Sign in to follow this  
CardiacKid

US Passport Renewal

Jawny

I made a discovery that helps in the process. The State Department website, as well as the Manila embassy has a system in place where the DS11 form for getting a passport can be completed online. It is pretty straightforward. You go thru the steps using a secure (HTTPS) website. Once the data is filled in, the last page shows the summary (which can be edited) and even calculates the fees.

You can then choose to save the data into a PDF DS11 form and, wham bam, it is downloaded onto your device and ready for printing.

Brucewayne

What size pics are required, how many pics and what is the full fee of the renewal?

If going to the Consulate, what are you required to take with you?

I presume the form must be filled out in advance and can be downloaded online.

passingby

Did mine at Cebu a year ago and it was SO much nicer than Manila.  Picked it up also from the consulate here but the passport card I also got was LOST in Manila but thanks to John and staff and a few calls it was found and on my next trip to Manila I picked it up personally at the American" Non"-Service Section of the Embassy.  Lets hope John and staff are here a LONG time - they are GREAT im my opinion. 

• Like 2

Salty Dog

When I visited the Manila website for the Embassy they had set up a system which forced the applicant to use their online system. Great effort, but forces the applicant to make an appointment in Manila as well.

Seems that the Air21 process of sending the application in is now replaced with the newer system.

I understand that the consulate in Cebu will receive and process the passport application on a walk in basis.

That leads me to a question of those who have used the Cebu location.

Will they accept an application which has been filled in by hand?

I am having difficulties getting the application form filled in on my computer. I'm sure there are comouter experts who could walk me through how to fix the computer problem. However, if they will receive the document filled in by hand, then that is a simpler solution/

Did mine online and sent old passport to Manila, but you do not send any payment yet. In a few days they will send you an email with instructions to make the payment in person. I actually had a guy pay the fee for me in Cebu. Had to show them a copy of the email and passport. I got my new passport in about 10 days. Couldn't believe how fast it was.

• Like 1

GoHuk

It seems the US system is much more convenient than the revised UK system.  I baulked at having to trust AND PAY couriers to shunt my UK renewal between Hong Kong and London, so a friend has taken my application back to the UK and will, hopefully, return with my new passport.  If so I've saved over 70 GBP.  I will open a new thread when I have an update - meanwhile back on topic ...

SkyMan

If you're a member of the RAO and have FPO mail service you can mail in the passport renewal the same as you would if you were living in the US and I believe the fee is lower.  I think you can do that through PhilPost as well but then you might not see your passport again.

In any case I recommend checking the box on the form requesting the extra page version of the passport as they are now charging almost as much to add pages as to renew the passport.

• Like 1

Monsoon

If you are eligible to renew by mail,there is absolutely no reason to do anything except schedule a pickup with the embassy's contracted service (Air21 I think). They pick it up, and deliver it to your door, reliably. The embassy gives you an email when they receive it and dispatch it to the states and likewise you get an email when it's on itS way to you.

There's no need to complicate a simple process.

SkyMan

Air 21 more reliable than the US mail?  Maybe but I don't think so.  Not sure how that's complicated but I guess for some people.

Edited by SkyMan

Monsoon

Air 21 more reliable than the US mail?  Maybe but I don't think so.  Not sure how that's complicated but I guess for some people.

Absolutely more reliable. It is sent to the US embassy in MNL and they send it via diplomatic pouch to the US. Once it is returned it is sent Air 21 to your door. US mail has no control over what happens once it leaves the USA. In fact US mail only has a 40% delivery rate to me in the Philippines over the last 7 years or so.

Headshot

Absolutely more reliable. It is sent to the US embassy in MNL and they send it via diplomatic pouch to the US. Once it is returned it is sent Air 21 to your door. US mail has no control over what happens once it leaves the USA. In fact US mail only has a 40% delivery rate to me in the Philippines over the last 7 years or so.

You obviously don't understand what Skyman was talking about. At RAO, we have an FPO (Fleet Post Office) address, which is a US address, so our mail is in US hands all the way...both directions. PhilPost (the guys who lose 60% of the mail coming from the US) never get their hands on it. It is BY FAR the most secure way to send anything to and from the US. Even if you use couriers here, you are still trusting Filipinios to get things where they are supposed to go. I don't know many people who have lived here very long who haven't had a courier lose something at some point. RAO is only for retired and disabled US military.

However, for passport renewal, an alternate solution for those in Cebu (who don't have access to RAO) is to just take their passport and application through the US Consulate here in Cebu. That way, it goes by pouch the whole way...and then have it sent back to the US Consulate when it's done, where you can pick it up. I did that with my daughter's passport, and never had to worry about it. When it is due back, you just call the consulate office to see if it is there yet, and then go pick it up when it arrives.

Monsoon

You obviously don't understand what Skyman was talking about. At RAO, we have an FPO (Fleet Post Office) address, which is a US address, so our mail is in US hands all the way...both directions. PhilPost (the guys who lose 60% of the mail coming from the US) never get their hands on it. It is BY FAR the most secure way to send anything to and from the US. Even if you use couriers here, you are still trusting Filipinios to get things where they are supposed to go. I don't know many people who have lived here very long who haven't had a courier lose something at some point. RAO is only for retired and disabled US military.

Actually I do understand RAO, but not every member here is eligible for that service.

Jawny

I used the Consulate in Cebu last month (April) to renew two passports for my children. The process is as described by previous posts.  I used the forms provided online, completed them, assembled the "growing up" photos, brought my cash payment, the old passports, the 2x2 photos and copies and original as instructed.

The Consulate works on a "first come, first served" basis, although I did have one fellow jump the line when he told security he had an appointment.  The security at the door gives a number to each person(s) who shows up and each is signed in, surrenders cell phones etc.  A comfortable waiting area is provided and slowly but surely, each person is attended to.  

The staff is polite and helpful.  

The process is exactly the same as it was five years previously, though this time John spoke about a bike ride he made in Leyte where I came from.  Instead of a bureaucratic hassle, it was a pleasant experience.

As far as picking up the passports, I just need to wait a long enough period, call to see if they have arrived at the Consulate and fetch them.

Regarding the Air21 process....I used that process to renew my passport several years ago.  It worked just fine.  After the paperwork was received in Manila, I was called by the embassy and when I mentioned I lived in Leyte, they suggested I could do the formal "swearing" part in Cebu.  I just waited a short while for the documents to be passed to Cebu, called to confirm and made a trip just as I described above.  After a month or so, the passport was ready for pick up in Cebu.

Frankly, if I lived in Manila, I think I would rather come to the Consulate in Cebu for such routine stuff.  

Headshot

Actually I do understand RAO, but not every member here is eligible for that service.

That is true, but Skyman never said they were. He said "If you're a member of the RAO" and he added that if you send a passport through PhilPost, you may never see it again. If they aren't members of RAO, the most secure method is to take the passport to the US Consulate, and have them send it in with the application for a new passport.

miles-high

My US passport renewal application taken to Air21 office nearby Jan 6, 2014
Received by the Embassy Jan 7
Received the notice to pay Jan 16 (email)
Paid in person Jan 17 (only 2 persons ahead of me, about 20 min wait time)**
Passport delivered by Air21 Jan 29

About the same amount of time it takes to renew from Guam (it's nicer to stay here than spending 3 weeks in Guam ;))

Now I have to find a way to have my visa transferred onto my new passport... :D

** In Manila

Edited by miles-high

Monsoon

Now I have to find a way to have my visa transferred onto my new passport... :D

** In Manila

Ahh yes, that's a trip to intramuros. Starts with a visit to one of the windows downstairs where you get a form for "omissions and corrections" or something like that. Then you go upstairs and they put a stamp in for you. I had to do it once when I was on a PEZA visa. 

Edited by Monsoon