uk pound v peso

sheffieldmel

Question: if your employer gave you the option of being paid in USD or GBP .. and you were living in the PHilippines what would you choose?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• Durham

• Skywalker

• spooks

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i use my HSBC atm card, no fees and good rate

All the Brits out and about in the same thread. Feels kinda safe amongst my countrymen.

Scots pounds sterling are of equal value, same for Ulster Bank. Uk and GB does have monetary union.   Problem is south of the border is not as well educated on this fact as others are. A bit like not

Posted Images

lazydays

did not know about the limit at po just checked there and assumed they would be same as travel agents etc, are you 100% about bringing as much as you want in foreign currency?. The reason i ask is earlier this year i went on a weekend trip to Belgium and the coach driver said they may ask you how much money you have on you going out, as it happens they did not, he said it was due to tobacco being much cheaper in Belgium. but my point is why would they ask if they cant do anything about it

Taking cash out of the UK, Davaoenos comment #29 gives you the answer.

As far as i am aware there is no limit on UK cash that you can bring into the PH, but i would use the 10k Euro or equivelant as a guideline too.

Edited by lazydays
Question: if your employer gave you the option of being paid in USD or GBP .. and you were living in the PHilippines what would you choose?

Always used the GBP..............$ as a last resort.

Headshot

I would ask them why they can't just pay me in Philippines pesos. Any other option would lose money over time.

• Like 1
udonthani

spotted at the Forex booth at Robinson's Mall, Dumaguete

UK Pound 62

Scottish Pound 64

huh?

• Admin (Retired)
broden

UK Pound 62

Scottish Pound 64

huh?

i'd trade in all my UK pounds for Scottish pounds

sheffieldmel

UK Pound 62

Scottish Pound 64

huh?

scottish pounds are harder to get hold of than english pounds, ask anyone who's tried to get money from a scotsman :ROFLMAO:

• Like 1

scottish pounds are harder to get hold of than english pounds, ask anyone who's tried to get money from a scotsman :ROFLMAO:

Especially a "Fifer". (In house Scottish joke) :hi:

Skywalker

I've seen this a few times, except that Scottish pounds (sterling) are always lower value than UK pounds.

This is because they are harder to trade for the money changers, and also the possibility of forgeries is higher.

I don't believe they were offering more for Scottish pounds. Far more likely to be the other way 'round.

I've seen this a few times, except that Scottish pounds (sterling) are always lower value than UK pounds.

This is because they are harder to trade for the money changers, and also the possibility of forgeries is higher.

I don't believe they were offering more for Scottish pounds. Far more likely to be the other way 'round.

Scots pounds sterling are of equal value, same for Ulster Bank. Uk and GB does have monetary union.

Problem is south of the border is not as well educated on this fact as others are. A bit like not accepting pound coins with Thistles or Principality of Wales Leeks on them etc. Just imagine them all being rejected from slot machines lol

Bank of Scotland and Clydesdale used to be the biggest source of printed Scots notes, not sure what is happening these days. Certainly more colourful than their UK GB Bank Of England counterparts.

• Like 2
Skywalker
Scots pounds sterling are of equal value, same for Ulster Bank. Uk and GB does have monetary union.

Correct. But the money changers can basically place whatever value they want to. I am quite surprised that they find their way here, we don't even see Scottish notes that often in London. Many money changers in Bangkok simply wont touch them.

Edited by Skywalker
David_LivinginTalisay

I believe Php108 to GBP1 was the highest it ever reached (29 Nov/13 Dec 2004), after I came here, from Hong Kong on 1st May 2001.

http://finance.yahoo...ractive#symbol=

post-198-0-97483200-1356484539_thumb.jpg

GBP/PHP (GBPPHP=X)

-CCY

66.3527 down_r.gif 0.0041(0.0100%) 8:03PM EST

The FOREX Rate has been between 72 and 64 since Feb 2010.

Back in 1999, on the week of 5 July, it was Php59.54 to GBP1 so it has not gone that low again!

udonthani

apart from Scottish and Northern Irish banknotes, Isle of Man and Jersey notes sometimes find my way into my till, however if it's 10 pounds or over I won't accept it unless they show ID so I can jot down their names as I have no idea what to look for if they are forged. There was a picture of the USA Space Shuttle on one of the Northern Irish 20s at one time, which seemed completely ridiculous to me. It's like having a picture of a London Bus on a US 20 dollar bill.

apart from Scottish and Northern Irish banknotes, Isle of Man and Jersey notes sometimes find my way into my till, however if it's 10 pounds or over I won't accept it unless they show ID so I can jot down their names as I have no idea what to look for if they are forged. There was a picture of the USA Space Shuttle on one of the Northern Irish 20s at one time, which seemed completely ridiculous to me. It's like having a picture of a London Bus on a US 20 dollar bill.

you look for the same watermark in the same place as any BOE note if its not there then its forged.
udonthani

many places, especially pubs, refuse to accept Scottish 20s or even 10s, and they have signs up to this effect. UK forgeries are getting better, even small shops with quite low turnover, now often have those forgery detector machines even though they cost about two hundred quid, this shows you that a lot of forgeries do get through. I get people ringing me up quite often wanting to sell me one, however as to my knowledge I've only accepted only one bent tenner in 20 plus years out of heaven knows how many thousands of them I've taken, I don't consider it necessary to invest in one.