I needed a authenticated FBI background check.

So they singled you out?  Or did they specifically state that everyone needs it?  Or just Americans?  Still clear as mud.

Headshot

I could be wrong, but I believe for the cost of courier service, RAO will send mail to his physical address (by courier) if James wishes. I think they do that for some others on Mindanao. It would probably need to be set up with RAO in advance. And...umm...the mail is sent to Cebu RAO from Subic RAO by courier if I'm not mistaken. Regardless, having the FPO address is priceless, and is extremely reliable...unlike sending anything through PhilPost.

I got my 13a in the US they asked for local police clearance. My local Sheriff said they don't do that anymore so I called the embassy and they said get a highway patrol clearance form the state. All it has to do is show I have a clean record. However no local offices could do that so I had to drive all the way to the state capital to get it done and waited several hours. The only other option was to do a background check through a local approved private agency which would cost several hundred dollars and take a few weeks.

The great thing about doing it in the US is you have no temporary it is the complete 13a. It also only cost me a $120 fee.

I think this was in 2008

By the way I heard recently that their was a new requirement started last week that you need all your receipts from previous years to get your annual check in done. Luckily I got mine the week before or it would have been another trip home to hunt them up. We now have them all safely tucked in my passport.

...........What .

I got my 13a in the US they asked for local police clearance. My local Sheriff said they don't do that anymore so I called the embassy and they said get a highway patrol clearance form the state. All it has to do is show I have a clean record. However no local offices could do that so I had to drive all the way to the state capital to get it done and waited several hours. The only other option was to do a background check through a local approved private agency which would cost several hundred dollars and take a few weeks.

I think this was in 2008

...........What receipts are you talking about?
JamesMusslewhite

They specifically stated I needed a authenticated FBI background check.

So they singled you out?  Or did they specifically state that everyone needs it?  Or just Americans?  Still clear as mud.

OK I will type slower just for you... :biggrin_01:  They stated that all those who are now applying for a 13a Visa will be required to include a national background check from their home country. In the USA that is a FBI background check. The Davao Immigration officer told me they needed a FBI background check from me. This I did question as I do not know of another US law enforcement agency that performs a national level background checks on request of US citizens? To the best of my knowledge I do not think the US FBI does national background checks for citizens of other countries, but somehow I doubt it. I would assume most countries have their own version of the FBI to assist them in obtaining this document.

The Davao Immigration officer did give us this number in case we had any further questions 826-8263.

littlejohn

Receipts from previous years annual check in. Was told their was an announcement from the BOI about it last week.

smokey

I got my 13a in the US they asked for local police clearance. My local Sheriff said they don't  do that anymore so I called the embassy and they said get a highway patrol clearance form the state. All it has to do is show I have a clean record. However no local offices could do that so I had to drive all the way to the state capital to get it done and waited several hours. The only other option was to do a background check through a local approved private agency which would cost several hundred dollars and take a few weeks.

I think this was in 2008

2008???  well you do know the acr expires in 5 years... i just had to get another card

Majorsco

FYI, here is a link to the US FBI page regarding background checks.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/background-checks

Who May Request a Copy of a Record (or Proof That a Record Does Not
Exist)

Only you can request a copy of your own Identification Record.

Individuals typically make this request for personal review, to challenge the
information on record, to satisfy a requirement for adopting a child in the U.S.
or internationally, or to satisfy a requirement to live, work, or travel in a
foreign country
(i.e., police certificate, letter of good conduct, criminal
history background, etc.).