CHB Walls-Blocks In Line Or Staggered?

smokey

1.788 M Here is a pic of basically the same house standing alone [ i built it 2 years ago ]

looks pretty good there davao does it come with a pool ?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Davaoeno

• smokey

• shadow

• SkyMan

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

CMU's Concrete Masonry Units, are quite different to "Hollow Blocks"!     I can't understand why you would hire an engineer and then not follow his advise.     cebubird, I understand that buil

It would seem that the engineer's reasoning on strength would be correct with normal Philippine CHB (which has no structural strength on its own anyway). Normal Philippine CHB is used for nothing more

Never seen a block wall made like the here in Austraila before,, my thinking is that there is only morter holding the columns to eachother and they could move independent of eachother and crack along

Posted Images

smokey

In my experience here [ and I admit it is only in the Davao area] I have never heard of a house built by a contractor. Every one i have seen or heard about here was built by an architect or an engineer .

Perhaps it is different where you live

well here in cebu we had an engineer who acted as the contractor also

In my experience here [ and I admit it is only in the Davao area] I have never heard of a house built by a contractor. Every one i have seen or heard about here was built by an architect or an engineer .

Perhaps it is different where you live

Then the architect or the engineer is the contractor!

• Like 3
Stranded Shipscook

Perhaps you are forgetting about those things that ties them all together.. The important bits..Structural Posts, Beams, Lots of rebar going horizontally and vertically from these posts and beams through the middle of the blocks,tied with galvanized wire and then filled with concrete.

Next time you see a wall like that with a tough render finish and two coats of paint,give it a good kick..

Test your Lego theory!!..lol.

Really ?

:idontknow:

So you say, it's doesn't matter if staggered or not ? Fine with me.

Stranded Shipscook

That isn't a valid experiment. Stacked dry blocks are only relying on friction. That isn't the case with a finished wall.

LOL,

you forget that everything is friction...

just go to the molekular level. :yahoo:

thebob

LOL,

you forget that everything is friction...

just go to the molekular level. :yahoo:

At the molecular level it is either the strong or weak nuclear force!

Guys all I'm saying is that if you buy a car, you don't walk around the factory and ask questions about every weld.

If you know something about building then you may have an idea, but it isn't your contractors job to teach you how to build a house.

Edited by thebob
  • Like 1

Guys all I'm saying is that if you buy a car, you don't walk around the factory and ask questions about every weld.

I went with my wifes parents when they were looking at new(well newer then what they had) multicabs and her father certainly checked out welds and asked a great many questions about it.

If you're paying money to someone for a service, its whoever your payings job to make sure you're happy. If that means answering some questions then they can be pissed all the way to the bank, or quit.

• Like 4
Davaoeno
What is particularly aggravating a

to quote the much overused phrase - " life is more fun .....etc "

SkyMan
I can't understand why you would hire an engineer and then not follow his advise.
You hire an engineer because you pretty much have to to meet local requirements. However, the vast majority of the direction from his customers is "Get it done as cheap as possible" and not "Get it done right because I'm going to be stuck with this a long time." He's not used to having customers that actually know what right means.
JamesMusslewhite

seems I remember a member started a thread on the forum a couple of years back on this very same topic with links to certifiable information on the non staggering hollow block construction style. Seems it was a couple of years back and it was very informative thread..

• 2 weeks later...
Thelandofku-an

Structural integrity for what purpose? They are simply a rebar reinforced space filler. End of story.

That's what I've always thought as well. CHB's here are Filipino drywall.

We used 8 inch CHB on our house in Bohol, but only because we wanted the aesthetic of thick walls.

Supposedly in Manila they use a heavy duty 8 chb in some single story projects and those chb's are structural and if fact there's no need for the rebar beams and columns that normally provide strength.

http://siva-ph.jobstreet.com/SiVA11/Company/ViewProfile.aspx?token=HNCDEILTo1t/ib2HwVmABk1NUVsofEUlyPutEDdziN8=&rnd=63153522&max=1#.UQQHckdnGSo

I would of suggested to lay the blocks staggered. I was a mason apprentice for awhile, and this is how we always did it. 

• 3 weeks later...

seems I remember a member started a thread on the forum a couple of years back on this very same topic with links to certifiable information on the non staggering hollow block construction style. Seems it was a couple of years back and it was very informative thread..

good to see someone back on the subject