Sign in to follow this  
POTATOMAN

bacolod

POTATOMAN

honestly the nicest people, the safest & most comfortable i have felt & i really cant think why i would want to stay but i really don't want to leave. i went jeep travelling yesterday (my first day) got hopelessly lost; there was people leaving restaurants to help me, flagging down jeeps; saying "get a taxi you t*at" it was heart warming.

don't believe the hype - most people here are really friendly (i'm talking the philippines) yeah there are some bas***** but you get them everywhere. i've taken buses all over - no problem at all (ok i look like a serial killer

Edited by POTATOMAN
  • Like 1

shadow

honestly the nicest people, the safest & most comfortable i have felt & i really cant think why i would want to stay but i really don't want to leave. i went jeep travelling yesterday (my first day) got hopelessly lost; there was people leaving restaurants to help me, flagging down jeeps; saying "get a taxi you t*at" it was heart warming.

don't believe the hype - most people here are really friendly (i'm talking the philippines) yeah there are some bas***** but you get them everywhere. i've taken buses all over - no problem at all (ok i look like a serial killer

Bacolod is a nice city, I don't understand why there are not a lot more foreigners living there, with the exception the language barrier it being Ilongo rather than Bisayan.

CardiacKid

When we visited Bacolod we were impressed by the same things. It seems a different country after Cebu.

Bonjon

i agree - great place

Paul

Frank, just near the Convergys, there is a small steak house, Filpino owned. (Looking from across the street, it would be to the left of the Convergys building.) When I was last in Bacolod, that place was fantastic. Give it a try. The street is Lacson Street, in Bacolod.

jtmwatchbiz

i haven't visited bacolod yet but my wife goes there for biz often and we get some nice vintage watches from that area so i think there is alot of old money there.

panther

just moved here 8 days ago and I like the place better than cebu ,although we have had 5 brown outs out of the 8 days which ive been told is very unusual ,The temprature is much cooler than cebu and i,m now living without aircon ,in fact for a few nights ive seen locals wearing jumpers because it was quite chilly with the winds blowing.There is less traffic on the roads but lots of carabows pulling their carts ,we are surrounded by sugar plantations in our baranguy .I,ve never been a city type so i,m loving it here .

• Like 2

Monsoon

i think there is alot of old money there.

Loads of it. Old sugar money.

POTATOMAN

Frank, just near the Convergys, there is a small steak house, Filpino owned. (Looking from across the street, it would be to the left of the Convergys building.) When I was last in Bacolod, that place was fantastic. Give it a try. The street is Lacson Street, in Bacolod.

yes i know lacson st spend a lot of time in lucky break bar; it's mostly young friendly filipinos with the odd foreigner, nice bar though.went to homu lamb restaurant yesterday & got invited down the coast by an aussie guy & his wife, seem really nice & hey they have a house on the beach & a boat. took 3 girls from homu out for pizza later, nice girls not my usual style; love it here

• Like 1

Paul

And, you will find you can trust the medical facilities (in the larger cities anyway), MUCH more than you can in Sihanoukville. Medical care here would be about like it is in the provincial towns in the Philippines.

udonthani

nightlife is good in Bacolod, and it's the better for it, because there are hardly any foreigners, Goldenfields area is where they've earmarked most of it and easily accessible by jeepney, although meter taxis are profuse in Bacolod, unlike Dumaguete. After Cebu and Dumaguete, Bacolod is just easy easy easy.

liquido

Is it true the new airport is really far from the city? Heard its a 400p taxi ride to the city? Any suggestions for a centrally located Hotel there in the 700-1200p range..Bacolod has always been on my list......

Edited by liquido

udonthani

yeah it's a way out, the taxi is actually 500, not 400 - maybe you could negotiate less but that's what I paid, having come direct from Europe. There is a share service and also jeepneys from the airport available I took a share taxi back to the airport, for 150 that picks up from various hotels in town. I could have really done with bike hire in Bacolod, but couldn't find anybody, even among friends who could rent me one, There are a number of cities in the Philippines where you wish you could hire a bike but can have big trouble finding one to rent - Bacolod is one but CDO, Tacloban and Ormoc are others.

udonthani

Any suggestions for a centrally located Hotel there in the 700-1200p range.

http://www.circleinnph.com/hotel-rooms/

try that place. Proper hotel, nice restaurant with big buffet breakfast for 218, the place has a quite nice pool, all for only 1050 for the standard rooms not quite in the very epicenter of town but only a few minutes on a jeepney or meter taxi.

shadow

Is it true the new airport is really far from the city? Heard its a 400p taxi ride to the city? Any suggestions for a centrally located Hotel there in the 700-1200p range..Bacolod has always been on my list......

We usually stay at the 11th street bed and breakfast,...

it's on 11th street!