The strengthening peso

The BSP sees the peso at 37 to 1 next year. What do you think? What will Americans do on pensions with rising costs and less money to spend?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• InternetTough

• spooks

• smokey

• A_Simple_Man

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A lot of "economic experts" have never been to the Philippines. Experts have been predicting growth in the Philippines for the last forty years. Those experts don't understand the situation on the gro

They will adjust, or they will find somewhere cheaper to live.   Liberals / Democrats: If you click this spoiler, do not give me shit about it. You have been warned:    

It is not just the US dollar going down! The Philippine economy is moving forward. There are a lot of dollars moving into the Philippines through the stock market. This is known as "hot money" because

They will adjust, or they will find somewhere cheaper to live.

Liberals / Democrats: If you click this spoiler, do not give me shit about it. You have been warned:

They will also wish they had voted differently in the recent elections.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 3
CebuKano

I will not be surprised if the US $ falls to 30 to one against the peso by this time next year. The federal reserve continues to do everything in it's power to devalue the dollar. Just to help their criminal global bankster friends. The "too big to fails".

• Like 3

If that happens the u s will be in serious trouble a 23% drop in 1 year I don't see it going much lower then 39. Anything is possible.

InternetTough

It is not just the US dollar going down! The Philippine economy is moving forward. There are a lot of dollars moving into the Philippines through the stock market. This is known as "hot money" because it isn't very settled---it can flood into the country for a few months, then move out. The government here doesn't want the peso to move up too much, but only in proportion to its own real economic growth. Don't think that it is all about the USA.

A lot of economic experts from all over the world think that the Philippines is the next happening place in East Asia. Remittances are also up this year.

http://www.bloomberg...icans-jobs.html

Edited by InternetTough
  • Like 3
smokey

If that happens the u s will be in serious trouble a 23% drop in 1 year I don't see it going much lower then 39. Anything is possible.

i dont think the usa really cares what the rate of the peso vs dollar is and never will until only 8 years ago to get the rate you had to click other from the long list of countries that had posted rates... when and if it goes to 37 or even 35 you will adjust or you will leave there comes a tipping point when its just not worth all the adjusting you did to live here is worth the money your received...maybe if your married its time to take your wife to the usa for a few years let her work and get her own SS acct going , We have a plan of our own living in both places not because its cheaper but because we have an anchor house so not much choice but we will start selling some property we have in a few years and then earn in peso

• Like 1
smokey

Is there cheaper places to live?

sure there is always cheaper places to live depending on what your willing to give up

Is there cheaper places to live?

Cambodia, so far, is cheaper than the Philippines. Fish and meats are cheaper at the public markets. Beer is on tap and is cheaper here, at many places. Here is a facebook page of one of the members of Kenny's Cambodia forum: 50c US beer in Cambodia.

sure there is always cheaper places to live depending on what your willing to give up

Oh, I would not necessarily say that you have to give up something. I didn't have to give up anything here in Cambodia. In fact, visas, alone, make it worthwhile to stay here long term. $290 USD / year with no - that is zero visits to immigration. You have someone take your passport there for you, all inclusive.

• Like 2
POTATOMAN

APART from the locals not speaking english, the hygiene, the general infrastructure; roads, shopping malls, restaurants, electricity and airports.

Cambodia is a nice place but is still a 3rd world country- you get what you pay for.

• Like 1
Jack_be_nimble

The U.S. dollar will remain strong. The Fed Chairman is getting weary of the idea of further QE moves. It was obvious in his speech back during the QE3 phase.

MarinePride

The only thing the US has remaining is the USD as the worlds reserve currency. Without that, it is Greece. Also a strong peso is not good for exporters here, as it makes goods more expensive at targeted export markets.

• Like 1

One of the handy things about Cambodia is that you deal in $US, no conversion.

If something is marked $10 then $10 is what you pay.

Like I said, handy.

KonGC

APART from the locals not speaking english, the hygiene, the general infrastructure; roads, shopping malls, restaurants, electricity and airports.

Cambodia is a nice place but is still a 3rd world country- you get what you pay for.

Um, are you in a first world country now? :D

Granted, communication - or lack of it, is a major issue here. However, other than that, the Philippines and Cambodia are quite similar.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1
A_Simple_Man

What do you guys expect when, according to Forbes magazine:

the United States government can create an infinite number of dollars at no cost to meet its obligations.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/pascalemmanuelgobry/2012/10/19/no-the-united-states-will-not-go-into-a-debt-crisis-not-now-not-ever/

Seems to me that printing more dollars simply means the ones in circulation are going to be worth less. That means it is going the way of the Peso.