Sign in to follow this  
Reekay

Which method taught you Visayan/Tagolog the fastest?

Reekay

About 15 years ago I learned basic Spanish in a few months from a translation program. (This was before online translators.) I did this so I could date a woman from Mexico who didn't know any English. Now, I want to learn Visayan to help me communicate with the locals (and ladies) a bit easier.

There are Rosetta-type DVDs, there are MP3's and Books. Even though I started my learning of Spanish from the translation program and books, I learned the most from when I spent time speaking with the woman from Mexico. However, here in Philippines, most of the gals speak enough or good English. Plus I don't want to commit to a full-time girlfriend just yet.

So.. I'm curious for those of you who consider yourselves at least 70% proficient in Tagalog or Visayan.. what method worked best for you and how long did it take? I'm trying to figure where to put most of my efforts. Thanks.

Enrique / Reekay

SkyMan

There's a Rosetta Stone and other resources for Tagolog.

For Visayan you pretty much need a teacher who has actually trained in teaching Visayan. A gf or wife probably will only frustrate you. She can tell you if you say something wrong but most likely can't tell you why its wrong beyond "Because that sounds wrong." She can teach you some words and phrases and there are phrase books but that's not really learning the language. The best thing is to figure out what part of the country you plan to live in and get a teacher for the local language there and since you don't have a gf yet, you probably haven't decided where to live yet either.

• Like 2

Hy H
So.. I'm curious for those of you who consider yourselves at least 70% proficient in Tagalog or Visayan

Was going to mention something but I do not fit in to this group yet...........long, long way away from it.

Reekay
The best thing is to figure out what part of the country you plan to live in and get a teacher for the local language there and since you don't have a gf yet, you probably haven't decided where to live yet either.

I've heard there are some pretty amazing little spots hidden all over the Philippines. For now my working plan is to visit a lot of the Cebu/Visayan area, so for now I'll focus on Visayan. I'm not too keen on "the big city" other than for the afternoon, so Manila or central Cebu are not on my list. Looking for something rural yet with a large mall within range for when I want to see a movie, restaurants, etc. :)

Woolf

Have a look here

http://essentialcebu...earncebuano.php

been advertized on this site many times

Hamm

Reekay - Spanish and French are a piece of cake compared to Visayan, in my opinion anyway. I took lessons for a couple years via Skype through a someone who teaches Peace Corps volunteers when they first arrive in the Phils. SkyMan is correct in that you won't go far with a wife or gf teaching you, mainly because they can speak it, but they don't know how to give you a good foundation to build on like an experienced teacher can.

You really have to devote yourself to learning it or it just ain't gonna happen. I read Bisayan articles in Sunstar as much as I can, take lists of words with me when I know I'll have time to kill somewhere and listen to radio stations from Cebu or Bohol over the internet. The best thing you can do is keep at it. It's easy to burn out on it or blow it off for a while and then you lose a lot. Slowly but surely I'm catching on, but still have a long way to go. I listen to some people conversing and realize how much I still suck at it.

Paul

Reekay, contact Bud Brown through this forum. When he first arrived in the Philippines, Bud did not know Cebuano. However, he was already fluent in four other languages - English, Spanish, Vietnamese, and Tagalog. Within a year, he was pretty well fluent in Cebuano as well. Bud Brown also is the person who created the first online course to teach Cebuano - Essential Cebuano. So, I do not believe you will find anyone more qualified to create such a course, as Bud.

• Like 2

Paul

Reekay - Spanish and French are a piece of cake compared to Visayan, in my opinion anyway. I took lessons for a couple years via Skype through a someone who teaches Peace Corps volunteers when they first arrive in the Phils. SkyMan is correct in that you won't go far with a wife or gf teaching you, mainly because they can speak it, but they don't know how to give you a good foundation to build on like an experienced teacher can.

You really have to devote yourself to learning it or it just ain't gonna happen. I read Bisayan articles in Sunstar as much as I can, take lists of words with me when I know I'll have time to kill somewhere and listen to radio stations from Cebu or Bohol over the internet. The best thing you can do is keep at it. It's easy to burn out on it or blow it off for a while and then you lose a lot. Slowly but surely I'm catching on, but still have a long way to go. I listen to some people conversing and realize how much I still suck at it.

Repetition. Repetition. Repetition. And, you are correct, you have to be willing to want to learn it. Otherwise, you are wasting your time.

budbrown

When I landed in Cebu I was determined to learn the language. Knowing Tagalog was a real doubled edged sword. Like a Venn Diagram, some things were the same but many things were different....and many things SEEMED the same but were different LOL. When I begin to study a new language, I always begin by asking a native speaker "How do you say, "I know, I want, I like, I understand, etc....then the negative form of these "I don't know, I don't want..etc....then the question form of these " Do you want? Do you know? Do you like? etc..Then, I ask "How do you say, 'What is this?' in Cebuano?" or " How do you say This is delicious' in Cebuano?"Or any other phrase you want to know. I have found this method will gives me a good start. Hope this helps. Good luck.

• Like 4