Sign in to follow this  
Keith46

Still required urgently type A+ Davao City

Keith46

If you can find a way to transfer it (I think Daisy said the red cross could facilitate) I'm still willing to donate, just need to know where to go.

I don't think there's much point in getting more blood,the "doc" has changed his diagnosis again.

SkyMan

im a/b pos live in compostela.im 74 not sure if thats too old but used to donote on a reg basis in cal till about 10 years ago

Thank you for the offer but the cut off age is 50 and for some strange reason they are very strict with that, I'mm 66 and they won't let me donate.

They will look for any excuse possible to deny a free donor so the patient has to pay p5K+ from their blood bank.  It's major BS.  I'm not able to donate at this time because I was under general anestesia within the last year.  The 50 year age limit is another BS.

When I was done with my hospital stay for my accident the Dr said I needed 2 units of blood I should have before I went home.  I told him no way and I'd go home and make my own.  He said I might get dizzy.  I said my leg is broken and I'll be in bed a couple weeks anyway so if I get dizzy I won't be falling far.

A friend of mine went home 3 pints low.  I might have thought about getting one pint in that situation.

Edited by SkyMan

Headshot

If you can find a way to transfer it (I think Daisy said the red cross could facilitate) I'm still willing to donate, just need to know where to go.

I don't think there's much point in getting more blood,the "doc" has changed his diagnosis again.

If there is no longer a need, would you like the topic closed?

Keith46

I will wait until tomorrow to see what the situation is with my father-in-law. At the moment dispite having several blood platelet transfusions he platelet level has dropped to 20 which is very serious.

lazydays

I will wait until tomorrow to see what the situation is with my father-in-law. At the moment dispite having several blood platelet transfusions he platelet level has dropped to 20 which is very serious.

Has he got Dengue Fever ?

Keith46

Has he got Dengue Fever ?

No I don't think so,I've had that and the symptoms were completely different.

• Like 1

Daisy

As per my conversation with the RED CROSS employee here in CDO, Keith will need a person who is a regular blood donor  that have donated at least 5 times because his father in law needs platelet apheresis. This is what makes it so hard.

If you are first time donor, cut off age is 50. If regular donor, it is 65 years old.

• Like 2

Davaoeno
If regular donor, it is 65 years old.

Does that mean regular anywhere, or regular only in the Philippines Daisy ?

Daisy

If regular donor, it is 65 years old.

Does that mean regular anywhere, or regular only in the Philippines Daisy ?

As long as you have the medical records showing that you've been donating blood, I guess redcross here will consider it. it's for the donor's protection that they are doing it too.

Steve

Keith

I hope everything is going well for your Father-In-Law. Do you still need this request open?

Keith46

Things are not going to well but you may as well close this post as I am not getting any responses.Thank you.

Steve

I'm sorry to hear Keith. I'll see if my wife can call her Aunt in Davao and see if she knows anyone who might be compatible. 

Headshot

Type A blood is much less rare in Asian populations than it is in Caucasian populations. Going to the Filipino population might get better results.

Daisy

Type A blood is much less rare in Asian populations than it is in Caucasian populations. Going to the Filipino population might get better results.

Yes this type A is common blood type among Filipinos but the requirement of this kind of blood transfusion is for the donor to be a regular donor who have donated at least 5 times already in the past.  Finding  a platelet apheresis donor is  harder than finding any Negative type of blood  for me,  at least!   I gathered this information in CDO RED CROSS personnel.

Keith46

Yes this type A is common blood type among Filipinos but the requirement of this kind of blood transfusion is for the donor to be a regular donor who have donated at least 5 times already in the past.  Finding  a platelet apheresis donor is  harder than finding any Negative type of blood  for me,  at least!   I gathered this information in CDO RED CROSS personnel.

I'm A negative and have donated 36 times but the Red Cross don't want my blood.