Entry into cebu - 1945

Jim Sibbick

post-7462-0-66736800-1356822129_thumb.jpg

Her brothers still dig in promising places looking for Yamashitas gold. By their poverty so far without success.

I know of several people who found Japanese gold on Leyte. One was my ex wife's uncle. My ex wife's father was given a metal detector to search for gold and found nothing.

However, having money did nothing good for the family. The uncle killed his wife and is now in prison, presumably for life.

• Like 1
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alan S

• tom_shor

• jode

• smokey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Every American here(and it wouldn't hurt for some other nationalities as well)should sit quietly on the side of the hill and look at the markers in that place and reflect a little on the sacrifices th

That story, and the many others like it, are a sad reflection on Philippine society.   Far too many people dont realise that the way to get something is to W O R K and S A V E for it.

my grandfathers brothers name is listed in manila at the cemetary as having died here in WW2 i knew that from when i was a kid and sometimes wonder if it somehow stayed in my mind and directed me to t

Posted Images

SkyMan

Every American here(and it wouldn't hurt for some other nationalities as well)should sit quietly on the side of the hill and look at the markers in that place and reflect a little on the sacrifices that were made. I did that as a young man and it made a lasting and moving impression.

When I visited the MacArthur Monument I spent some time looking out at the sea there. My Dad was on the Battleship Mississippi in the sea battle of Leyte there and then supporting the land battle. Then they went up to assist in the liberation of Manila.

I was wondering if anything special is done annually around the Bataan Death March? I know there's an annual Marathon/March in White Sands NM but I was wondering if there was anything done here. Particularly because so many pinoy died on the march as well. I would think a march for at least some of the distance with perhaps bus rides for the rest of the way might gain some support/notoriety/awareness.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 2

When I visited the Bataan area, there were many people, mostly Americans or Japanese, sightseeing in the area, and many of the locals there knew all about the death march and their local history.

For WW2 buffs, Corregidor is definately worth a visit too.

udonthani

the Corregidor tour is a high standard tour. It's one of the only times I've been on some kind of tour in the Philippines where I've felt it approached first world standards. The boat over was also one of the only times I have not had a feeling that something bad might happen. It felt like being on the Isle of Man ferry, or the boat out to say Alcatraz, rather than some rustbucket. The captain came downstairs as it was about to dock back in Manila and I told him that this was the safest feeling I'd ever had on a Filipino boat.

the Japanese language tour buses outnumber the English ones and that's even when most of the people on the English language buses are Filipinos, not foreigners. I'm sure the commentary has a totally different slant.

• Like 1

Allegedly the Japanese used to torture locals and others in the basement of UP Cebu. Students all will tell you the basement is haunted. I was down there once to size up a painting, was kinda creepy.

Some of the Japanese definately did torture and kill many locals.

In fact, if you read what they did, it is hard to understand how us humans could ever be so cruel to each other.

For those interested, it is worth reading, "The Battle For Manila", by Connaughton, Pimlott & Anderson.

• Like 1

I personally plan to visit many WW2 battle sites during my coming years in the Philippines. Very important history to me.

The day tour to Coregador island at the mouth of manila Bay is very good.

However, having money did nothing good for the family.

I had a Filipina chat mate and sometimes gf who had a grandfather who was one of the 100,000 Filipinos called to serve in the U.S. army by McArthur shortly before the start of hostilities with Japan. Survivors of this group tried and failed to get full veterans benefits like those afforded other U.S. military veterans.

Their long standing claims were settled through a one time payout as a result of an act signed by Obama. My friend had heard something about this payout and knowing I was a veteran asked my help in finding out how her grandpa could claim any benefits coming to him for being a captain in the U.S. army. Using my good internet connection at home rather than any inside knowledge I had (and hinted at), I found out the procedures her grandpa had to go through to get his payout. He went through the procedures and in a few months received a payout of about $3,500 dollars (as I recall). That's when the trouble began.

Everyone in family looked at this money as the answer of their prayers. Now all their dreams would be fulfilled. Cousins could get their college educations. Aunties could get that sari sari store they always wanted. Houses could be built, land acquired. cell phones and computers bought, Piggeries started, cows obtained and on and on.

Well of course there was no where near enough money to do it all, and the bickering and fighting over division of the spoils was heated. My friend said she hated her grandpa now for not giving her money for this or that she wanted. He had gone from the most beloved in the family to the most despised and talked against all because he had received a windfall to share with them, and no one was getting as much of it as they thought they deserved.

He died a few months later, probably a sad and broken man. From having seen how his good fortune had torn his family apart.

Edited by jode

That story, and the many others like it, are a sad reflection on Philippine society.

Far too many people dont realise that the way to get something is to W O R K and S A V E for it.

• Like 6
Jim Sibbick

We Brits, and the Ozzies, did have a few guys in the Philippines in WW2.

Not just soldiers. There were Australian prisoners of war as well.

The family of an Australian school teacher working in the Philippines in the 1920's and 1930's gave me some photos from her time in the Philippines to upload. They are here if you are interested.

http://www.bigjimsphilippinesexperience.com/gallery/categories.php?cat_id=6&sessionid=fc4dd65ac0bbfae651508886bd43b4aa

Anyway, they told me that the sister of the teacher and her family were in Davao at the time of the invasion of the Japanese and they were taken prisoner. The children did not survive the war and the Australian lady might not as well have survived as she came out of the war mentally impaired and unable to function normally.

Same here. I intend to visit Cabanatuan, though it appears there's not much there other than a memorial -- little or nothing of the camp remains. Still, I want to see it because Ghost Soldiers is one of the best WW2 books I've ever read.

Great book but poor movie.

The day tour to Coregador island at the mouth of manila Bay is very good.

Yes and while you are at it.. take the the fast craft over to Battaan to the WW2 Memorial to see the last stand site the GI held before the Death March started. very worthwhile.

Wife and I took the Corregidor Tour a couple years ago....really first-class tour with very knowledgable guides....would highly recommend this tour to all Americans visiting around the Manila area. Best I remember, cost at that time was around P3800 total for two people which included a nice buffet lunch at a hotel/restaurant owned by the tour company. Need to set aside a full day....boat leaves around 8:00 a.m. and returns around 4:00 p.m....can even arrange to stay overnite in the hotel.

Headshot

Great book but poor movie.

Are you talking about the movie, "The Great Raid"? I think it has been done more than once and there is even a WWII era documentary on it.