Korean-American tourist in PI - problems?

I've done a little reading on this board and it seems that there is sort of a negative stigma toward Koreans (them being cheap, unclean, etc.). I'm Korean-American so this concerns me a bit.

Will I be "targeted" / should I take any safety precautions?

Will I have problems getting hotel rooms?

Will girls not like me?

In general, am I going to be treated differently because I'm Korean?

I'm 23 year olds if that matters.

Alan S

Simple answer is no.

Be careless, dont watch your surroundings, and flash plenty of cash and expensive jewellery, and then you WILL be a target, irrespective if your nationality.

Hotels wont worry as long as your money is OK.

You will find that most people will judge YOU, and if you are polite, they will be too.

I've done a little reading on this board and it seems that there is sort of a negative stigma toward Koreans (them being cheap, unclean, etc.). I'm Korean-American so this concerns me a bit.

Will I be "targeted" / should I take any safety precautions?

Will I have problems getting hotel rooms?

Will girls not like me?

In general, am I going to be treated differently because I'm Korean?

I'm 23 year olds if that matters.

Wow, you have two strikes against you, :D being Korean and being an American. :o:P I am an American and I have found that a lot of people in the world do not like Americans, so I do my best when traveling to dispel their impression of us by being friendly, even if they do not want to be friendly. Most times when I make the first move on being friendly, it breaks the ice and we end up in a nice conversation that I hope leads to a change in their thought about Americans.

Not all people on the forum dislike Koreans and I have found most Koreans to be very nice, but maybe a little stand offish or shy and definitely unwilling to be the first one to smile or say hello.

Most Koreans I have met will reply nicely and give me a big smile when I greet them. I guess it is just that most will have a stone face unless I talk to them first and that maybe why so many judge them to be unfriendly.

It is all about your attitude and not about your roots or where you come from as to how people will judge you and treat you, so smile and you will have no problems at all and you will make a lot of nice friends.

As for dirty, I think that is a perception because a lot of Koreans who rent here, seem to not take care of the places they rent. Maybe those people are too busy working or maybe they were not taught proper sanitary habits and because of that, the bad ones make it look bad for all Koreans. Unfortunately, people only seem to remember what stands out in their minds and bad things stand out and are remembered more than good. You can make a difference and help to change a lot of bad perceptions if you wish to.

As for cheap, most Filipinos do not tip or tip small, so I do not think that will be an issue in the Philippines, but I would recommend that you try to tip a little if possible because this is a poor country and every little bit helps, but do not over tip because that can cause just as many problems as not giving anything. A lot of the better places here add 10% service charge, so you will have no choice in those places.

If you let us know when you are coming and if we are in Cebu at that time, we would be glad to meet you for a cup of coffee.

Have a safe trip and don't worry you will be not have any problems.

Bob Ward

h05, welcome and don't sweat it. Just don't dress in jeans, cool T-shirt, sun glasses and a ball cap. It's the Korean uniform I think! LIL

I'm going to ask Kaha to post some more enlightened and relevant information about the Koreans here. He teaches English to them every day and has a great perspective on the Phils as he has spent allot of time all over the country. He lived in Korea for years as well.

The Korean's stand offishness has to do with many issues, Korean national values, where they are taught that they are a superior race, shyness about speaking English and more. I for one have no issues with Koreans and I try to engage them when appropriate.

At your age, once you speak english and they know you are American, the girls will be all over you like white on rice.

Ho5, I cant see you having any negative issues here. Many of my korean students fare well with the local girls and have few problems, as a fluent speaking gyopo you'll have an extra ace up your sleeve for wheelin the women. I do notice that many of my students get ripped off in tourist spots though. I think its mainly a language problem as their English maybe insufficent to argue the point, or they are just not confrontational by nature....so a problem you shouldnt have.

Paul

If you are a Korean-American, then you are an American, in my book. (I don't do politically correct terms. So, you will have to excuse me there.) I assume you were born and/or grew up in the states?

My issue with Korean Nationals (directly from Korea), tend to be rude to the Filipinos here. There are many, many Korean students here who learn English from Filipinos, yet they tend to look down on the Filipinos. That is the issue I have with them.

However, you are going to treat, having grown up and/or having been born in the states. This is because you are an American, hopefully with American values, at a young enough age to know to show someone from another country respect they deserve, while visiting theres.

PEARL OF CEBU

Hello,

I wanna say sorryto all of you who have read my posts,especially those posts of mine which i happened to use a capslock in emphasizing something,but i really don't have any other intention except just to emphasize something.Sorry,i just don't know that it is not allowed in here.

Pearl Of Cebu

Flirtilizer

I think I'm picking up on some resentment from some of the men. I'm American middle aged, looks got up and left a long time ago, all I have to offer to a woman is me really. And I have a youngish very sexy one at my side. They probably believe I won her over with my money. No doubt, I have improved her life style way beyond anything she could have hoped for but she had guys with money after her. But that's another story. I think I'm picking up on some resentment regarding that.

MOST of the time I deflect it by speaking first. Normally people in the states find me as standoffish but I'm really shy. But here, I feel the need to reach out, for one for safety reasons. You can diffuse a lot of problems by letting a would be attacker know you are aware of them. Something I was starting to do before I left the States. Doesn't really have anything to do with here.

Nearly every time I say hello or wave or even smile I get a smile back. Sometimes a big smile or friendly gesture. Today when I was out walking off the American FAT :D one person did something rare, he said "hello my friend." And I hadn't noticed him yet.

Girls will make eye contact and often hold it. They will send signals with their eyes. I doubt it my good looks. I'm a little more weary of girls as I'm never sure of their age.

I see a lot pf people checking me out with a concerned look. They are waiting for me to make the first friendly move so I do. I'm trying to learn a little of the language to start.

Most Filipino start conversations with Good Day, Good Morning, Good Afternoon, Good evening. Learn to say those four phrases. I don't find Tagalog easy at all but I plan to be here a long time and I'm paranoid anyway so I want to know what is being said. LOL But most of the Filipino I've heard use these phrases usually say it in English.

I have no idea about the Korean thing at all. There was a large family living next door to me for a couple of weeks, they didn't speak unless I spoke first and then they had big smiles.

Go out of your way to be nice, I think you'll be okay. You can't do anything about racism other than be nice yourself. Some it will never reach.

I come from Memphis, Tn. where racism determines everything. The city where Martian Luther King was killed may be the most racist place on earth.

You can get a Tagalog audible book at www.audible.com for $10.00 I'm starting with that. Once I have it mastered I'll get something more expensive and comprehensive.