CHB Walls-Blocks In Line Or Staggered?

shadow

In my experience the workers dont work for the owner- they work for the builder , and do what the builder tells them to do - not what the owner tells them to do .

I had a lot of problems because the owner was always trying to tell my workers how to do things . They being filipinos didnt want to cause problems, or dispute anything , so just tried to say whatever he wanted until I could come and tell the guy that he was getting what the agreement said, and that if he wanted something different it would cost him more [ unless the same cost then i had no problem giving him what he wanted]

In your case, you were the contractor/builder, so I would agree with you. However, Bill did not say he had hired a contractor, only masons. I assume maybe his workers are all on a 'per day" status, in which case they work for him and should do it his way without question.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Davaoeno

• smokey

• shadow

• SkyMan

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

CMU's Concrete Masonry Units, are quite different to "Hollow Blocks"!     I can't understand why you would hire an engineer and then not follow his advise.     cebubird, I understand that buil

It would seem that the engineer's reasoning on strength would be correct with normal Philippine CHB (which has no structural strength on its own anyway). Normal Philippine CHB is used for nothing more

Never seen a block wall made like the here in Austraila before,, my thinking is that there is only morter holding the columns to eachother and they could move independent of eachother and crack along

Posted Images

Davaoeno

In your case, you were the contractor/builder, so I would agree with you. However, Bill did not say he had hired a contractor, only masons. I assume maybe his workers are all on a 'per day" status, in which case they work for him and should do it his way without question.

sorry, I thought you were talking about cebubird, who said : [ in response to thebob's post saying " I would suggest that you just leave the engineer and contractor to get on with their job. If you question their every move you will only make them angry."

Posted Yesterday, 10:22 AM

Checked with our engineer and he said there was 2 schools of thought on that, but he said studies had shown that the walls were same in strength no matter which way the blocks were laid.

Edited by Davaoeno
smokey

sorry, I thought you were talking about cebubird, who said : [ in response to thebob's post saying " I would suggest that you just leave the engineer and contractor to get on with their job. If you question their every move you will only make them angry."

Checked with our engineer and he said there was 2 schools of thought on that, but he said studies had shown that the walls were same in strength no matter which way the blocks were laid.

let the foreigner be in charge so if the wall falls its HIS fault

• Like 1
Davaoeno
That's the way it is the US.

I totally agree !!! However, -----[ do I even have to say it ?? ]

In Canada is some places the basement is counted as floor area- in others it isnt . When I sold my house i wasnt sure if i should include my garage- which i had converted into a den and had a pool table in it - but no cars . I have seen outside parking places [ uncovered] counted here as floor area. I state things in the local way since I am only selling to locals.

Davao can I ask the ballpark price on one of those units? Do you have a similar stand alone model?

smokey

Davao can I ask the ballpark price on one of those units? Do you have a similar stand alone model?

he should price the house like a mech. prices work on your car.... double if you offer to help and triple is you force me to let you help

Davaoeno

1.788 M Here is a pic of basically the same house standing alone [ i built it 2 years ago ]

post-8045-0-54876100-1357881663_thumb.jpg

post-8045-0-64091500-1357881777_thumb.jpg

Edited by Davaoeno
shadow

I see where Bill mentioned engineer, but nowhere do I see him mention contractor. Can you point me to that post? You do realize they are often two completely separate persons?

cebubird

I see where Bill mentioned engineer, but nowhere do I see him mention contractor. Can you point me to that post? You do realize they are often two completely separate persons?

Sorry if I got a couple of you in a "pissing" contest here. I have a deal here where the engineer brothers give me a list of materials, I pay them, they hire workers by the day. I have a contract that lists materials and labor costs, and the engineer acts as the "leader" or supervisor of the job. I pay additionally when I see a material that I want changed-For instance in his list of materials, he had 5 Rolls of Insulation priced at 10k. I asked what thickness that was and he said 5mm. I said I want at least 8mm, so the price goes up. accordingly.Also am going to change the thickness of the roofing.

Some of the workers are actually "my" workers tho they are paid by him, and several times they have brought to my attention things that should be changed. My contract with this "group" of workers calls for labor/misc costs to be 35% of material costs, less the cost of the blocks which I am having made. I would have paid them, but they didn't want to build such strong blocks.

This 35% cost for labor/misc works out to between 12500-13500pesos per sq meter. I'm figuring it will be the latter 'cause in most every case I am requiring him to use better than their "so-called standard".

Again, sorry if I caused you guys to get into a "shouting" contest.

BTW the house will be 96sm of living area with 3br and 2cr. A 9sm utility room at end of lanai which stretches across the back and front porch, so if I have to go to the top end of the per sm cost, I will be looking at about 1.8.

Davaoeno

In my experience here [ and I admit it is only in the Davao area] I have never heard of a house built by a contractor. Every one i have seen or heard about here was built by an architect or an engineer .

Perhaps it is different where you live

thebob

http://www.alliedcon...CMU-Catalog.pdf

All you ever wanted to know about concrete blocks.

CMU's Concrete Masonry Units, are quite different to "Hollow Blocks"!

let the foreigner be in charge so if the wall falls its HIS fault

I can't understand why you would hire an engineer and then not follow his advise.

Sorry if I got a couple of you in a "pissing" contest here. I have a deal here where the engineer brothers give me a list of materials, I pay them, they hire workers by the day. I have a contract that lists materials and labor costs, and the engineer acts as the "leader" or supervisor of the job.

cebubird, I understand that building is very stressful, but a job can only have one boss. You are over thinking this, and trying to micromanage. I'm sure it's no fun for your supervisor.

You have already said that these guys are honest, I think it's time to trust their competence. For a single floor the blocks are only holding up the roof. You have already over specified the blocks, and as I have said before, most of the strength is in the fill and the screed anyway.

Finding someone to take over the job to completion isn't going to be easy. And I think that your supervisor is anticipating you questioning every single decision as it's made. I don't envy him if you do.

I would apologize and suggest to him that you have daily morning meetings so he can explain what he is about to do and hear your comments.

Try and trust him, at least his building knowledge.

• Like 5
Davaoeno

cebubird- re the pissing contest. Nothing to worry about. We have some opinionated hard headed guys here- of whom I am certainly one . But sometimes its being challenged that makes me rethink my opinons on things and cause me to learn new things. Shadow and I have banged heads before - and will again - but at the end of the day nobody goes home crying ! :yahoo:

• Like 3
cebubird

CMU's Concrete Masonry Units, are quite different to "Hollow Blocks"!

I can't understand why you would hire an engineer and then not follow his advise.

cebubird, I understand that building is very stressful, but a job can only have one boss. You are over thinking this, and trying to micromanage. I'm sure it's no fun for your supervisor.

You have already said that these guys are honest, I think it's time to trust their competence. For a single floor the blocks are only holding up the roof. You have already over specified the blocks, and as I have said before, most of the strength is in the fill and the screed anyway.

Finding someone to take over the job to completion isn't going to be easy. And I think that your supervisor is anticipating you questioning every single decision as it's made. I don't envy him if you do.

I would apologize and suggest to him that you have daily morning meetings so he can explain what he is about to do and hear your comments.

Try and trust him, at least his building knowledge.

Well that has already been a sore spot with me--having regular contact with him, and as I said, I see a list of materials and have NO idea how most of these will be utilized until I see them begin the work, so ONLY then can I ask WHY, and it usually takes some time to get a reply.

This morning I did apologize and also txt him later.

This afternoon went out to look at progress and good thing 'cause they were just about to stack blocks where a door is going to be. For some reason the "foreman" who maybe comes by once a week looked at the floor plan wrong and told the mason the door was going to be 2meters from where it's supposed to be. What is particularly aggravating about this is that the engineer and I just sat down for 2 hours earlier in the week to locate electrical outlets-plumbing lines, etc, and discussed the fact that this door was going to be just as on the floor plan-just a single door instead of a double that had been drawn in.

• Like 2

In my experience here [ and I admit it is only in the Davao area] I have never heard of a house built by a contractor. Every one i have seen or heard about here was built by an architect or an engineer .

Perhaps it is different where you live

I've built a few places in Bohol and Cebu. We used a licensed architect to design them and do the paperwork for permits, and then used an Ace foreman to build it. We'd hire an engineer to come check on it periodically to make sure the work was being done right. We tried using architects for that purpose but quickly learned this was a bad idea as they seem to have no common sense. In fact, our foreman fixed a lot of the things on the architect's plan.

For materials, the foreman would tell me what we needed and I'd order it and arrange delivery. My other responsibilities were providing a bunk, food, payroll, and a bucket of Tubah for the weekend.

I liked buying the materials because I could pick and choose which wood, pipes, etc to use.