Sign in to follow this  
Monsoon

Blue Cross Philippines - A scam dressed up as insurance.

Monsoon

Folks I recommend you don't waste your hard earned money with Blue Cross Philippines. I had a very negative experience with them about 8 months ago and kept it to myself (except for telling people I interact with daily).

Now in the past 30 days I've heard horror stories from 4 other expats. These people arenot bums, they are all living here with family, jobs, and assets.

Just tonight I heard yet another negative story from a very stable and reliable friend. The bottom line is: when its time to pay up Blue Cross Philippines declines to do so! EVERYTHING is a preexisting condition in their eyes, even things that couldn't possibly be a preexisting condition (like falling down and shattering a femur, or having severe dengue). And if they can't call it a preexisting condition they just default to not paying anyway.

Just sharing personal experience and the experience of many others I've encountered this past year.

Cant imagine what the big picture looks like. Shame on them.

• Like 1

tomaw

Have you informed the corporate office in the U.S. about this? If you do, they may do something about it.

Edited by tomaw

LastManStanding

1) There is no corporate office in the USA. This company is based out of Manila. They just used the term "Blue Cross" because Americans recognize it but it has nothing to do with the USA company.

2) Every claim that I have submitted has been paid including gall bladder removal. However it occurred during the first year and they argued it was a preexisting condition. They don't cover preexisting conditions during the first year. But our policy was set to renew in a couple weeks so we waited and then had the operation and they paid for it within 15 days.

3) The real issue you need to worry about is if you get sick and make a claim during the later half of the year (near the end of current year policy). Say for example you get Cancer in December and start Chemo and your policy ends in Jan for renewal. Guess what.....they take into account the fact that you need to have xx treatments of chemo and surgery to remove the tumor. All of a sudden your policy now costs 20x more to renew. So short story, if you get injured or sick, do so at the beginning of the policy.

4) Its better if you get in a group with other people than signing up for a individual policy. Because you have some leverage that if they don't pay your claim, your group goes elsewhere. Otherwise you are at their mercy.

billy

for me i feel much safer buying into a non filipino company. there are internationa;l insurance companys to buy health insurance which are backed by very good credit ratings

billy

i have health insurance with a company called I M G or international medical group. i haven't had any claims, but there a big company.

enoonmai

Sorry to hear of your bad experience. I have had Blue Cross Philippines (inpatient only) since Aug, 2011. I had 1 major claim, hospital bills and aftercare were over 1 million pesos. Some was direct billed to BC, some I paid and was reimbursed within 10 or 15 business days. It was the result of an road accident so no preexisting issue. Besides some miscellaneous expenses everything was paid in full. The BC rep even filed out the claim forms, I just handed her receipts. This was over a year ago though, maybe things have changed. When I renewed it was at exactly the same price, no increase. Really hard to believe they would deny a broken bone claim on the basis of preexisting condition.

• Like 1

questsea73

If you are in your 40's or older when you sign up with an insurance company there is a lot of "ammunition" for the insurance company to argue pre-existing conditions. Many of us have congenital conditions(some of which you really may not know about + some you do but which you were never treated for and didn't writeup on your application) plus whatever can happen to you in 40+ years. And then there is the predisposition to have a disease, etc. Claims personnel do not get raises for paying off claims that look in the least arguable or their claim to not pay in any way defensible.

The only area you are home-free in are injuries caused by accidents...and there, if like in USA, accident insurance is dirt cheap compared to a comprehensive health insurance policy which covers sickness, "conditions", accidents, acts of god(the stray thunderbolt that strikes you as you exit a jeepney), etc.

The only health insurance I would consider there (if I were young enough to afford premiums for a decent policy) would be with an international insurer. Same was true when I lived in Thailand and Iran.

Ken

Barryrio

I have also been with Blue Cross Phils! Two claims, omne last year with Dengue and a bad knee injury this year which worked out expensive. BC swipe card used in bothe instances and no complaints! Rep vert helpful, visited several times in hospital and simply gave us a certificate on checkout to give to billing dept of hospital. And no hike on premium So my experience with them has been excellent so far! Also been with IMG previously but they didnt have the BC cash free admission card hence my move to BCP.

Stranded Shipscook

Although I personally believe that ALL insurance Compnaies are hard on the borderline of organized crime ( that's a satirical joke )

I was always told that Blue Cross is a good Insurance. ( By Doctors ! )

Expensive, but without problems.

One has to hear the entire facts before judging based upon individual cases.

• Like 1

Monsoon

Not only did they never pay my claim but they never, after repeated requests, gave me anything in writing about the denial of the claim. The people i spoke with were absolutely useless. Reminded me of Cebu Pacific customer service.

A friend of mine who is a retired anesthesiologist (Filipino but retitred from practice in the US) likes them. He said that if I had a good agent the agent would fight for me. I bought my policy direct from BC. They sent someone to my house to sign up. I just don't see why it should matter who your agent is?

Also, when I was still at the hospital the BC rep (on site) lied to me. He called me and said "Hi, because you weren't here a full 24 hours it will take us more time to pay your claim, so just pay it now and we will pay everything by reimbursement."

Me, "Are you sure?"

BC Rep: "Yes sir, we will pay your claim."

Well, they never did. And never gave me any written notice of denial. I just got fed up and stopped chasing them. So I never gave them my money when it was time to renew. We are only talking a claim of about 40,000 here. Just about the cost of the policy for a year. And they lost out because I was going to buy a policy for my wife, her mother and sign up 3 other employees for various policies. And its not the 40,000 type of claims that I bought it for, its the big stuff. Well after seeing how they acted with the rather small claim, I can only imagine how they would be when its up in the six figures $USD.

But it made me really question what would they do if it were 40,000,000 and I die? Instead of leaving my wife with a comfortable existence and hope for a future from my assets she would be left with a big bill and an incomeptent insurance policy that wouldn't pay. And also employs representatives that lie to you.

Of course, she knows the procedure (at least I have drilled it into her). If that were to happen tell them to keep my body and go f*ck themselves and transfer any money in the country to our joint offshore account.

But my experience and the other people's experiences Im hearing doesn't give me much faith in them. Im glad some of you have had better luck. But insurance is supposed to be piece of mind and I sure wouldnt have any using Blue Cross Philippines.

samatm
But my experience and the other people's experiences Im hearing doesn't give me much faith in them. Im glad some of you have had better luck. But insurance is supposed to be piece of mind and I sure wouldnt have any using Blue Cross Philippines.

So who are you going with now? And how much is it? I need to get health ins for the fam. while here.

Monsoon

So who are you going with now? And how much is it? I need to get health ins for the fam. while here.

Havn't decided yet. I'm still looking around. I'll definately go with an international one that's underwritten by a major company and has legal enforcement venue outside of the Philippines!

ed villas

If your unhappy w.Blue Cross. just enroll in PHilhealth. its only 2400php a yr, and the money you dont spend on BC can be used as what Philhealth doesnt pay,,

about US office, if they are using the "name" .the main office is willing to hear any issues,

ed villas
Also, when I was still at the hospital the BC rep (on site) lied to me. He called me and said "Hi, because you weren't here a full 24 hours it will take us more time to pay your claim, so just pay it now and we will pay everything by reimbursement." Me, "Are you sure?" BC Rep: "Yes sir, we will pay your claim."

Pursue these ppl. it is a common trait here is to delay..delay..delay . so they dont have to pay,,

keep the pressure on these :censor: ppl. if you have read the policy clearly and it appears your RIGHT and they wrong.,,,

PRESSURE....them ..

if that fails, remember a lot of ppl are hungry and would do most anything to support the family... :beatdeadhorse:

bargeman

Beware, its not only BC that behave like this.Not only for Healthcare but other cover.Miss sold, under sold and statements denied seems the norm here.