Congress Sells America Down the River to Avoid the Fiscal Cliff

Justin Kredible

And you vote?

Yes sir.

Now tell me, did Obama really increase taxes on the middle class or is that just noise from the sour grapes?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Earnest N. Dever

• Justin Kredible

• smokey

• tom_shor

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

we need to solve the problem of .. when ever the government takes in more money they want to spend even more money   like many problems it needs to be attacked on two fronts..   like most problems

A lot of people are gonna get hurt when the USD gets put in the toilet and is no longer the reserve currency of the world. Any other country in the world cannot spend borrowed money the way the USA d

i worked in a place once where we got a new manager and the first thing he did was move everything from one side of the warehouse to the other .. just reversing where everything was   then about 8

Posted Images

Earnest N. Dever

Yes sir.

Now tell me, did Obama really increase taxes on the middle class or is that just noise from the sour grapes?

Mighty sour if you have a limited income.

Dyed-blue-in-the-wool supporters of President Obama are blue as can be after opening their paychecks and discovering that "ordinary folks," as the president likes to call them, got slapped with a sizeable tax hike on New Year's Day.

"What happened?" was the exclamation found repeatedly by the Washington Times' Joseph Curl as he surveyed commentaries posted on liberal websites.

"What happened that my Social Security withholding in my paycheck just went up?" a DemocraticUnderground.com post asked. "I guarantee this decrease is gonna hurt me more than the increase in income taxes will hurt those making over 400 grand. What happened?"

The squeals came from people with usernames like "RomneyLies," "DemocratToTheEnd" and "BlueIndyBlue."

The tax increase is the result of the expiration of the payroll tax holiday, something we never heard Obama talk about either during his re-election campaign or when he was riling up crowds against Republican leaders over their commitment to preserve the Bush tax cuts.

What does it say to these Obama supporters that the first thing the president does after being elected is raise the payroll tax for "ordinary folks" from 4.2% to 6.2%?

'$86 A Month Is A Lot'

Curl found some Obama-supporting posters claiming it wasn't really all that much money, to which another responded, "$86 a month is a lot ... Groceries for a week, as someone said. More than what I pay for parking every month ... A new computer after a year."

A thousand bucks a year in new taxes are nothing small for a middle-class family, and for most the new taxes will actually be more like $1,600 more a year.

Listen to Obama himself last month: "If Congress doesn't act soon, meaning in the next few weeks, starting on January 1st, everybody is going to see their income taxes go up," he told a Michigan crowd.

"Typical, middle-class family of four will see an income tax hike of around $2,200. How many of you can afford to pay another $2,200 in taxes?"

Several weeks before the fiscal cliff deal, the president says that a couple of thousand dollars in new middle-class taxes is "a hit you can't afford to take."

Then he — or rather the White House auto-pen, since the president took Air Force One back to Hawaii to finish his $7 million-in-taxpayer-cost vacation — signs a deal slapping a middle-class family something close to just that "hit" in new taxes.

Read More At IBD: http://news.investors.com/ibd-editorials/010713-639637-reelected-obama-immediately-raises-middle-class-taxes.htm#ixzz2HagybaL9

• Like 1
Earnest N. Dever

Not true. Before all those jobs left the country, our economy was much stronger than it is today, even with approx 40% of the labor force being union vs. approx 10% union like today, corporations made respectable profits then. And the cost of goods was not out of reach. One wage earner per family was typical and was able to feed larger families.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc. After it, therefore, because of it - don't simply assume that because one thing follows another, the first thing caused the second thing to happen.

The logical fallacy of believing that temporal succession implies a causal relation.

• Like 2
tom_shor

Did the president raise taxes on the middle class? Did I miss something?

Have you read all the new taxes in the obama care? If you haven't then you missed something.

Jack_be_nimble

Post hoc ergo propter hoc. After it, therefore, because of it - don't simply assume that because one thing follows another, the first thing caused the second thing to happen.

The logical fallacy of believing that temporal succession implies a causal relation.

I find your esoteric vernacular entertaining. :)

I suppose we could go back even further; Nixon taking us off the gold standard, for example. Or Wilson setting up the Federal Reserve. Or even further? :)

Justin Kredible

Mighty sour if you have a limited income.

Dyed-blue-in-the-wool supporters of President Obama are blue as can be after opening their paychecks and discovering that "ordinary folks," as the president likes to call them, got slapped with a sizeable tax hike on New Year's Day.

"What happened?" was the exclamation found repeatedly by the Washington Times' Joseph Curl as he surveyed commentaries posted on liberal websites.

"What happened that my Social Security withholding in my paycheck just went up?" a DemocraticUnderground.com post asked. "I guarantee this decrease is gonna hurt me more than the increase in income taxes will hurt those making over 400 grand. What happened?"

The squeals came from people with usernames like "RomneyLies," "DemocratToTheEnd" and "BlueIndyBlue."

The tax increase is the result of the expiration of the payroll tax holiday, something we never heard Obama talk about either during his re-election campaign or when he was riling up crowds against Republican leaders over their commitment to preserve the Bush tax cuts.

What does it say to these Obama supporters that the first thing the president does after being elected is raise the payroll tax for "ordinary folks" from 4.2% to 6.2%?

'$86 A Month Is A Lot'

Curl found some Obama-supporting posters claiming it wasn't really all that much money, to which another responded, "$86 a month is a lot ... Groceries for a week, as someone said. More than what I pay for parking every month ... A new computer after a year."

A thousand bucks a year in new taxes are nothing small for a middle-class family, and for most the new taxes will actually be more like $1,600 more a year.

Listen to Obama himself last month: "If Congress doesn't act soon, meaning in the next few weeks, starting on January 1st, everybody is going to see their income taxes go up," he told a Michigan crowd.

"Typical, middle-class family of four will see an income tax hike of around $2,200. How many of you can afford to pay another $2,200 in taxes?"

Several weeks before the fiscal cliff deal, the president says that a couple of thousand dollars in new middle-class taxes is "a hit you can't afford to take."

Then he — or rather the White House auto-pen, since the president took Air Force One back to Hawaii to finish his $7 million-in-taxpayer-cost vacation — signs a deal slapping a middle-class family something close to just that "hit" in new taxes.

Read More At IBD: http://news.investor...m#ixzz2HagybaL9

That is the "Tax Holiday" expiring. That is not an increase in taxes on the middle class. Holiday's over.

Have you read all the new taxes in the obama care? If you haven't then you missed something.

I must have.

Help me out. Show me where the President is increasing taxes on the middle class.

Edited by Justin Kredible
  • Like 1

suppose we could go back even further; Nixon taking us off the gold standard, for example. Or Wilson setting up the Federal Reserve. Or even further?

Or issue a 1 trillion dollar platinum coin google platinum coin issue and read economist article. This idea has a tie in with some of the discussion in the fiscal cliff thread. Unfortunately that thread was locked because brits get tired of americans squabbling over politics on their forum.

Edited by jode
Justin Kredible

http://www.washingto...-tax-increases/

It depends on what you might call a tax increase. The result is more money is coming out of middle income pay checks, and Obama neglected to mention this would happen.

Again, this was a temporary "tax holiday."

If you go to the White House website (the place where the President lives and works), you will see:

"The tax cut is temporary. This is a one-year, temporary tax break intended to help working

families in these tough economic times and to help generate growth and jobs. After the

temporary provision expires, payroll tax rates will return to what they were before."

Source: http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/social_security_payroll_taxes.pdf

Did you expect the President to strut around in his "Feck your Tax Holiday, Byatches" t-shirt?

I have paid 6.2% into Social Security throughout my career so that older folks can retire with a little bit of an income to supplement their savings. 4.2% was whatever but it was only temporary.

Justin Kredible

Unfortunately that thread was locked because brits get tired of americans squabbling over politics on their forum.

It wasn't just the Brits getting tired of it. Us Americans get tired of it as well.

:)

• Like 2
smokey

i have a plan mint a series of gold coins and make them so cool they become collectible from day one... you can call them doomsday coins a series of 21 coins made of gold and print up 1 million sets then destroy the mold.... and each coin is 1,1/2 ounce of gold that should be some good change

• 2 weeks later...
i have a plan mint a series of gold coins and make them so cool they become collectible from day one... you can call them doomsday coins a series of 21 coins made of gold and print up 1 million sets then destroy the mold.... and each coin is 1,1/2 ounce of gold that should be some good change Like This

Pay day is coming. Mr Gold is predicting a collapse in the USD mid year....Gold about to soar!

It is reasonable to assume that by midyear of 2013 the US Federal Reserve will have to make a decision in order to keep the US bond market which is US interest rates at the low levels that have been promised until employment has made a sustained recovery. I believe that the recent actions on the Fiscal Cliff and the Debt Ceiling would indicate the US Fed will increase the non-economic purchases (another definition of QE) of whatever amount of treasuries are offered for sale from any entity, sovereign or private.

This will be the entrance to the second phase of the gold market ascendancy. Gold got to $1900 on threatened systemic failure. Gold will go to $3500 and above on pure monetary fiat currency concerns. The actions of the Federal Reserve in order to maintain the extreme health of the US bond market are no different in their implications that Weimar financial moves were to avoid the economic pain of reparations or for that matter Zimbabwe’s constant Federal borrowing.

http://www.jsmineset.com/

This crap's deja vu to the older generation here.

I think gold and the AK 47 have bubbled enough.

We'll soon aclimate, like before, to being harder working peasants.

Tools, guns, chickens and heavy metals are always long term smart.

I think they'll lose buyability and glitter as high interest and poverty happens.

Politico/psycho/econo/babble won't stop, like a pick pocket's diversionary child,

until there's no more money left to steal.