Sign in to follow this  
udonthani

terrorist attack in Cebu

Cannonball
Until December? Christmas, my friend, lasts a heck of a lot longer than December in the Philippines.
Indeed it does LOL... for me the Up Side Stands Much Taller then the Down Side... I can and do get frustrated at times but over all it's a good place to live and call Home. All five of my kid's were born here so I doubt I will be leaving anytime in the forseeable future.
  • Like 3

Paul

He's the only person I know who goes on holiday, only to return home to file claims against his travel insurance for Christmas carolers. He probably hand carries the envelope with the claim form, just so he doesn't have to pay postage.

• Like 4

Paul
scrooge_r.jpg
  • Like 1

Cannonball

post-1-0-51808900-1355160633_thumb.jpg

The Oil Can is missing so I assume the BAH HUMBUG attitude comes from the constant chaffing and or squeeking when he tries to sneak out without freely helping to enhance someone's less fortunate Christmas
  • Like 1

CebuKano

It's Christmas Guys and even though we don't see ourselves a rich we have allot more than the average Filipino does... During the course of the Christmas season our family tosses a couple thousand or more P5 coins over the balcony to the folks below... They are never roudy or rude and it's all in fun and freely given... One year when we were on really hard times and couldn't afford it we only tossed a few 1 piso coins... Nobody got angry or rude and the next day several folks stopped by with small gifts of food... I was taken back to put it mildly... The moral of the story here (for me) is there are allot of good Filipinos with hearts just as big as mine here, and I am proud to live among them... I live in a Filipino Subdivision and the few foriegners that move in here don't stay long. Merry Christmas!

Now THAT's what the Christmas Season is all about. I have lived in a similar neighborhood as you describe for a long time and the people here are great. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I've never had a single instance of anything being stolen or ruined because the people here all look out for one another, especially me since I'm the only foreigner who has ever lived here for any length of time and it's not just because I hand out money every day because I don't by any means.

But at Christmas time we look forward to the kids singing and we will stop what we are doing and go downstairs when we hear them and give them a few pesos. For neighborhood kids we give twenty pesos and for strangers we give five or ten, depending on how many are in the group. I don't know why, but it has never bothered me to do it.

That's a cool story about how your neighbors came by with the gifts of food because as you say, a lot of people have very little and the fact that they were still willing to help you out speaks volumes about what's in their hearts. You are lucky to live where you do.

• Like 2

Davaoeno

I'm sorry if you don't have a little extra budget during the holidays to spread some Christmas cheer but I will think of you while I'm wasting some of my pesos on my neighbors.

well Mr Generous maybe you wouldnt mind coming over and spending some of that extra budget on my 3000 neighbors also .

• Like 3

Davaoeno
If you choose to not help your fellow neighbors during the Holidays then that is your business

If that is your opinion i dont understand why you made the post previous to that one ??

• Like 2

jtmwatchbiz

Haha.. Right... It's never been nor will it ever be a problem with me. If you choose to not help your fellow neighbors during the Holidays then that is your business. I don't mind it at all. You guys need to lighten up a little bit.... It's Christmas :D

buddy...you have no clue. my wife's family businesses sponsor PLENTY of xmas benefit activities for the poor and young, including barangay food give-aways. maybe you need to lighten up about your paltry 20p pittance offerings and realize there are others that regularly give much more, just not to beggars outside their gated homes...

• Like 2

Monsoon

I guess you could look at it as kind of the equivelent to Halloween here. I just wish it was only one or two days as it does get under my skin. First time I'm actually here from the 15th on in several years.

Edwin

The poor and hungry are poor and hungry twelve months per year. Christmas pesos don't mean much the other eleven months. We can do something that shows Christmas spirit and makes us feel good or we can really do something that makes a difference year round. I wouldn't brag about doing the first.

• Like 5

danoma

I saw a white flag raised from one of the houses, and a cry of 'we surrender!' in French accented English, followed by the sound of a large number of coins hitting the floor.

Again with the old french bashing, how original.

Please tell me where do you come from i'm sure i can find a few clichés about you too.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18409_the-5-most-statistically-full-shit-national-stereotypes.html

Since 387 BC, France has fought 168 major wars against such badasses as the Roman Empire, the British Army and the Turkish forces. Their track record isn't too shabby, either:

They've won 109, lost 49 and drawn (or as close as you can "draw" a war) 10 times. Professional boxers have been crowned world champions on shittier records than that.

And while it is true that France surrendered to Germany relatively early in WWII, that was only because they hadn't picked themselves up after WWI yet. And WWI (despite being an entire "I" lower) wasn't exactly an anemic playground chickenfight--the French suffered about 5.7 million casualties (the war killed or wounded an incredible 37 million people worldwide).

So yes, the next time around they let the Germans take over officially, but they never actually stopped fighting: the French resistance was one of the most enduring symbols of Nazi opposition in Europe. The resistance was the originator of the archetypal trench coat wearing merchants of bloody death you see in countless action movies and video games today. They blew up bridges, staged daring night raids, slit German throats while generally looking fantastic (if a little ennui-stricken) while doing it.

And not a damn thing's changed since then: France is the most underestimated military force in the world, with the third highest military spending on the planet and an estimated 300 nuclear warheads at their disposal. So basically... we might want to knock off the "coward" talk now, lest we find the impeccably-styled death squads smoking their thin cigarettes on our doorstep.

CebuKano

buddy...you have no clue. my wife's family businesses sponsor PLENTY of xmas benefit activities for the poor and young, including barangay food give-aways. maybe you need to lighten up about your paltry 20p pittance offerings and realize there are others that regularly give much more, just not to beggars outside their gated homes...

Good for you! You should be proud :) I'm very happy for you :) , buddy

Edited by Motörhead

cebubird

Give credit where credit is due-can't believe I'm complimenting the OP here, but that was funny, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. So well written that if someone didn't know what it was like with this constant caterwauling, beating of the drums, tin cans, whatever they can find to make noise to go along with the same out of tune "singing", he would not know what to think.

GREAT---Thanks for that!!

• Like 3

udonthani

So yes, the next time around they let the Germans take over officially, but they never actually stopped fighting: the French resistance was one of the most enduring symbols of Nazi opposition in Europe.

only in the movies. I suppose you liked Hogan's Heroes as a kid, then?

how nice for you but I wouldn't base your take on history on it if I were you.

far more French collaborated with the Nazis than resisted them as the nation is only now coming to terms with, and their resistance, such as it was was limited in its effectiveness which was mostly confined to less glamorous intelligence gathering rather than the stirring acts of resistance popularised in the movies, the Germans only bothered to deploy about 6,500 security police in the entire part of France they occupied (they got French police to occupy the other half, in their name). Contrast that with the Danish police who unlike the French police did not work with the Nazis, but who were all arrested and thrown in jail.

the Germans only had to face serious guerilla opposition, where they had a serious drain on their resources in two places - Yugoslavia, and the USSR. France was nowhere, a really placid lot by comparison.

• Like 1

CebuKano

Please Meet The Terrorists... Warning: this video may contain graphic images that some members might find highly offensive and disturbing. It may cause flashbacks to a time when people actually enjoyed the Christmas Holidays. If you have a weak heart (or none at all) please do NOT watch this video. You have been warned.

Edited by Motörhead
  • Like 8