Sign in to follow this  
USMC-Retired

speed up wireless router setting

USMC-Retired

Inside your router you have a setting for WMM this is wireless multi media. I was helping someone set up the router at home and he could not understand why his wireless was so slow compared to wired connection.

This setting is a Quality of Service setting that sets priority to certain applications and to certian ports. It set speed limits on other applications. Thus those with priority always have the required band width. When those applications are not running through the router it also turns the power down on the router and decreases through put in the router. Very Very basic but that is the theory

You should turn off WMM or disable this setting inside your router. There is very little need for the average user and will just slow you way down.

if you need help with an individual router then post and I will answer to help you set your router.

Tim Potter "aka" USMC retired

Tim-Potter-from-Sugarland-Texas

Edited by USMC-Retired
  • Like 4

Hy H

I have a portable Huawei wifi unit with sim card inside. Would your theory work on these as well ?

USMC-Retired

Give me the model number and I can look for you

Hy H

Here is all I can find Huawei E560 Mobile WiFi router.

Edited by vehkis

USMC-Retired

that device has WMM. You should be able to access the setting page and turn it off. I do not know the default setting. However it is capable of it and it will slow you down.

192.168.1.1 would get you in. Then admin is the default password.

This will be under Wifi Advance or QOS. Look around without changing things till you find WMM. Then ensure it is disabled.

• Like 1

USMC-Retired

Just you can understand he had 2.2 Mbs on lan and .998 Mbs on Wireless when I ran speed test. After I disabled this he was the same on both. So it can make a huge diffrence.

Edited by USMC-Retired

Hy H

I found on settings page DHCP with IP address you mentioned and DHCP is enabled , can not locate anything referring to wmm, what you think, disable dhcp ?

Edited by vehkis

USMC-Retired

DO NOT DO THAT!!!!!!!!

Just see if you can find WMM only that. It may be a locked router so you can not see it. However worth a try to see if you can see it

smokey

hey and you dont come upstairs and help old smokey the internet new guy... well i will expect to see you Saturday to set mine its slow at times...

USMC-Retired

Can I use the Elevator? LOL...... :yahoo:

• Like 3

smokey

leave 10 peso in the cup i am saving to send Davao to charm school he is in need

• Like 2

broden

lets see how good a job you do first

Hy H

Ok. just checking. unit is not locked to any network ? will try find again .

Davaoeno

If you are really lucky Smokey will lower down a ladder made out of shoe laces for you to climb up ! [ hey Smokey- where did you get all those laces ? ]

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 1

sjp

I found it (wmm) under applications and gaming in my router. It was disabled by default