Sign in to follow this  
CardiacKid

US Passport Renewal

Jawny

I had a visa transferred in Cebu years back. No need to go to Manila, my experience.

John B

I renewed my passport 2 yrs ago in Cebu.  Filled in the form in black ink, printed.  2 pictures must NOT be digital.      I use the photo shop in Ayala street level near the pizza shop/kids play center.   They know what is needed for passport renewal.   No hassel at all.   they give you copies of pertinent pages.   took something like 4 weeks.   Plan ahead and zero problems.

Monsoon

I had a visa transferred in Cebu years back. No need to go to Manila, my experience.

Right, Manila is local for Miles...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

BossHog

doing a renewal now.

filled out the DS-82 wizard form which took maybe ten minutes.

and it generated a PDF file which I printed.

the photos required are 2x2" which is a bit different from the standard Philippine passport photo size, so be sure and specify 2x2" photos at the photo shop.

called air21. very professional. only a six minute call to their land-line

estimated pick-up date is six or seven days from now (I'm in a remote location)

now here's what surprised me:

the total fee for pick-up of the application AND delivery of the new passport is only 198 pesos total.

considering it will entail four boat trips and four trips across this island, that's quite a bargain.

anyways, I'll keep my experience with air21/US passport renewal updated as I go through it.

Last time I used air21 we actually had to put up the courier for the night and feed him as he'd missed the last boat back to the mainland.lol

but that was ten years ago.

• Like 1

SkyMan

Wonder who said that?  All photos today are digital.  Below is the official requirements - I have taken and used self timer digital photos for last two passports.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/photos/photos.html

I think that means they must be on photo paper and not plain paper printed off your inkjet printer at home.  You might get away with printing them yourself on photo paper.  And then again, you might not. Easy enough to do them yourself and put 6 2X2s on a jpg and take it to Kodak at the mall or wherever. I usually do that and put the extras in my wallet for when the BoI or bank or whoever wants one. Edited by SkyMan

Salty Dog

They do like your photos on everything here. Seems common in many 3rd world countries.

lopburi3
Printed on matte or glossy photo quality paper

That is the requirement stated and I have done myself on normal home printer.

Monsoon

I paid 50 pesos for my last set of passport photos, I think I got 6 of them. Why do it at home? Just sayin. 

SkyMan

I paid 50 pesos for my last set of passport photos, I think I got 6 of them. Why do it at home? Just sayin. 

I take the pics myself and then crop them so I know they're right.  I'd rather not sit in some cramped internet café or whatever waiting for the 'photographer' to get back from lunch or whatever to spend 30 minutes getting me my rush ID photos.

lopburi3

In Thailand it is next to impossible to obtain passport photos on the required background and of the required size outside of several places adjacent to Embassy or Consulate.  Thai requirement is a blue background for official photos and even when shot on white it will be changed by processor (been there - three attempts and all failed - had to revert to b/w (which can not do now)).   Would rather have it right the first time. 

Edited by lopburi3

mpt1947

If you're a member of the RAO and have FPO mail service you can mail in the passport renewal the same as you would if you were living in the US and I believe the fee is lower.  I think you can do that through PhilPost as well but then you might not see your passport again.

In any case I recommend checking the box on the form requesting the extra page version of the passport as they are now charging almost as much to add pages as to renew the passport.

So let me see if I am more awake now

How do I address the Envelope going to the Embassy?  How about using a Courier?

I created a PDF of my Application how long is that good for before mailing?

Thanks

Monsoon

I take the pics myself and then crop them so I know they're right.  I'd rather not sit in some cramped internet café or whatever waiting for the 'photographer' to get back from lunch or whatever to spend 30 minutes getting me my rush ID photos.

The process must differ greatly where you are. Here I would just go to any decent mall, find the photo place, tell them what I want, pay, be called into the studio, get picture taken, receive claim stub, grab a coffee or lunch and then pick up my photos 20 minutes later. 

In Thailand it is next to impossible to obtain passport photos on the required background and of the required size outside of several places adjacent to Embassy or Consulate.  Thai requirement is a blue background for official photos and even when shot on white it will be changed by processor (been there - three attempts and all failed - had to revert to b/w (which can not do now)).   Would rather have it right the first time. 

I have visted a few US embassies in other countries and they have given me a list of 'approved' photo takers. I thought this was peculiar but it seems it can be a problem elsewhere. In the Philippines they seem to have it down - probably a pretty common request, when you consider how many Filipinos also hold US passports and visas. 

BossHog

well, Air/21 just called.

they're not interested in serving an 'inaccesible remote location'

and so it begins.

Headshot

well, Air/21 just called.

they're not interested in serving an 'inaccesible remote location'

and so it begins.

So...they won't go to Siargao at all? That seems awfully narrow-minded of them.

• Like 1