Sign in to follow this  
CardiacKid

Social Security Proof of Life Forms

CardiacKid

It's almost that time to begin wondering if SS will send you a form and if you will receive it. This might help. Here are download links to the form (SSA 7162) and the instructions. Note they are separate downloads and the instructions give you the mailing address. The form is here: http://www.mudin.net...261623.html the instructions are here: https://secure.ssa.g... remember that if they do not receive it, they will cut off your benefits. reason for edit: Links didn't work Can't get the links to work Pls cancel the post.

Edited by Paul
Hyperlinks are okay. I removed the excess characters in the hyperlinks.

Paul

I sorted the links for you. They are fine now.

Here is a PDF (Portable Document Format) of the SSA-7162 that I found online.

ssa-7162.pdf

I imagine you could download this file, fill it out and mail it to the SSA in the US?

• Thanks 1

tom_shor

Do you have to send them a picture of yourself holding up todays newspaper?

• Like 1

dc3driver

I have heard that you only have to send it if you are asked to. We have never been asked to , so haven't sent it & are getting benifits here in the RP

Paul

That only applies if you are trying to get a million bucks and are saying you were kidnapped by the NPA, CIA, SPCA, YMCA, or the PTA.

I have heard that you only have to send it if you are asked to. We have never been asked to , so haven't sent it & are getting benifits here in the RP

That would sound logical to me as well.

CardiacKid

You are correct. The problem is they send it to your physical address here in the RP by PhilPost. If you do not return it by 60 days from the date they mail it, they cut off your benefits. It is mailed on a random basis and you may not receive it each year. If they do cut you off, you have to call the SSA in Manila and they will send you another by Air 21. You fill it out and send it back to Manila. Total time is about 5 days but some might get that lean and hungry look if they do not have the savings to cover the wait time.

Headshot

The problem is they send it to your physical address here in the RP by PhilPost. If you do not return it by 60 days from the date they mail it, they cut off your benefits.

Therein lies the problem. Tricare has sent me mail at my physical address that has taken over 90 days to reach me. If there is anyway to have the SSA send your correspondence to you through RAO, that would be the way to go. Average time for mail to get here through the FPO system in two to three weeks. Provided you check your mail periodically at RAO, that should give you ample time to return the questionaire to them. Of course, that option is only available to those who qualify for membership in RAO (retired military and disabled veterans).

fredanna

What age does this start?? I am 66 and have not had to sign proof of life yet. I had to manage my parents proof of life for their insurance checks to continue not SS ( in their 90's). I'll look at the links and see what's up.

Edit: The forms look like a status report to be filled out by expats, who are no longer in the USA. Possibly proof of life living out of the USA.

fred

Edited by fredanna

Paul
You are correct. The problem is they send it to your physical address here in the RP by PhilPost. If you do not return it by 60 days from the date they mail it, they cut off your benefits. It is mailed on a random basis and you may not receive it each year. If they do cut you off, you have to call the SSA in Manila and they will send you another by Air 21. You fill it out and send it back to Manila. Total time is about 5 days but some might get that lean and hungry look if they do not have the savings to cover the wait time.

I just got an email from a friend of mine who had this happen to him some time back. He lives in Manila. He took it upon himself to contact the SSA when he thought the document should have already been delivered to his address. Apparently, they had sent the document, but he never received it. According to what he told me, they extended the time (60 days) for an additional month, for him to get the form mailed into them.

So, I guess, if you believe you may be due to receive this document, give the SSA a ring about every month or two, just to make sure no forms have been mailed out to you?

Edited by Paul
removed one stupid question.

Mattnlenny

I forwarded my mail from Aus to here about 8 weeks ago. Personal and business. Cost me nearly $900. Still have not received a thing. Had to go back to Aus a couple of weeks ago and cancelled it as it was not working.....got $210 returned!

Money well spent......good times!

batman2525

Dont give em any ideas....

• Like 1

Jack_be_nimble

Interesting.  I thought the proof of life forms where sent out at or near your anniversary date for signing up to collect.  I get my form mailed to me in June (or around that time).

Jester

Has SS ever heard of Email?

tonny

First unless they have changed the rules they do not cut you off in 60 days if the do not receive the still you are you alive form, which is not called that they send it out three times before they do that,if they not get a reply back bye Dec. Then the Jan check gets cut off. But not sure they do that all the time . I send it back to my sister in America,she send in for me i also send one to there international off office bye fax  in Baltimore  MD. There fax number is on there web site and ask them to forward to Erie PA ,Plus i send the original form in the envelope back in my self  ,Air mail registered return recite requested, when they pick up the mail they sign for it even if going to a PO Box  this year just got mine and the daughters back we mail in June, only 5 months not bad this year . Have never had it cut off in 11 years have been doing it . I also give the mail guy 100 P for any SS mail he deliver to me  and my wife for the daughter, he usually bring one mail then a few days later he bring the other one guess, he want too get 200 pesos ,i don't complain just go with the flow. But not sure if the will cut the child's check off if it not send back on time. As they treat children different some times . Also my Mom who lived always in the US got the form the when she turn 90 years old i think. Good luck

Edited by tonny
  • Like 1

NOSOCALPINOY
This is info from a few yrs back I posted on other forums and if some info is out of date, let me know.

I personally have not ever received one of these aka a Dead or Alive Form, but I have relieved an official letter to perform a mandatory face to face interview at the U.S. Embassy in Manila at the SSA Dept and I was not yet eligible for Social Security at that time. It had to do with my Civil Service pension to see if I was still alive.

Below are tips on living in the Philippines I found searching all over the internet and collecting US Social Security payments.  It is not really that different from doing it in the States, with one exception, the Dead or Alive Form.

As you may have guessed, it is not really called the “dead or alive form”, but that is what it is.  If they receive the form (“Alive!”), then SSA continues your benefits!  If they do not receive it (“Dead”) and you will be upset some February 3rd (like I am now!).  These tips will help keep your money flowing to you and will help you speed up thing if your benefits do get suspended.

The SSA Game Plan

If all goes well, SSA sends you this form in May each year.  If they do not receive an answer (they say in 60 days) then they send you another one in October.  Likewise, if they do not receive the first or second form, they say they send you another in December. If you do not get any of these back to them post haste, you will notice your check or direct deposit missing February 3rd.  Sadly, this happens a lot!  You do get the money eventually, usually about 5-10 days for direct deposit and 3-6 weeks for a check – AFTER they receive your completed form.

If your SSA Benefits Stop…

Stopped Benefits in the Philippines are usually cause by SSA not receiving your dead or alive form! Notice that everything depends on SSA RECEIVING your completed form.

Many people fire off an email to find out why their checks have stopped.  Do it if you want.  Email SSA Manila at [email protected]  They will likely email you back in a few days, and say your benefits were stopped because you did not complete and return  Form SSA-7162.

Download the SSA-7162 Form

If you didn’t receive any of the three forms (which is most often the case), you can download a blank form. Use a Newer Version if possible.

Form SSA-7162-OCR-SM (7-2011)

Form SSA-7162-OCR-SM (09-2004)

Fill Up the Form

It is pretty straight forward except for one crucial thing…

Look at the top right of the form and fine the box that says…

2. Telephone number at which you may be contacted during the day.

Right below that box is an empty box,  Be SURE to put your Social Security Number in that empty box. If you do not put your SSN in that box, or if you do not write it clearly so anyone can read it, your form will end up in the trash and WILL NOT BE RECEIVED.

There is NO instruction anywhere that tells you the last sentence above!

Mail the Form SSA-7162

U. S. Postal Service

Social Security Administration

P.O. Box 7162

Wilkes-Barre, PA 18767-7162

U.S.A.

Courier the Form SSA-7162

Private Delivery Service (FedEx (Air-21), UPS, LBC, etc.)

Social Security Administration

Data Operations Center

Attn: SSA-7162 Process

1150 E. Mountain Drive

Wilkes-Barre, PA 18767-7162

U.S.A.

FAX Form SSA-7162

You can FAX the form to the international desk using the following fax numbers:

I myself haven't used this method, but for those who have let us know if it works

If the last 2 digits of your social security number is 00 to 16: 410-965-5882

If the last 2 digits of your social security number is 17 to 32: 410-966-6782

If the last 2 digits of your social security number is 33 to 49: 410-965-8054

If the last 2 digits of your social security number is 50 to 66: 410-965-9409

If the last 2 digits of your social security number is 57 to 82: 410-966-5552

If the last 2 digits of your social security number is 83 to 99: 410-966-1042

Preventing Loss of Your SSA Benefits

Maybe you celebrate the American Thanks Giving, or All Saints Day, or Halloween, or your birthday is in November, that is the day to take action!

Download the form, fill it up, take it to the post office, and mail it.  I have had pretty good luck by mailing it AT THE POST OFFICE!

Do not use mail centers, or drop boxes, or the box at the corner sari-sari store.

If your post office has a slot for “USA Only” all the better! Your letter will likely drop into a mail bag and put on a plane for the USA without being sorted!

One Last Advice

Always fill up and return any form you receive from Social Security as soon as possible.

Edited by NOSOCALPINOY