Entry into cebu - 1945

post-7462-0-66736800-1356822129_thumb.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Visayas

My GF's families province place is near a little sign along the road that marks the site of the final Japanese surrender in Cebu at the end of the war. They had held on in these remote mountains after being driven out of Cebu city area. Her great grandma has stories from the days when the Japanese were around and forever searching for the guerillas harassing them. Her brothers still dig in promising places looking for Yamashitas gold. By their poverty so far without success.

Edited by jode
  • Like 1
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alan S

• tom_shor

• jode

• smokey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Every American here(and it wouldn't hurt for some other nationalities as well)should sit quietly on the side of the hill and look at the markers in that place and reflect a little on the sacrifices th

That story, and the many others like it, are a sad reflection on Philippine society.   Far too many people dont realise that the way to get something is to W O R K and S A V E for it.

my grandfathers brothers name is listed in manila at the cemetary as having died here in WW2 i knew that from when i was a kid and sometimes wonder if it somehow stayed in my mind and directed me to t

Posted Images

smokey

my grandfathers brothers name is listed in manila at the cemetary as having died here in WW2 i knew that from when i was a kid and sometimes wonder if it somehow stayed in my mind and directed me to the philippines as i was never here during viet nam so when i came in 2002 i was a real new guy... it used to piss me off when some in the early days would say you dont belong here as i would somewhere in this country are the bones of my family member who did not come here on vacation and die in an auto accident

Edited by smokey
  • Like 4
cebubird

Every American here(and it wouldn't hurt for some other nationalities as well)should sit quietly on the side of the hill and look at the markers in that place and reflect a little on the sacrifices that were made. I did that as a young man and it made a lasting and moving impression.

• Like 8
ed villas

Every American here(and it wouldn't hurt for some other nationalities as well)should sit quietly on the side of the hill and look at the markers in that place and reflect a little on the sacrifices that were made.

GREAT post. hamster%20dance.gif

I would bet that 90%(95%) of any forums members have not done this and would not

unless their was a KTV club, a BAR w/dancing women. or beer given away.

its important to remember the ones before us and the sacrifices they made, :friends:

only the ones who served here or has a wish to learn more about their new home country would have done this

battleborn

I personally plan to visit many WW2 battle sites during my coming years in the Philippines. Very important history to me.

• Like 1

I personally plan to visit many WW2 battle sites during my coming years in the Philippines. Very important history to me.

Well I think just in Cebu city area there could be some interesting research done. It seems where the main Japanese defense positions were in the hills overlooking Cebu city are in dispute. No longer sure what hill was what and how the battle took place. A history buff might enjoy doing some research as the few remaining people with first hand knowledge are dying off fast.
smokey

Well I think just in Cebu city area there could be some interesting research done. It seems where the main Japanese defense positions were in the hills overlooking Cebu city are in dispute. No longer sure what hill was what and how the battle took place. A history buff might enjoy doing some research as the few remaining people with first hand knowledge are dying off fast.

oh history up the hills above talisay .. above vista are a group of long term farmers... the farm we purchased is the place two sisters were killed by the japnese one was being raped and the other jumped in and was sliced with a large bladed weapon..... my wifes mother found the bones of a foreigner i asked how do you know its a foreigner she said not many locals are over 6 foot tall the reburied them by the large power transmission tower,,, a one room school house still has evidence of gun fire from the NPA when they were here in cebu 1985,,, there is a cave up in the hills more like a spot you can not see from above the locals would hide there my brother in law found a old rusted Thomson sup machine gun from WW2 lots of history here in talisay and cebu ,,, bring some wine and spend the day talking to the old timers who children trying to make it thru the day ,, some of the farmers up there were in spider groups that hunted the NPA

Edited by smokey
Skywalker
post-12091-0-40805800-1356850015_thumb.jpgWent to visit this memorial a few years ago in Buenos Aires. A very moving experience which brought me to tears.
Skywalker
This has nothing to do with Philippines

I am British, and last time I checked, we didn't get involved in any action in the Philippines.

And then I saw this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_occupation_of_Manila

Edited by Skywalker

We Brits, and the Ozzies, did have a few guys in the Philippines in WW2. Most in the latter stages, providing information to the American forces, prior to their landings.

One that I read about was a priest who had been a missionary in...I think it was Negros,, and who spoke several indiginous languages, went back and helped organise resistance fighters and pass info to the Americans.

Personally, whilst I have been around Bataan, and know the basics of the Pacific war, I am more interested in the European / UK apects of WW2.

Same here. I intend to visit Cabanatuan, though it appears there's not much there other than a memorial -- little or nothing of the camp remains. Still, I want to see it because Ghost Soldiers is one of the best WW2 books I've ever read.

udonthani

. it used to piss me off when some in the early days would say you dont belong here as i would somewhere in this country are the bones of my family member who did not come here on vacation and die in an auto accident

total garbage. My grandad was one of 14 children and four of them died in wartime, 2 in France, 1 in Russia, and 1 at sea does this mean I belong in France, Russia or the North Atlantic Ocean, no of course it doesn't stop deluding yourself please you're not doing yourself any favors.

smokey

total garbage. My grandad was one of 14 children and four of them died in wartime, 2 in France, 1 in Russia, and 1 at sea does this mean I belong in France, Russia or the North Atlantic Ocean, no of course it doesn't stop deluding yourself please you're not doing yourself any favors.

well i am sure the people are glad your here spreading the seed and no it dont mean you BELONG in France but it also does not mean your family did nothing to enhance the freedom they enjoy... anyway i am sure you would not be in France or Russia as you sure cant get a hotel and a date for the night for 300 peso

• Like 1