Entry into cebu - 1945

GREAT post. hamster%20dance.gif

I would bet that 90%(95%) of any forums members have not done this and would not

unless their was a KTV club, a BAR w/dancing women. or beer given away.

its important to remember the ones before us and the sacrifices they made, :friends:

only the ones who served here or has a wish to learn more about their new home country would have done this

well maybe, maybe not.

but when you are reflecting just remember the real reason died. Macarthur's pride.

There was no real strategic reason for the US to retake the Philippines. And unfortunately for the Philippines the US Navy (who wanted to bypass them completely) lost the argument to Macarthur.

Manila and other cities destroyed just to assuage a megalomaniac paedophile's dream.

• Like 1
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alan S

• tom_shor

• jode

• smokey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Every American here(and it wouldn't hurt for some other nationalities as well)should sit quietly on the side of the hill and look at the markers in that place and reflect a little on the sacrifices th

That story, and the many others like it, are a sad reflection on Philippine society.   Far too many people dont realise that the way to get something is to W O R K and S A V E for it.

my grandfathers brothers name is listed in manila at the cemetary as having died here in WW2 i knew that from when i was a kid and sometimes wonder if it somehow stayed in my mind and directed me to t

Posted Images

Great book but poor movie.

I enjoyed the movie very much, but I agree the book was far better.

Headshot

Allegedly the Japanese used to torture locals and others in the basement of UP Cebu. Students all will tell you the basement is haunted. I was down there once to size up a painting, was kinda creepy.

My wife graduated from CNU. During WWII, the Japanese used the main building there as an interrogation center. In the basement, the iron rings the Japanese used to chain their prisoners down are still there. She said she and some classmates went down there one time , but said that nobody really uses that part of the building anymore because it is damp and spooky (and has a funny smell). She said the same thing about it being haunted. That is a fairly common belief here about any place where a lot of people died violently.

Back to the Bataan death march, one thing that a lot of people don't realize is that only 20% of those on the death march were Americans. The rest were Filipinos. Most who died on the march, died of wounds...decapitation, bayonet stab wounds, gunshot wounds and being beaten to death with rifle butts. The vast majority of those who were murdered by the Japanese on the death march were Filipinos. This is a fact that often gets lost when people talk about the march.

smokey

well maybe, maybe not.

but when you are reflecting just remember the real reason died. Macarthur's pride.

There was no real strategic reason for the US to retake the Philippines. And unfortunately for the Philippines the US Navy (who wanted to bypass them completely) lost the argument to Macarthur.

Manila and other cities destroyed just to assuage a megalomaniac paedophile's dream.

japan was headed to the phillippines as they included the philippines in places they planned on owning So the us here did nothing to prevent Japan coming and sure was not a reason or a deterrent to what happened here ..Maybe you forgot pearl harbor the us did not start the fight but did find a way to take it to home plate , I was reading the us was not going to get in the middle of Hitler as it was not our fight in the first place that is what is screwed up with the world you ask for help and then find ways to blame shit on the person you asked in the first place..

Edited by smokey
smokey

My wife graduated from CNU. During WWII, the Japanese used the main building there as an interrogation center. In the basement, the iron rings the Japanese used to chain their prisoners down are still there. She said she and some classmates went down there one time , but said that nobody really uses that part of the building anymore because it is damp and spooky (and has a funny smell). She said the same thing about it being haunted. That is a fairly common belief here about any place where a lot of people died violently.

Back to the Bataan death march, one thing that a lot of people don't realize is that only 20% of those on the death march were Americans. The rest were Filipinos. Most who died on the march, died of wounds...decapitation, bayonet stab wounds, gunshot wounds and being beaten to death with rifle butts. The vast majority of those who were murdered by the Japanese on the death march were Filipinos. This is a fact that often gets lost when people talk about the march.

\

well at 20% that means there were a lot of americans here

Is CNU now UP?

CNU is Cebu Normal University -- it's on Osmena Boulevard just across from Cebu Sports Center.

Jim Sibbick

are there any museums in Cebu?

There are museums all over the place.

However, I presume you mean war museums. I don't know of any of those.

I have an interesting wartime map for you though

post-12-0-20026800-1357028860_thumb.jpg

japan was headed to the phillippines as they included the philippines in places they planned on owning So the us here did nothing to prevent Japan coming and sure was not a reason or a deterrent to what happened here ..Maybe you forgot pearl harbor the us did not start the fight but did find a way to take it to home plate , I was reading the us was not going to get in the middle of Hitler as it was not our fight in the first place that is what is screwed up with the world you ask for help and then find ways to blame shit on the person you asked in the first place..

Complete baldersdash. Hitler declared war on the US - the US did not enter the European war at the request of anybody.

And before he did the US was making money hand over fist selling/providing crappy war supplies (eg obsolete lend lease destroyers) to Britain.

The only countries that stared down fascism were Britain and France. The US looked on it as a business opportunity till they got attacked.

Its amazing how little history yanks actually know.

Headshot

\

well at 20% that means there were a lot of americans here

About 15,000 Americans were on the Bataan death march. There were over 60,000 Filipino soldiers on the march. The Filipinos died at a much higher rate than the Americans did.

Thelandofku-an

Complete baldersdash. Hitler declared war on the US - the US did not enter the European war at the request of anybody.

And before he did the US was making money hand over fist selling/providing crappy war supplies (eg obsolete lend lease destroyers) to Britain.

The only countries that stared down fascism were Britain and France. The US looked on it as a business opportunity till they got attacked.

Its amazing how little history yanks actually know.

Correct: Here's a link to the document that caused hostilities between The US and Germany mate!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zimmermann_Telegram

But please also consider those 79,000+American citizens (not politicians) who laid down down their lives to protect England from facism!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_bombing_during_World_War_II#US_bombing_in_Europe

Alan S

Whilst Sperry's post is correct, this thread is about WW2 in the Philippines/ Asia, and not about the European theatre, so please keep on topic.

Should anyone wish to discuss WW2 in Europe, that can be a new thread.
  • Like 1