Sign in to follow this  
CardiacKid

US Passport Renewal

ILoveCyrus

Thanks Monsoon.......ya, better safe than SORRY

lopburi3

As said renew before passport gets below six months validity always - it is easy for US travelers with only a week or so turn around - not so easy for UK with current 8 or more week turn around times.  Those are for Thailand but suspect Philippines is about the same.  But as also said nobody is looking for a round trip ticket in such a case.

also guys should go to Cebu to do the birth abroad  , John a good guy and is a volunteer not a paid employe he is retired hope he never die!!!! LORD HOPE UR LISTENING !!!!

And note appointment is required.

Note from Embassy Manila:

Applications for CRBAs are accepted only by appointment.  Applications are not accepted through courier or the mail service.  Applications that are received through these methods will be returned and applicants will be asked to use the online appointment system.  Applicants who are requested to submit additional documents at the time of their interview may submit these documents through the mail or a courier.

http://manila.usembassy.gov/service/citizenship.html

Edited by lopburi3

SkyMan

Guys, if US passport is due to expire Dec 2014..........but I only get a ONE WAY ticket back to USA before expiry date (like say NOV).... will that be a problem?

Again....it is NOT a round trip ticket.   Any thoughts?  Comments?  I tried to research it but came up empty.

only this.....  http://www.immihelp.com/visas/six-months-passport-validity-rule-visitors.html

You're US citizen, right?  They will have no problem letting you in and as long as the passport is still valid, the RP will have no problem letting you out.  The only question is if/when you plan to leave the US again.  I wouldn't renew until you you're getting ready to leave again.

lopburi3

I wouldn't renew until you you're getting ready to leave again.

Am I missing something?  Why would you advise anyone to be without a passport?  Especially if they have connections that might require rapid travel in the event of emergency?  Keep you passport valid and with at least six month validity would be my advise to anyone - doubly so for those with foreign spouse as I believe poster may have.  We are only talking about $10 per year of validity for passport so it is not a major expense.

Monsoon

it is easy for US travelers with only a week or so turn around

More like three weeks as of March 2014.

lopburi3

I see that on website - strange as it should not take any longer than Bangkok but perhaps takes lolnger for local processing due to large numbers there.

For routine passport renewals, you can expect to receive your passport back in approximately 2-3 weeks after approval.

Here in Bangkok they say to allow 2 weeks but most arrive within 10 days and often within 7. 

SkyMan

Am I missing something?
I guess so.  The poster ILC, said his US passport expires after his trip there.  And he highlighted One-Way which doesn't mean he has no further travel plans but none at this time.  The US will not even turn away a foreigner on a visa with less than 6 months on their passport because the US is one of the few countries that realizes the passport can be renewed at one of the many embassies there.  They are certainly never going to turn away a US citizen even with an expired passport, however, that might cause a problem leaving the RP.  So, yeah, if you are going back to the states with a nearly expired passport don't sweat it unless you have int'l travel plans in the near term after that.

lopburi3

I understand that and so said "But as also said nobody is looking for a round trip ticket in such a case".  But I do not agree he should wait to obtain a replacement passport - it is always best to keep a valid passport on hand.

SkyMan

Well, US passport can be renewed up to 5 years expired so I would base the decision to renew on expected travel plans unless you for whatever reason think you might need to flee the country on short notice.

ILoveCyrus

Guys....what's the skinny on this?

I'm in USA now and don't plan to travel for a while. My 10 yr passport will expire in 3 days....before end of year. Is there an advantage to renewing asap or can it simply expire and I renew it? Cost the same or more? Tell me guys......

SkyMan

Renew by Mail if All of the Following are True

Your Most Recent U.S. Passport:

• Is undamaged and can be submitted with your application;
  • Was issued when you were age 16 or older;
  • Was issued within the last 15 years; and
  • Was issued in your current name or you can legally document your name change with original or certified copy of your marriage certificate or the government-issued document evidencing your legal name change.
By the 15 year rule above you have 5 years from expiration to renew by mail. I think after that the fee goes up $25 and then it's like getting your passport for the first time. Edited by SkyMan

ILoveCyrus

Thanks Skyman.

Good to know

heyjoe60

Hey guys, one question, I'm about to send my US passport off for renewal in Manila but had a question regarding "permanenet address". I am here on a tourist visa and married to a filipina since 2007, of course going up to BI when I have to play the games and pay the dues but on the ds-82 form can I put my residential Philippine address in where it asks for permanent address? I have no other, I haven't been back to the states thus do not have a permanent address there whatsoever just an emergency contact address there. Hope you can help. Thanks alot.

heyjoe (Jerry's the name not joe) :)

Jawny

Hey guys, one question, I'm about to send my US passport off for renewal in Manila but had a question regarding "permanenet address". I am here on a tourist visa and married to a filipina since 2007, of course going up to BI when I have to play the games and pay the dues but on the ds-82 form can I put my residential Philippine address in where it asks for permanent address? I have no other, I haven't been back to the states thus do not have a permanent address there whatsoever just an emergency contact address there. Hope you can help. Thanks alot.

heyjoe (Jerry's the name not joe) :)

Yes, your present address is what is expected.