• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Davaoeno

• smokey

• shadow

• SkyMan

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

CMU's Concrete Masonry Units, are quite different to "Hollow Blocks"!     I can't understand why you would hire an engineer and then not follow his advise.     cebubird, I understand that buil

It would seem that the engineer's reasoning on strength would be correct with normal Philippine CHB (which has no structural strength on its own anyway). Normal Philippine CHB is used for nothing more

Never seen a block wall made like the here in Austraila before,, my thinking is that there is only morter holding the columns to eachother and they could move independent of eachother and crack along

Posted Images

SkyMan
The whole point in using hollow blocks for a space filler is that its the cheapest method.. Far cheaper then shuttering and a concrete pour of the same wall thickness.
I guess for the same thickness but not for the same strength. If you use local 6 inch block and render both sides with a bit of mortar then you have a weaker wall then if I simply pour the columns first with rebar in place, put flat forms on both sides and pour a 4 inch wall and no rendering required. And I'll spend less money and time.
  • Like 1
SkyMan

70 m 3 bedrooms 2 crs

that's like 54 Sqm living space?
shadow

I have been through this exact same thing last year. Usually I build and then find a buyer, but last year a guy asked me to custom build him a house . The buyer entered into an agreement for me to build the house, then was onsite all day every day and wanted to interfere at every single step. If you have questions or stipulations do it BEFORE you sign the agreement, not afterwards. You want it done a certain way ? thats fine- just make sure that that is what you stipulate up front - not during the building process ! You want 12mm - then put it in the agreement! You want chb made at 40 per bag?- then put it in the agreement . This buyer drove me nuts by constantly changing his mind - or asking for things that had not been agreed on .

I think its best for both you and the builder that you find someone else to finish the house. Expect your cost to increase considerably .

I just finished these 2 houses last month:

I would agree in the case circumstance where a contractor bids to do a certain job a certain way, for a set price. However, I would not agree when the workers are paid by the day.

In the Philippines, when hiring Filipinos, one MUST be there every day (or have a trusted knowledgeable soul there), or the end product will lead to a great disappointment.

Edited by shadow
Davaoeno

damm those look like storage sheds i had in cal. LOL

My storage "shed" in Canada was 1089 sq ft, had extra mezzanine storage, infloor heating, 2x6 construction, skylights, double windows, 7 inch thich flooring - and cost me about 7 M pesos to build

• Like 1
smokey

you mean that they are not for a BIG man

• Like 1
Davaoeno

I would agree in the case circumstance where a contractor bids to do a certain job a certain way, for a set price. However, I would not agree when the workers are paid by the day.

In my experience the workers dont work for the owner- they work for the builder , and do what the builder tells them to do - not what the owner tells them to do .

I had a lot of problems because the owner was always trying to tell my workers how to do things . They being filipinos didnt want to cause problems, or dispute anything , so just tried to say whatever he wanted until I could come and tell the guy that he was getting what the agreement said, and that if he wanted something different it would cost him more [ unless the same cost then i had no problem giving him what he wanted]

Edited by Davaoeno
smokey

well if the 70 sq meter 3/2 dont get you hot to buy just upgrade and buy his 4/4 500 sq meter place but expect to pay a little more /// as to the storage sheds that about sums up what more then 70% of the people live in only using 1/4 inch ply wood ...

Edited by smokey
Davaoeno

that's like 54 Sqm living space?

Please define " living space" . I posted the plan and i assume you have a calculator , so do your own calculation .

Davaoeno

well if the 70 sq meter 3/2 dont get you hot to buy just upgrade and buy his 4/4 500 sq meter place but expect to pay a little more

close- the other house is actually a 8/5 552 sq meter place ! lol and its 16M but for Skyman, being such a close friend and all, he can have it for 15 M

smokey

close- the other house is actually a 8/5 552 sq meter place ! lol and its 16M but for Skyman, being such a close friend and all, he can have it for 15 M

great idea and then he can rent out the rooms and become MR> Skyman

• Like 1
SkyMan
and i assume you have a calculator , so do your own calculation .
Oddly, that's what I did. Going by your plan the back wall is 7M and the side 8.5M but I don't include the carport (or the yard) in living space. Yes, you can have lots of fun in the carport and yard but it's outside so it's not part of the house. That's the way it is the US. We don't even include the garage even though that's an enclosed space. Even when a redneck puts carpet, a couch, a ref, and a tv in the garage, it doesn't count. That leaves about 54sqm. That's actually 18sqm larger than my house but it's 1/1 and I don't consider it permanent.
the other house is actually a 8/5 552 sq meter place ! lol
How much of that is yard and garage? Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1
battleborn

Staggered. I did some minor brick work on the U.S. always staggered and hollow blocks with rebar.

• Like 1
smokey

Oddly, that's what I did. Going by your plan the back wall is 7M and the side 8.5M but I don't include the carport (or the yard) in living space. Yes, you can have lots of fun in the carport and yard but it's outside so it's not part of the house. That's the way it is the US. We don't even include the garage even though that's an enclosed space. Even when a redneck puts carpet, a couch, a ref, and a tv in the garage, it doesn't count. That leaves about 54sqm. That's actually 18sqm larger than my house but it's 1/1 and I don't consider it permanent.

How much of that is yard and garage?

why would someone count a garage as part of a house even attached its most often not enclosed ... i guess if you say the house is xxxxx sq meters and then break down the spaces Bedroom one is xxx and so on but why would a garage be counted..