Sign in to follow this  
Mik

What is the procedure to license firearms here?

the.lone.gunman

Sure you can, but get into trouble and see how valid your permit is.

Exactly why I declined.

delancey

What you have is a fraudulent document that won't hold up in court, if you ever have to use the gun.

If the topic of this thread actually mattered at this point that would sum it up.

Just because an official looking person gives you official looking documents that make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside those dcuments don't automatically become valid.

• Like 1

the.lone.gunman

If the topic of this thread actually mattered at this point that would sum it up.

Just because an official looking person gives you official looking documents that make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside those dcuments don't automatically become valid.

You are right of course and i would never take the chance...but i had to scratch my head over it cuz these guys were : an army major, a Baguio cop, a gun range / gun shop owner and half a dozen military / paramilitary types from Baguio to Cebu. These are guys who know and enforce the laws so I thought that maybe their offers were legit. Whatever, I wouldn't risk it.

Lee

Rules and laws are pliable in the Philippines, depending on who is reading them and wants to adjust them to fit their need. Quite a few years ago I too was offered a permit for a firearm and I questioned the official and they told me that nothing is written in stone in the Philippines and if I wanted a permit, then he would get me one, it is all who you know and who wants to know you. Apparently there was back then some type of exclusion they could toss in for foreign business people who carried a lot of cash, for those who shoot in competitions, diplomats and there was one other exclusion but I do not remember right now what it was. Things may have changed since then, or recently when things were tightened up a bit but if I wanted a permit and the correct official was willing to sign it, then I would not worry about it being illegal, the problem may come about renewing it when that official is no longer in charge or a major issue might come about if any of us had to shoot anyone with said firearm but to use the firearm in competition only, then I would not worry about that at all and especially when so many people were telling you the same thing. The main thing would be to get it in writing from as many of those officials as possible that it is legal for you to own one. 

• Like 1

lokias

I am not a lawyer but i hope this helps.

REPUBLIC ACT NO. 10591

ARTICLE II

OWNERSHIP AND POSSESSION OF FIREARMS

SEC. 4. Standards and Requisites for Issuance of and Obtaining a License to Own and Possess Firearms. – In order to qualify and acquire a license to own and possess a firearm or firearms and ammunition, the applicant must be a Filipino citizen, at least twenty-one (21) years old and has gainful work, occupation or business or has filed an Income Tax Return (ITR) for the preceding year as proof of income, profession, business or occupation.

ARTICLE IV

SEC. 22. Deposit of Firearms by Persons Arriving From Abroad. – A person arriving in the Philippines who is legally in possession of any firearm or ammunition in his/her country of origin and who has declared the existence of the firearm upon embarkation and disembarkation but whose firearm is not registered in the Philippines in accordance with this Act shall deposit the same upon written receipt with the Collector of Customs for delivery to the FEO of the PNP for safekeeping, or for the issuance of a permit to transport if the person is a competitor in a sports shooting competition. If the importation of the same is allowed and the party in question desires to obtain a domestic firearm license, the same should be undertaken in accordance with the provisions of this Act. If no license is desired or leave to import is not granted, the firearm or ammunition in question shall remain in the custody of the FEO of the PNP until otherwise disposed of in-accordance with law.

for the full doc http://www.gov.ph/2013/05/29/republic-act-no-10591/

Edited by lokias
  • Like 2

the.lone.gunman

I am not a lawyer but i hope this helps.

REPUBLIC ACT NO. 10591

ARTICLE II

OWNERSHIP AND POSSESSION OF FIREARMS

SEC. 4. Standards and Requisites for Issuance of and Obtaining a License to Own and Possess Firearms. – In order to qualify and acquire a license to own and possess a firearm or firearms and ammunition, the applicant must be a Filipino citizen, at least twenty-one (21) years old and has gainful work, occupation or business or has filed an Income Tax Return (ITR) for the preceding year as proof of income, profession, business or occupation.

ARTICLE IV

SEC. 22. Deposit of Firearms by Persons Arriving From Abroad. – A person arriving in the Philippines who is legally in possession of any firearm or ammunition in his/her country of origin and who has declared the existence of the firearm upon embarkation and disembarkation but whose firearm is not registered in the Philippines in accordance with this Act shall deposit the same upon written receipt with the Collector of Customs for delivery to the FEO of the PNP for safekeeping, or for the issuance of a permit to transport if the person is a competitor in a sports shooting competition. If the importation of the same is allowed and the party in question desires to obtain a domestic firearm license, the same should be undertaken in accordance with the provisions of this Act. If no license is desired or leave to import is not granted, the firearm or ammunition in question shall remain in the custody of the FEO of the PNP until otherwise disposed of in-accordance with law.

for the full doc http://www.gov.ph/2013/05/29/republic-act-no-10591/

Thanks for the info, that clears it up for me.....Some of my buds ( Canucks and Yanks ) participated in the IPSC World Shoot in 1999 in Cebu. They flew in with their guns and were permitted to carry them with no reported problems......except for that little snag in Hong Kong hehehe, cuz one of our guys was of Chinese descent......but they had no problems in the PI.

Lee

As I wrote before, there are exceptions for a number of things, competition shooting being one of them. I am also pretty sure that the first section ownership can be overruled for a business license, possibly the firearm has to be in the corporate name if I remember correctly but like anything else, it can be done under either of those circumstances or others, just like we cannot own land but we can lease it, so possibly the gun shop sells it to us but under a lifetime lease agreement or something along those lines... If you have money and the right connections in the Philippines then almost anything is possible....

Jawny

The law(s) regarding gun ownership have been recently updated. The result was a method similar to a driver's license.....meaning a license to own and possess is obtained by an individual. Once obtained, this entitles the license holder to have differing numbers of guns. The basic individual permit allows for two guns. More guns for different permits/categories.

I don't recall any category for foreign ownership.

The license itself is obtained by an individual and this requires several bureaucratic hoops to jump through. Essentially it is the same as in the past. For example, in the past, the gun shops were allowed to assist in the process. This resulted in a lot of licenses being issued with falsified medical, paychological exams as well as gun safety seminar attendance etc. This may explain why so many times foreigners were offered the "services" of others to get a permit.

Now the process is more directly controlled by the PNP.