Mobile Money Exchange

datkins587

datkins587

I need to change about $7000 USD to buy a car and I’m not too keen walking around to the money exchange booths with that much cash. I have heard there may be ones that come to you for larger amounts. If anyone knows of a trusted one send me a message with contact info. I would appreciate it very much.

Not sure I'd want to have someone come to my house for that either, I'd prefer people not think I have large amounts of currency available. Maybe open a bank account so you can exchange it through the bank? (not sure if banks give decent exchange rates here or not) At least then it'll be done inside a secured building and you could give the dealer a check or have the person meet you at the bank if its an individual.

datkins587

Thats why I asked for a trusted one. I do bank at BPI but the rate there is a lot less than most the exchange booths. Yesterday I got quoted 39.8 at my BPI branch.

smokey

just dont do it all in one time i broke mine up with 5,000 at a time .. best rate i found was raintree alcon ... by Robinson even 1/2 peso adds up with doing thousands.. also ask if they will take us some want us and plan on sending the money out

Thats why I asked for a trusted one. I do bank at BPI but the rate there is a lot less than most the exchange booths. Yesterday I got quoted 39.8 at my BPI branch.

yesterday at e mall i saw 40.40 and at rustans in talisay 40.45 i bet raintree will be 40.50 at least

Scottiev

i found the money changer at Park Mall is usually the best exchange rate , usually very close to the daily rate posted online...Best part is no darned paperwork.hand them the US bills and get pesos back..I do have to say the most i've exchanged there at once was just $1000 US..

Edited by Scottiev
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

I need to change about $7000 USD to buy a car and I’m not too keen walking around to the money exchange booths with that much cash. I have heard there may be ones that come to you for larger amounts. If anyone knows of a trusted one send me a message with contact info. I would appreciate it very much.

Sorry I don't know of one in Cebu. But I bet your seller will be happy to take $. Get it close in $ and balance it out in Peso.

For Real

The biggest issue is the fact that people are killed for $50, and you are going to carry 140 x this around people you don't know.

Exchange rate is secondary. Never have the car delivered to your home. Do the transfer inside a bank where you change the money & offer to drive the seller to his bank in safety

• Like 1

The biggest issue is the fact that people are killed for $50, and you are going to carry 140 x this around people you don't know.

Exchange rate is secondary. Never have the car delivered to your home. Do the transfer inside a bank where you change the money & offer to drive the seller to his bank in safety

Many just take a jeepney to the mall or bank...save even more money. Learn the hard way.

datkins587

Well its done now anyway. I went to Mims on Gorordo, they gave me 40.65 which isn't bad considering what BPI offered me. She did tell me next time I need that much money they will meet me at my bank and do it there instead. I guess they just transfer it right into your pesos account. That said I would still have to take the pesos back out of the bank and give to the seller. The seller is Hilton the surplus car dealer. So I would think or at least hope it would be safe to pay them in their own office.

Edited by datkins587
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

just dont do it all in one time i broke mine up with 5,000 at a time .. best rate i found was raintree alcon

Thats the place I've always used in the past. Amazing how much money changing is going on there any time I've been.

ed villas

A member of this FORUM a MR LEE he can give you some advice or suggestions that WILL SAVE YOU MONEY,

since you cant PM ,maybe he can contact you.

convert that money in a BANK MANAGER CHECK. thats the safest

• Like 1
smokey

Well its done now anyway. I went to Mims on Gorordo, they gave me 40.65 which isn't bad considering what BPI offered me. She did tell me next time I need that much money they will meet me at my bank and do it there instead. I guess they just transfer it right into your pesos account. That said I would still have to take the pesos back out of the bank and give to the seller. The seller is Hilton the surplus car dealer. So I would think or at least hope it would be safe to pay them in their own office.

and what did you buy from hilton ? we have purchased two surplus units from them over the years and they have always been fair... are you buying the 911 the black one with the whale tale ? no them guys love cars and it shows

udonthani

thought one of those jolly mobile exchange dealer vans, which you see in the tourist Thai cities, had been spotted in Cebu for a minute after reading the topic header. Saw one in Chiang Mai once that would actually accept Filipine pesos once, at a time when few forex dealers would touch them in Thailand.

datkins587

I originally was trying to buy a Toyota Vios from a private party but we just couldn’t come to terms. I ended up buying a Honda Spike from Hilton. It looks a little like a Nissan Cube but bigger. The odd thing is that Hilton sent me to a place called Galaxy Auto to look at their vehicles there. I sure hope its still part of Hilton.

A_Simple_Man

Some filipina hustler came to the gate yesterday and the wife was all excited because the filipina said she was a coin collector and would buy all her foreign coins. The wife has quite a few (that she hounds me for everytime I came back from a trip) and she went to try to sell them. She came back disappointed "The lady did wanted to buy my Canadian pennies but she only wanted to give me one peso for them so I said no"

I thought that was a scam at the time but wait a minute, 40 pesos = 100 pennies so we would be getting a heckuva deal to sell them for a peso each. Anyway, too late now but that.s the only mobile money exchanger I have met.

• Like 1