The strengthening peso

It's not just the US-PHP fx rate that has suffered. The CDN-PHP is also down almost 10% since this time last year. I can understand why the US$ has suffered but, why the CDN$??

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• InternetTough

• spooks

• smokey

• A_Simple_Man

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A lot of "economic experts" have never been to the Philippines. Experts have been predicting growth in the Philippines for the last forty years. Those experts don't understand the situation on the gro

They will adjust, or they will find somewhere cheaper to live.   Liberals / Democrats: If you click this spoiler, do not give me shit about it. You have been warned:    

It is not just the US dollar going down! The Philippine economy is moving forward. There are a lot of dollars moving into the Philippines through the stock market. This is known as "hot money" because

USMC-Retired

NAFTA Canada relies on the US to export goods. Businesses want to continue to sell goods to the US and if the Canada dollar rises then less goods are sold. So it came on par with the US dollar where it will remain now for almost ever. Because Canada and US are interlocked in business.

It's not just the US-PHP fx rate that has suffered. The CDN-PHP is also down almost 10% since this time last year. I can understand why the US$ has suffered but, why the CDN$??

I suppose the other view is that the CDN $ as well as AUS $ are so far ahead of where they have been a 10% drop is not much more than a leveling out I also suspect that both those currencies will strengthen along with Chinese demand for resources which will recover during 2013/14.

I suppose the other view is that the CDN $ as well as AUS $ are so far ahead of where they have been a 10% drop is not much more than a leveling out I also suspect that both those currencies will strengthen along with Chinese demand for resources which will recover during 2013/14.

good point.

the Philippines and Cambodia are quite similar.

2 total different cultures with total different foods and total different languages, yep very similar!

2 total different cultures with total different foods and total different languages, yep very similar!

Another know-it-all who completely missed the point.

• Like 2
POTATOMAN

Another know-it-all who completely missed the point.

got to say i like both places; it's more expensive in the philippines but there is more here.
  • Like 1

A lot of "economic experts" have never been to the Philippines. Experts have been predicting growth in the Philippines for the last forty years. Those experts don't understand the situation on the ground. Trying to get the Philippines to advance economically without proper infrastructure is like trying to get an airplane to fly without any kind of airfoil (such as wings). If you took away the remittances, the Philippine economy would fall like a rock.

The facts are the facts and the fact is that Filipino GDP is now growing at over 7% annually, in fact in the last quarter the Philippines posted the fastest growth in the whole of SE Asia...The Philippines could fast turn into a little Tiger.

Edited by Contango
  • Like 2
USMC-Retired

I think it is all a false sense of security for the Philippines as they will fail to invest properly. So when hot money parts they will be worse off.

Yes. Your right, I would maybe do half and invest the rest in Canada

good choice

S and P? recently predicted by 2040 or something Canada bonds would be the only investment grade bonds in the western world. not even australia.

wish i was in your choice.

im locked in euros. pension already cut last year, delinking from inflation shortly to be announced, with possible extra 10% cut in 2013

The facts are the facts and the fact is that Filipino GDP is now growing at over 7% annually, in fact in the last quarter the Philippines posted the fastest growth in the whole of SE Asia...The Philippines could fast turn into a little Tiger.

Yes the facts are the 7% growth is mainly from OFW remittances and Hot money inflows. So Human trafficking and money that goes out same second it arrives is giving a headline figure that does not support the population growth. A miss is as good as a mile etc. The Philippines needs that growth to be in infrastructure and job creation programs. sadly it is not in either.

A striped p*ssy doth not a tiger make....meowww

Edited by spooks

Yes the facts are the 7% growth is mainly from OFW remittances and Hot money inflows. So Human trafficking and money that goes out same second it arrives is giving a headline figure that does not support the population growth. A miss is as good as a mile etc. The Philippines needs that growth to be in infrastructure and job creation programs. sadly it is not in either.

A striped p*ssy doth not a tiger make....meowww

not really. OFW remittances obnly account for about 5% of Philippines GDP and are growing at only 5%. so remiitaces only accounts for a small part of 7% growth.

and "hot money" is usually highly liquid, and a lot will tend to be invested ig equities. theses has little direct effect on GDP.

• Like 1
InternetTough

http://www.bloomberg...lowdown-1-.html

From above-cited article:

"President Benigno Aquino is increasing spending to a record this year while seeking more than $16 billion of investments in roads and airports to spur growth to as much as 7 percent in 2013. Lawmakers passed a bill this week to raise taxes on cigarettes and alcohol, which may add 184.3 billion pesos ($4.5 billion) in revenue in the next four years."

Some on this forum are citing infrastructure problems in the Philippines as a solid obstacle to growth. Well, the government has committed itself to an infrastructure building program, and has even resorted to the ancient conservative practice of actually raising taxes to help pay for something.

Edited by InternetTough

http://www.bloomberg...lowdown-1-.html

From above-cited article:

"President Benigno Aquino is increasing spending to a record this year while seeking more than $16 billion of investments in roads and airports to spur growth to as much as 7 percent in 2013. Lawmakers passed a bill this week to raise taxes on cigarettes and alcohol, which may add 184.3 billion pesos ($4.5 billion) in revenue in the next four years."

Some on this forum are citing infrastructure problems in the Philippines as a solid obstacle to growth. Well, the government has committed itself to an infrastructure building program, and has even resorted to the ancient conservative practice of actually raising taxes to help pay for something.

the government spent less than 50% of its alloted budget for infrastructure last year. This years spend is still below the budget