Sign in to follow this  
Ogami

Concrete Cleaning

Ogami

Our concrete (with a little color) gets these ugly black streaks -- just like what you see on the unpainted block walls all over town. Is there a way to clean it? And products to recommend? Looks like hell.

Davaoeno

if its finished i can often get by by using bleach. If that doesnt work I use muriatic acid and a scrub brush.

• Like 2

thebob

Buy a pressure washer. They clean concrete and make it look like new.

Davaoeno

Buy a pressure washer. They clean concrete and make it look like new.

just be careful using a pressure washer. Previously i had a gas operated one that put out 3000 psi and it could take the surface right off of the concrete if i wasnt careful

• Like 1

CardiacKid

if its finished i can often get by by using bleach. If that doesnt work I use muriatic acid and a scrub brush.

Best answer. Be very careful you do not use a wire brush. Most concrete here is so soft you will damage it.

Jester

the black is generally, but not alwys mold or alge. I would try a 50/50 mix of water and liquid bleach on a small out of the way stain. If it is mold or alge you are trying to kill it, not wash it away so long term exposure to the bleach is best. A rag soaked with mixture left on overnight should be sufficent, if the rag dries quickly cover it with plastic. If not working a Google search is in order.

Whiner

• Like 2

streak03

I bought a pressure washer in Thailand a while back and had it shipped back to the house in a BB box, I pressure wash the house once a year, the gardener uses it on the roof as well to get all the mold, etc off. I normally use a small pump sprayer filled with bleach, spray that on first, let it set for a bit, then pressure wash it off. Worked in Florida and works well here too.

• Like 1

panther

I bought a pressure washer in Thailand a while back and had it shipped back to the house in a BB box, I pressure wash the house once a year, the gardener uses it on the roof as well to get all the mold, etc off. I normally use a small pump sprayer filled with bleach, spray that on first, let it set for a bit, then pressure wash it off. Worked in Florida and works well here too.

thats a good little business idea going round cleaning peopes houses not for us foreigners but a family set up business ..we had our aircons cleaned recently these two locals turned up with a brand new little compressor they charged 600 pesos for 2 units and were at the house no more than an hour not bad money for a local

smokey

thats a good little business idea going round cleaning peopes houses not for us foreigners but a family set up business ..we had our aircons cleaned recently these two locals turned up with a brand new little compressor they charged 600 pesos for 2 units and were at the house no more than an hour not bad money for a local

sure you could be the power washer dude... they have some cool things to use for cleaning these days... even DRY ice cleans like a sand blaster without the damage

• Like 1

MrSuave

I usually used bleach for the black mold. I've also used boiling water, I'm sure steam would work too.

Ogami

So these pressure washers are the same ones the air con servicemen use to clean aircons? The little electric pumpers?

btw, I do believe it's mold of some sort...Our clay rooftiles have the same issue...

Edited by Ogami

Jester

Whenuseing bleach, a quick swipe will work for somethings. But for many, long exposure is needed. There is no table or chart that I know of forexposure times. So thelonger the better, I am talking hours not minutes. Then of course there isthe surface, stainless steel is solid, concrete is pourous and will requre longer times.

Look on pressure washer for pressure adjustment, use as low a pressure as possible. Some people have been known to destroy perfectly good items by using too much pressure! A high pressure washer can cut wires, destroy radiators, or strip paint, careful! Whiner

• Like 1

the boss

Clean stuff in the US daily.

Muratic Acid is the most extreme, only use that to etch concrete before painting or patching.

Most effective way to clean a pourous surface is use bleach.

I ain't sure about in the PI.

In the US you can get it in concetrations as high as 10%  with added surficants that icrease the effectiveness.

In aquas solution in contact with the algae it will kill it in 10 minutes.

STILL have to pressure wash it off.

Suggest to clean it and seal and paint it.

then you only washing the outside of the paint film.