Is this true, new requirements for 13a visa

I wonder how a person from the UK would go about asking the USA FBI for clearance.  From what I remember, they wanted a local police clearance.  I got the 13a in Cebu after living there for a year and was able to get an NBI clearance for it.

Correct they require local police clearance. They guy who asked for FBI clearance made a mistake as he thinks that every country is like the PI and asks for NBI or equivalent clearance. THe BID requirement is police clearance which is valid for 6 months

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• spooks

• JamesMusslewhite

• Monsoon

• SkyMan

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, you soft spoken guys never get anything done.

Its amazing how naturally foreigners in the Philippines talk about getting deported - as if it were a sword constantly hanging over each and every foreigners head - ready to be used for the slightest

When u initially apply for your 13 a visa the requirement are for Home police clearance, valid for 6 months from date of issue. used for the permanent visa range including SRRV. Nothing new here. Once

Posted Images

Sounds like this whole thing is a misunderstanding of FBI vs. NBI "Clearence". Each time a foreigner applies for a visa extension they get NBI clearence. 13a is no exception. And it doesn't make sense that only Americans would have to get FBI clearence and then have it notorized here in the RP? What about other countries?

This smells more than a wet market on a hot sunny day with no breeze.

When u initially apply for your 13 a visa the requirement are for Home police clearance, valid for 6 months from date of issue. used for the permanent visa range including SRRV. Nothing new here. Once here you will then get NBO clearance, nothing new in that either.  Some of you guys are determined to see corruption when the reality is the process is well laid down. The pat problem has been non enforcement which leads to assumptions that when it is enforced that something underhand is taking place when it is not.

The OP is already here in the Philippines. The "clearance" pertains to here, not in their home country.  Not sure if the OP started their application overseas at a PI embassy and has now continued the conversion from temporary to permanent whilst in the PI.  Even if done here from the start the requirements are as laid down by the BID and being asked for FBI is a mistake that is common here as most locals beleive that NBI or equivalent is required everywhere when it is not.

Hey thanks for so many replies to my question. So  you think he is mistaken over NBI clearance and FBI clearance, that would make a lot of sense. I appreciated all your comments.

CebuKano

Greetings! Local police clearence if already in PI, when I applied in US I got a police clearence from my local police department.

FBI does background checks for goverment work, and security clearence, not checking for pedos. If you have a pedo conviction, a feloney, I do not think you can get a pass port, or a visa from any country. I have met a few who acted like pedo here, they were not Americans, but locals.

Exactly.

Hey thanks for so many replies to my question. So  you think he is mistaken over NBI clearance and FBI clearance, that would make a lot of sense. I appreciated all your comments.

If he is asking for FBI clearance from your home country for a 13A visa he is mistaken and it just needs your home country police clearance.  The NBI here will do their own clearance including finger printing.  Too many jump to conclusions that corruption is what drives this. The reality is that ignorance drives many of the problems.  BID has been cleared up by firstly Ledesma, he is the guy that foreigners can thank that prevents unwarranted arrests on frivolous charges, those days are gone. Davide the new guy in BID has built on Ledesma efforts and he so much followed it that he asked Ledesma to return as hs right hand and continue the good work, he has. 

The bad old days of the BID are going, the satellite offices have also had their collars felt when it was clear that odd things were happening. A good example was guys flying to Manila to do their paperwork, when asked why they said it was cheaper to fly and pay for hotels than deal with the local office who were authorized to act  Local offices especially in places like CDO were 're trained'. Not sure if the guys still by-pass that office or now deal with it and just complain that it takes longer etc.

Edited by spooks
Davaoeno

My gf got an NBI clearance - they spelt her name wrong

I got an NBI clearance - it stated that I was a Philippine citizen . 

• Like 1

My gf got an NBI clearance - they spelt her name wrong

I got an NBI clearance - it stated that I was a Philippine citizen . 

100% now that can't be bad :yahoo:

JamesMusslewhite

I am going to to the terminal with my wife now to catch the bus to travel down to the Philippine immigration office in the mid morning of tomorrow to file the paperwork for my 13a. The  Immigration website does say these requirements are necessary, so I will let you know when I am back Wednesday morning..

I'd have figured you'd have had your 13A years ago James.

Problem was with my wife's paperwork when we moved here. First she had to reapply for her Filipino citizenship (document processed in two parts), apply for an authenticated copy of our US Marriage certificate (document has to processed in the US, because the Philippine Conciliate does not trust mailing the documents directly here) , and she had to return back to her home of record in Bohol to apply for an actual Filipino Birth Certificate because all she ever had was her baptismal paper which they finally  completed 2 weeks ago. Not too bad, it only took them 1-1/2 years to complete 3 task that would have taken less than 3 months to complete in the US.

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

I am going to to the terminal with my wife now to catch the bus to travel down to the Philippine immigration office in the mid morning of tomorrow to file the paperwork for my 13a. The  Immigration website does say these requirements are necessary, so I will let you know when I am back Wednesday morning..

Problem was with my wife's paperwork when we moved here. First she had to reapply for her Filipino citizenship (document processed in two parts), apply for an authenticated copy of our US Marriage certificate (document has to processed in the US, because the Philippine Conciliate does not trust mailing the documents directly here) , and she had to return back to her home of record in Bohol to apply for an actual Filipino Birth Certificate because all she ever had was her baptismal paper which they finally  completed 2 weeks ago. Not too bad, it only took them 1-1/2 years to complete 3 task that would have taken less than 3 months to complete in the US.

So James did you learn about any new requirements? I guess the big concern for guys looking to convert their probationary to permanent is if they have to get a clearance from their home country, some countries (like the US) could require a personal visit to get the background clearance. They usually (FBI anyway) requires fingerprints to do it. Flying back to the states (or other countries) to get a piece of paper could be a big burden for some.

SkyMan
and she had to return back to her home of record in Bohol to apply for an actual Filipino Birth Certificate because all she ever had was her baptismal paper which they finally completed 2 weeks ago.
How did you get her to the US without a BC?  I would have thought that would be required by the US even if the NSO wasn't around yet.
JamesMusslewhite

Here is the deal.

1.) They are requiring a National police clearance in the home country of the applicant. In the US that is an FBI clearance, That clearance then must be sent to the appropriate Philippine Conciliate/ Embassy to be authenticated, then it must be sent to a residence in that country because they do not trust sending documents to the Philippines. I guess they can not insure that document will be safely delivered to the Filipino address and they are afraid of scammers/ con-artist. I also believe that by doing so they are not held accountable.

2.) You will be required to show a Filipino bank account showing regular deposit of funds to the Philippine account as proof of financial stability. I asked about the 100,000P minimum requirement in the OP and she they did not know of such a figure. She did say that to open an account would show the 50,000P amount required to open the account. Any addition account statements of accounts from countries outside the Philippines can be included but will only be considered as supplementary documents only. If you wish to use your wife's farms, investment properties, or businesses as proof of annually income; then you will have to have a BIR included in you documents.

3.) If you have lived in the Philippines for a while than it may also be required for you to include an NBI clearance as well. So, it might be in your best interest to have one completed and included with your documentation in advance to help avoid the potential problems if they so choose to request one of you.

Non of this is even mentioned on the official Philippines Immigration website. So surprise....

JamesMusslewhite

and she had to return back to her home of record in Bohol to apply for an actual Filipino Birth Certificate because all she ever had was her baptismal paper which they finally completed 2 weeks ago.

How did you get her to the US without a BC?  I would have thought that would be required by the US even if the NSO wasn't around yet.

The Baptismal document was sufficient in lieu of a Birth Certificate for her Filipino passport and the US paperwork required for the Fiance Visa back in 1987. It is required now for the spouse when applying for her husband for the 13a Visa. Even with her US passport, US Citizenship Document, other supporting US identification it is still a required document. She had to return to her birthplace in Trinidad Bohol and request a birth certificate. It was lucky for her because she is the Grand-niece of Carlos P. Garcia and was born in the family compound. He family who are in power in the region knew of her birth there and were able to support her claim. If not than perhaps she could have been refused the request. Without that document no 13a. That Filipino Baptismal document was sufficient for her to process the documents for her duel-citizenship repatriation; but is not sufficient in the application for a 13a Visa for her spouse, they require a Filipino birth certificate only. You have to love bureaucracy...

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

The Baptismal document was sufficient in lieu of a Birth Certificate for her Filipino passport and the US paperwork required for the Fiance Visa back in 1987. It is required now for the spouse when applying for her husband for the 13a Visa. Even with her US passport, US Citizenship Document, other supporting US identification it is still a required document. She had to return to her birthplace in Trinidad Bohol and request a birth certificate. It was lucky for her because she is the Grand-niece of Carlos P. Garcia and was born in the family compound. He family who are in power in the region knew of her birth there and were able to support her claim. If not than perhaps she could have been refused the request. Without that document no 13a. That Filipino Baptismal document was sufficient for her to process the documents for her duel-citizenship repatriation; but is not sufficient in the application for a 3a Visa for her spouse, they require a Filipino birth certificate only. You have to love bureaucracy...

Here is the deal.

1.) They are requiring a National police clearance in the home country of the applicant. In the US that is an FBI clearance, That clearance then must be sent to the appropriate Philippine Conciliate/ Embassy to be authenticated, then it must be sent to a residence in that country because they do not trust sending documents to the Philippines. I guess they can not insure that document will be safely delivered to the Filipino address and they are afraid of scammers/ con-artist. I also believe that by doing so they are not held accountable.

Whats your plan for #1 James? I think they require fingerprints. Wonder if the Embassy can take them. But then where do people have the FBI paperwork sent you? Just hope for friends or family in the states to send it to a Philippine embassy/consulate for them?

JamesMusslewhite

So James did you learn about any new requirements? I guess the big concern for guys looking to convert their probationary to permanent is if they have to get a clearance from their home country, some countries (like the US) could require a personal visit to get the background clearance. They usually (FBI anyway) requires fingerprints to do it. Flying back to the states (or other countries) to get a piece of paper could be a big burden for some.

I plan on trying to travel up to Manila to go to the VA facility and plan to go to the US Embassy to get additional pages added to my passport. I will ask the officials the US Embassy if they can help assist in this process. If not, than we may be required to return just for this new document requirement.

For years I have commented how the bad behavior of a few could have repercussions on all expats at a letter date. Well here it is. There may not be a "Grandfather clause" for this requirement as it might apply to those who have already received there 13a Visa. It is very plausible that those currently with 13a will be confronted with this new requirement when they go to renew their 13a visas. So a few doorknobs and problem children have now officially queered it up for everyone living here...  Perhaps soon all incoming expats will need authenticated national background clearances just to get a Tourist Visa renewed?

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
JamesMusslewhite

The Baptismal document was sufficient in lieu of a Birth Certificate for her Filipino passport and the US paperwork required for the Fiance Visa back in 1987. It is required now for the spouse when applying for her husband for the 13a Visa. Even with her US passport, US Citizenship Document, other supporting US identification it is still a required document. She had to return to her birthplace in Trinidad Bohol and request a birth certificate. It was lucky for her because she is the Grand-niece of Carlos P. Garcia and was born in the family compound. He family who are in power in the region knew of her birth there and were able to support her claim. If not than perhaps she could have been refused the request. Without that document no 13a. That Filipino Baptismal document was sufficient for her to process the documents for her duel-citizenship repatriation; but is not sufficient in the application for a 3a Visa for her spouse, they require a Filipino birth certificate only. You have to love bureaucracy...

>Here is the deal.

Whats your plan for #1 James? I think they require fingerprints. Wonder if the Embassy can take them. But then where do people have the FBI paperwork sent you? Just hope for friends or family in the states to send it to a Philippine embassy/consulate for them?

I plan on asking the US Embassy if they can assist. I know that when we encountered the problem with our officially notarized and sealed Texas Marriage Certificate required to be authenticated by the Philippine Conciliate in LA, we found that the Filipino Conciliate would not send the document to ant address in the Philippines. They would send it to any US address we requested and it was up to someone else to mail it back to us. Being that only the Original could be used, we decided that it was best that my wife wait until she returned to the US and mail it to the Conciliate herself and then have them send it back to her in the US. This new rule will cause many hardships and financial burdens for expats wanting their 13a Visas.