just how safe are bikes

Skywalker

Judging by the HOOJ bellies I see on the foreigners here, riding a bike is the least of their worries! :workout:

A_Simple_Man
I also like the freedom I have here to break every traffic law

Yeah. I used to get so frustrated with all the traffic jams in the west because when I passed the long line of jammed up vehicles on the shoulder it seemed I would always get a ticket. It took me a while to realize they don't give tickets for that here.

• Like 1
roadhaze
the first thing I did when I got my Ninja was to upgrade the horn - now has 2 "elephant" horns switched via a relay and it gets everyone's attention!
What kind of relay and where do I find one. I upgraded horn on my Rouser to larger but could only install one of them and keep one original horn. When I installed both big horns I only got short 1 second blast and then would quit. I thought about relay but not sure.
johnboy999

What kind of relay and where do I find one. I upgraded horn on my Rouser to larger but could only install one of them and keep one original horn. When I installed both big horns I only got short 1 second blast and then would quit. I thought about relay but not sure.

I used my local auto mechanic. He fitted the kind of relay that you get with headlights/fog lights ..... something like this

419Oc8wOw3L._SS500_.jpg

any decent auto mechanic should be able to do this for you, or if you get all the parts it is easy enough to do yourself

Edited by johnboy999
MattFromGA
Yeah. I used to get so frustrated with all the traffic jams in the west because when I passed the long line of jammed up vehicles on the shoulder it seemed I would always get a ticket. It took me a while to realize they don't give tickets for that here.

Lane splitting is a nice option in the Philippines that every biker takes advantage of, and was one of the many reasons I loved driving my motorcycle in Cebu.

No doubt there is added danger when ridding a bike, which is why you should be 100% aware of everything around you. I always try to assume that every car, bus and truck on the road not only DOES see me, but actually wants to run me down on purpose and I try to drive very defensively because of it.

I dropped my bike twice while riding there but overall I am very grateful for my motorbiking experiences in the Philippines.

• Like 2
David_LivinginTalisay

Whilst I had some accidents from age 16 to 21, these were the fault of Car drivers not looking for and paying attention to motorcyclists.

I ended up with i) broken left toe in 1971, ii) broken right clavicle in 1972, iii) broken tibula & fibula to my left ankle, in the summer of '76. In 1984 I broke the other collar bone, whilst finding out the hard way why nobody tackles the man made motocross track, the other way around!

So here is my summary of what I learned from these accidents and how I have managed to stay injury free (apart from some burns off hot bike parts):-

1. Always wear a full face helmet, that is a good fit for your head and exceeds the minimum safety standards required by law (ie Race wear standard!). OK so in the Philippines, they are hot and uncomfortable, but it beats getting killed from a head injury! Buy a Motocross/Enduro style crash helmet, with good through air vent flow!

I will probably buy a new one, even though I have the 'required legal 'Stickers'.

view_product_06.jpgmx433_hivis_yellow.jpg
  2. Additional Protection. Ideally wear Motorcycle Boots, Gloves, Elbow & Knee Pads also!
    Goggles are hot, so consider Safety Glasses (Clear, or Yellow, and tinted - but not at night)

3. See and be seen - use headlights during the day, and distinctive yellow or white helmet.

4. Make yourself heard. I fitted the Steibel Nautilus Compact Air Horns via Relays and fitted Aux Switch, so it can be standard Horn or both!
    phpKyP04v.jpg

5. Use 'Defensive Riding technique (as taught by Institute Advanced Motorists), based on RoadCraft Police Motorcyclist Manual, that features the 'Lifesaver' - a glance over the shoulder of the direction you are turning to. Makes sure no car or motorcycle/trike or whatever, has been in any blind spot or since you last looked, before you make a maneuver, that could be into their path, had you not double checked, before making the move.

6. In the IAM car test, one has to talk the Examiner through your observations and explain your actions.
    This not a bad habit to get into, as it makes you thinks about the other road users and your actions!
    Mirror, Signal (consider hand signal, as well as indicators!), Life Saver, then Mananeuver if all clear!

Think that every vehicle driver is an idiot, and be looking and thinking what is the most stupid and dangerous thing they could do that could and might endanger YOU!

Think about what you can and would do, should it happen!

7. If in doubt, don't do it! Slow down, as the higher the speed, the greater the chances of more serious accidents.

Just thinking about this, will train you not to set yourself up to getting into a situation when you could and would be compromised, and potentially then have an accident. This is especially true, when overtaking other vehicles. Not just the vehicle you are passing, but the ones in the other direction coming towards you.

8. Sound Safety Training (learning from mistakes - could prove fatal, but are still lessons learned, if not?), Practice and Experience will make you a Better and Safer Rider.

I made mistakes when I was young, and walked away from crashes unhurt.

Accidents involving 3rd Party (car drivers), gave me some broken bones,

Only some stupid riding on a man made Motocross Track in Bahrain caused me broken collar bone, that was my own fault in 1984. I have not had any more broken bones since then, Just some minor burns from touching hot engine/exhaust parts after sliding off on dirt tracks, or stuck in a rut and tipping to the side.

I will be 58 in April so have been riding Motorcycles, for more than 42 years (my brother Stephen got into schoolboy scrambling, so did some riding (BSA Bantam) in the garden and at the Motocross Tracks before we could legally ride on the roads at age 16).

I would encourage anyone, to practice off-road, before riding on roads, with traffic!

Happy Trails Riding,

David

Back in Cebu, for 7-8 weeks, soon!

• Like 2
For Real

Judging by the HOOJ bellies I see on the foreigners here, riding a bike is the least of their worries! :workout:

Think of it as a personal air bag - but don't stand close if one pops

• Like 1
Canuck Joe

been riding two wheels since i was 4, not dead yet and not even a broken bone. It will be a sad day when i have to trade my moto in for a mobility scooter. :search1:

smokey

been riding two wheels since i was 4, not dead yet and not even a broken bone. It will be a sad day when i have to trade my moto in for a mobility scooter. :search1:

if that day comes and it could some day skywalker is the guy to see... he often sells his old units at only 10% over retail

• Like 1
Canuck Joe

if that day comes and it could some day skywalker is the guy to see... he often sells his old units at only 10% over retail

good deal, that will leave money left over to hot rod it