just how safe are bikes

smokey

in my younger days i rode but as i got older i stopped when i came to the Philippines like many others i picked up fist a Sky go then a mio automatic i fell 2 times on the mio and after that was healed i did not ride a bike anymore ... In the 6 plus years i rode in the us i was clipped once and fell in the philippines in 9 months i was clipped and fell twice is it dangerous to ride here or just me.. both times i was lucky my leg was chewed up but both times the person who nudged me did not stop but just drove off... others did come to my aid but no hospital needed

Edited by smokey
KennyF

On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being death, I'd say -12

KonGC (it's not how you drive, it's how they drive. 8 year olds on a tricycle comes to mind)

A_Simple_Man

Its not just your driving or other people's driving (although that is a huge hazzard) that makes riding a bike dangerous. Dogs, children, old women and men carrying cases of Coke will walk out from in front of parked trucks without looking. Vehicles driving down the road will suddenly have their doors fly open and someone will lean out to spit. Coconuts fall from trees overhanging the highway, sometimes in bunches of 3 (that I have seen). Puddles across the road in the rain will sometimes hide enormous pits that you could drive into. Dead trees will fall across the road without warning. These are first hand experiences that I have encountered and yet I stll ride. Every day riding here is an adrenaline rush so make sure you enjoy that sort of thing and have your will made out.

• Like 1
Skywalker

smokey, you must be pretty close to needing a wheelchair. Luckily they are motorised these days, so you could still be a danger!

Happy New Year!

I have ridden motorbikes in - God only knows how many provinces of the Philippines, at this point. I have never had an accident (involving another vehicle) while riding a motorbike in the Philippines. (I have laid a motorbike down a time or two, though, on my own.)

• Like 1
Every day riding here is an adrenaline rush so make sure you enjoy that sort of thing and have your will made out.

Every day crossing a road here is or can be an adrenaline rush and if already in the retired group you should have will made already anyway. Falling coconuts can kill you if only taking a quiet sunset stroll on the beach. Myself being a daily rider and quite adventurous person , I like riding here. You just have to stop dreaming when you jump on the bike and concentrate on the road ahead, expect the unexpected to happen and be ready for it.

Edited by vehkis
smokey

smokey, you must be pretty close to needing a wheelchair. Luckily they are motorised these days, so you could still be a danger!

Happy New Year!

you mean i can buy a trike then hire a driver ??? oh bull pucky what is the point of living in far away places if your cant be snobby / /// i do agree on the wheel chair its amazing how we abuse ourselves when young with drinking,, acting stupid,, various chemicals.. i remember my first challange to jump from a friends garage roof to a flower bed about 8 to 10 feet away knowing if you did not make it the cement was waiting for you.... trying to figure out the distance before you become airborne ,, drinking a few beers to numb the pain if you did not make it and then going for it... now it takes me 5 min to stand up straight when i wake up

• Like 1
throttleplate

its not as dangerous for pinoys to ride a bike here as it is whites,if a white gets hit its 100 points,a pinoy gets hit its only 5 points

CebuKano

I ride in metro Cebu City most every day and I can honestly say that I feel safer riding here than back in the US. I also like the freedom I have here to break every traffic law that would be enforced in the US every time I ride without any worries of ever being "pulled over" for it. For those who can't relate to this, you have not ever ridden a bike in city traffic over here :) . Knock on wood; I've never had an accident here. Could it happen tomorrow, absolutely. Nothing in life is guaranteed. The only thing I do get nervous about is shit falling off of trucks (some poorly maintained) while I'm riding behind them (like in the subway tunnel on CSCR). But I try to keep that risk to a minimum by getting around them as soon as possible to limit my exposure. I did hit a rock once that just tumbled onto the highway in the mountains out in the middle of nowhere but I avoided a spill -- but I wasn't going that fast at the time because of the steep uphill grade...

• Like 2
smokey

I ride in metro Cebu City most every day and I can honestly say that I feel safer riding here than back in the US. I also like the freedom I have here to break every traffic law that would be enforced in the US every time I ride without any worries of ever being "pulled over" for it. For those who can't relate to this, you have not ever ridden a bike in city traffic over here :) . Knock on wood; I've never had an accident here. Could it happen tomorrow, absolutely. Nothing in life is guaranteed. The only thing I do get nervous about is shit falling off of trucks (some poorly maintained) while I'm riding behind them (like in the subway tunnel on CSCR). But I try to keep that risk to a minimum by getting around them as soon as possible to limit my exposure. I did hit a rock once that just tumbled onto the highway in the mountains out in the middle of nowhere but I avoided a spill -- but I wasn't going that fast at the time because of the steep uphill grade...

and just how long is every day i have been here ??? i see the number of bikes getting to be a lot more and the drivers getting a lot faster and more daring .. playing chicken with cars and trucks.. It just seems risky , a car may be slower but more then getting killed i hate road rash one spill i had i swear i could see the knee cap , maybe i lost my edge and that is sometimes just as dangerous when riding

CebuKano

and just how long is every day i have been here ??? i see the number of bikes getting to be a lot more and the drivers getting a lot faster and more daring .. playing chicken with cars and trucks.. It just seems risky , a car may be slower but more then getting killed i hate road rash one spill i had i swear i could see the knee cap , maybe i lost my edge and that is sometimes just as dangerous when riding

Oh there is danger for sure. I'm not saying there isn't. I ride from near Pacific Mall to IT Park five days a week, twice a day and that's minimum, I often have to travel to Talisay a few days a month so I cover a lot of kilometers per week. And I tend to watch the other bike riders more closely than the cars because some of them are dangerous on the road. I guess it's just a matter of me being used to riding over here for such a long time. I have a small car also but with the traffic being so heavy most of the time I find it much easier to just ride the bike, rain or shine. But I agree that being in a car is most likely statistically safer than riding a bike no matter where. But for me, I'm still comfortable riding here.

Edited by Motörhead
johnboy999
men carrying cases of Coke will walk out from in front of parked trucks without looking

The best way I've found to deal with this is, when I'm approaching a delivery truck, especially a coke one, I look out for legs in front of the truck that you can usually see underneath, if you know what I mean. It usually means someone is about to walk out. If in doubt, I always sound my horn when passing one and, touch wood, have never had any problems with them. Of course, the first thing I did when I got my Ninja was to upgrade the horn - now has 2 "elephant" horns switched via a relay and it gets everyone's attention! Riding a bike is of course hazardous everywhere in the world but if you try to keep your wits about you and watch what is happening ahead, it minimises the risks. In my favour, my bike is fast enough that I hardly ever get anyone pass me so the risks of being clipped while someone passes is negligible.

my old saying ...if you ride you will fall ... thats the way it is ..if you can take the pain kept on riding but if your old like me the time comes your not going to get up anymore :cool:

CebuKano

my old saying ...if you ride you will fall ... thats the way it is ..if you can take the pain kept on riding but if your old like me the time comes your not going to get up anymore :cool:

Well, with all due respect that is like saying that if you use a kitchen knife, you will cut yourself. Maybe yes, maybe no. But I hear you regarding the being able to "bounce back" part :) pun intended :D