Sign in to follow this  
CardiacKid

US Passport Renewal

CardiacKid

For those of you like me who like to download and fill out forms at home, here's a heads up. The Embassy requires that you provide two (2) passport photos when you apply at the Consulate to renew your passport. This requirement is not on the Embassy webpage or on the Form DS 82 that you fill out to renew your passport. John Domingo agreed with me that it is not posted by the Embassy and said he would inform them so they could update their webpage. I thought I would post it here to inform the members. I would rate my Consulate visit as a 5 star experience out of five stars. I shudder to think what it would be if I had to go to Manila to do it. Expected turnaround time on the passport is 4 weeks.

• Like 6

Monsoon

I shudder to think what it would be if I had to go to Manila to do it. Expected turnaround time on the passport is 4 weeks.

FYI, there's no need to go anywhere to renew your passport. They will send Air21 to pick up your application and return your new passport the same way. It seems to be one of the few things that works here. I suspect Air21 knows they have a good thing and doesn't want to screw it up. You get an email from the embassy when your application is dispatched to the US and when it returns so you get a heads up.

• Like 1

SkyMan

If you have FPO mail through thte RAO you can send it PA with 1 pic and the fee is $110. Turn around time is about the same, 4-6 weeks.

Also, I'd suggest anyone applying for a new or renewal passport now to check the box for the extra pages version of the passport as adding pages is no longer free and the fee is almost as high as getting a renewal, $82.

Edited by SkyMan

Headshot

If you have FPO mail through thte RAO you can send it PA with 1 pic and the fee is $110. Turn around time is about the same, 4-6 weeks.

Also, I'd suggest anyone applying for a new or renewal passport now to check the box for the extra pages version of the passport as adding pages is no longer free and the fee is almost as high as getting a renewal, $82.

What is PA, and who do you send the application to? Are you just cutting the embassy out of the process by sending it through the mail?

CebuKano

Excellent advice. I got burned by this very thing and I couldn't believe what they charged me for the extra pages.

SkyMan

What is PA, and who do you send the application to? Are you just cutting the embassy out of the process by sending it through the mail?

http://travel.state.gov/passport/renew/renew_833.html

Just the normal renewal by mail as if you lived in the US.

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/79960.pdf

PA = Pennsylvania. Philadelphia, PA

• Like 1

Headshot

Now you've done it...you forced me to pin this topic. This is good information.

• Like 1

Rocketman

Big help guys, thanks!

Jawny

When I visited the Manila website for the Embassy they had set up a system which forced the applicant to use their online system. Great effort, but forces the applicant to make an appointment in Manila as well.

Seems that the Air21 process of sending the application in is now replaced with the newer system.

I understand that the consulate in Cebu will receive and process the passport application on a walk in basis.

That leads me to a question of those who have used the Cebu location.

Will they accept an application which has been filled in by hand?

I am having difficulties getting the application form filled in on my computer. I'm sure there are comouter experts who could walk me through how to fix the computer problem. However, if they will receive the document filled in by hand, then that is a simpler solution/

CardiacKid
Will they accept an application which has been filled in by hand?
Yes, as long as it in black ink and is legible. I turned in hand written forms and they accepted mine. I used block print lettering.

Paul

So, you can no longer renew your passport at the US Consular Agency in Cebu? Or, can you still do that as an option? Mine was last renewed in 2005, at that location.

Edited by Paul

Jawny

From other threads in the forum(s) members reported the process at Cebu was still in effect. That is, members have used Cebu recently on a walk in basis. In effect, they had their documents accepted and processed by Cebu. If ciurse, it goes then to Manila and beyond. But, the need to go to Manila is not necessary.

I am passing this along from other posts.

A few years back I did the Air21 process and when I was contacted by Manila for the face-to-face part of the process, they obliged me and sent the forms to Cebu. After a week or so, the package I sent was in Cebu. I went in, did the "raise your right hand" thing and brought my child. In effect, what was to be done in Manila was done in Cebu.

Sure makes sense.

• Like 1

Monsoon

You mean no more Air21 pick up and delivery (something that actually worked and was convenient)?? Please tell me its not so!!

EDIT - Just had a look at the embassy website. It appears nothing significant has changed, you can still renew your passport like before....

Edited by Monsoon

CardiacKid

So, you can no longer renew your passport at the US Consular Agency in Cebu? Or, can you still do that as an option? Mine was last renewed in 2005, at that location.

Yes you can still renew your passport at the Consulate. I still do not trust Air 21 not to lose it.

Monsoon

Yes you can still renew your passport at the Consulate. I still do not trust Air 21 not to lose it.

They are probably sending to the embassy via Air21.