A most horrid experience with RCBC Bankard.

A_Simple_Man

A_Simple_Man

A most horrid experience with RCBC Bankard. A rant and a warning to others.

4 and a half years ago I received an RCBC Bankard Visa card by registered mail. I was living in Liloan, Cebu and had been there only a couple of months. I did not ask for it or apply for it but I had opened an account at RCBC Savings Bank in Mandaue so I assumed they had reccomended me for the card. The monthly interest charge is 3.5% so it is more expensive than I am used to but it is a local credit card and the convenience was worth it. I used it once in a while and liked it. I paid it off most months so the interest charge was not a problem and the 3000 peso annual fee was something I accepted for the privilege of using the card.

A year and a half ago we moved (yes I notified bank and cc company about change of address.) Then about a year ago I used the card in Hong Kong. It is quite useful when things are going smoothly. This is where I first noticed the problem. Their comminication system is horrendous!!! It is not possible to call the credit card company or their service department from a cell phone. Quite impossilbe. There is a number to call from a landline but it is not available to cell phones. So I emailed. They actually answered. I was impressed. The female who replied answered my questions and told me there was no need to phone. She wrote that I could always get my replies via email. Wonderful, but total bullshit.

6 months ago the communication problem became a disaster. RCBC Bankard sent a credit card to my live in partner. She has no job, no income, no money other than what I give her. They got her name, (I assume), because I opened a savings account for her that she later withdrew all the money from, They found her in a very small barangay in the smallest province in rural Philippines and delivered the card by LBC courier. Who ya gonna call? I told her to destroy the card and don't use it as she had never asked for the card and had no money to pay it. (Which she did.)

The next month my card quit working. I contacted them by email and they explained: I qualified for an even better card with an even higher limit and it was on the way so they had cancelled my old card. But it never got to me. It seems they could not find me. Even though my live in partner lives with me and they found her, they could not find me. And of course they could not phone me (even though I gave them a cell phone number to call) and could not text me because none of the employees had load.

This went on for a while. When I emailed about it I got a stock reply that they would forward my concerns to the concerned department. Nothing was ever done. I told them to cancel my card. It was no longer convenient for me. Again they will forward my concern to the concerned department.

Today is the final straw. We got a bill for my partner's account. They managed to find us for that. They are charging her 1500 for an annual fee for her card which she never asked for, wanted, nor used. I give up. These guys are lunatics. I will now have to cancel my RCBC Savings Bank account because I fully suspect these guys will just go into my account and take whatever money they think I owe them.

Some may ask why I don't just get a landline and call them. I have moved 5 times in 5 years and just don't want one. That plus I am hard of hearing so phone calls to me are an exercise in frustration. I am actually quite happy that people here prefer to text.

Its more fun in the Philippines.

• Like 1
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A_Simple_Man

• Lee

• Jason S

• Mr.T

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You can get a PLDT sim card to use in a cell phone and that works as a landline as well as a cell, of course that will not help your hearing situation unless you get one of the phones that has a lot o

It's not only RCBC that has questionable banking policies when it comes to credit cards ...   My wife has a peso account at BDO. They sent her a credit card that had an annual fee associated with it

Just pay cash.   I have an account at HSBC and a few years ago one of the girls there offered a VISA card to my wife, no fee she said and nothing to worry about. It has been a nightmare since, they

Just pay cash.

I have an account at HSBC and a few years ago one of the girls there offered a VISA card to my wife, no fee she said and nothing to worry about. It has been a nightmare since, they (HSBC) were not able to set up online banking for the card, I am not authorized, the card is not working anymore (because once we paid late because the statement they sent us never reached us), on and on. One thing they are always good at is to charge you the yearly fee and all other fees they can get. Last time I went there and told them to credit me all the BS charges or they will never see me again. All off a sudden they understood me.

Last story with HSBC is that I needed a statement from a year back. Same story, they charge you 100 or 200 pesos, sent it by mail and you never get the statement, I even asked them to sent it by FedEX and charge me, total losers and nightmare but same experience with BDO and some other banks, if you want something done and are not actually there standing in front of them - forget it.

• Like 3

You can get a PLDT sim card to use in a cell phone and that works as a landline as well as a cell, of course that will not help your hearing situation unless you get one of the phones that has a lot of volume.

Yes it is more fun in the Philippines, NOT, and some members of forums get upset when I tell it like I see it. I find those of us who have lots of time in the Philippines most often eventually will run into many situations that we have to just scratch our heads in confusion as to why it has to be that way. The Philippines is what it is, and dealing with just about anyone can at times be a problem when anything out of the norm issues come about unless you can get to know the in charge person and deal with them directly all the time. I always go see the manager of a bank we do business with and introduce myself and get their business card and make sure to say hi to them whenever we are in the bank and call them directly whenever I run into issues.

I feel for you my friend because I fully understand the frustration.

• Like 5
A_Simple_Man
Just pay cash.

I had every intention of that. But I found out it is quite convenient to use local credit cards when booking CebuPacific flights. I also found out there are frequent specials such as the air conditioned I purchased with 6 equal payments and no interest if charged to a local credit card. Last are the hotel bookings that save me paying exchange rates if I use a local card. So cash can be a poor second choice in some instances. It is, however, a better choice than what RCBC Bankard put me through.

You can get a PLDT sim card to use in a cell phone and that works as a landline as well as a cell, of course that will not help your hearing situation unless you get one of the phones that has a lot of volume.

Thanks for that. Any special place to find one in Cebu? When I am prepared to make a phone call I find a quiet place with no distractions and make the call. Its when people want to call me and I am not prepared for it that my hearing plays a part. Those who know me will often notice I am quite loud in social situations. It is a side effect of poor hearing. (Too vain and cheap to get a hearing aid I suppose)

Thanks for that. Any special place to find one in Cebu? When I am prepared to make a phone call I find a quiet place with no distractions and make the call. Its when people want to call me and I am not prepared for it that my hearing plays a part. Those who know me will often notice I am quite loud in social situations. It is a side effect of poor hearing. (Too vain and cheap to get a hearing aid I suppose)

They sell them on Sulit (HERE is one) if you cannot find it in the malls but I have found them in Robinsons on the circle upstairs and in quite a few other vendors in the malls. I know you are not in Cebu City so you may find it harder to find if not in a PLDT covered area.

A_Simple_Man
I know you are not in Cebu City so you may find it harder to find if not in a PLDT covered area.
A slight setback for me here. I know PLDT and Smart are linked so I thought it may be useable with a Smart tower but according to this user:

6. Wider coverage area - More calls to more people, to more destinations, and vice versa as long as theirs a Smart Telecom tower and signal. Sim card though can only be limited to the province where the Sim was issued.

http://gregg003.blogspot.com/2009/05/pldt-landline-plus-prepaid.html

Now I am wondering if that means you can use it anywhere but phone calls would be charged as if originating from Cebu? Or that you can only use it in the province you bought it. Hmmm. Anyone tried one?

A slight setback for me here. I know PLDT and Smart are linked so I thought it may be useable with a Smart tower but according to this user:

http://gregg003.blog...us-prepaid.html

Now I am wondering if that means you can use it anywhere but phone calls would be charged as if originating from Cebu? Or that you can only use it in the province you bought it. Hmmm. Anyone tried one?

PLDT to PLDT is free anywhere on Cebu island but I do not know about off Cebu to a line on Cebu. I know with PLDT landline or cell that we can call anywhere on Cebu with a Cebu number to a Cebu number included, but it cost us to call elsewhere in the Philippines. I also know of people who take their PLDT number in a cell with them anywhere within Cebu City but when they travel to Toledo their phone does not work, then again only my Smart works and my Sun does not work in that area either, so that would lead me to believe that it might depend on the frequency of the cell sites since Smart uses 900 mhz and 1800 mhz and the 1800 mhz which is the newer of the two might not be in province areas. :( Hopefully someone can give you a better answer but I believe the landline number is limited to be used within a range of a certain amount of miles from your home.

• Like 2

It's not only RCBC that has questionable banking policies when it comes to credit cards ...

My wife has a peso account at BDO. They sent her a credit card that had an annual fee associated with it. She never asked for this card.

The paper that came with the credit card stated that there was "no need to activate". She called her bank and stated that she did not need the card and that she wants them to cancel it.

The bank told her that if she wanted to cancel the card and not be charged the annual fee, that she needed to personally come to the bank and sign the form that would cancel the card.

Well, I went with her to the bank and gave them a piece of my mind about how I felt about there practice of sending unsolicited credit cards that required no activation by the member ... The young lady at BDO said she would bring to the attention of the bank manager my concerns and how I felt that my wife having to come to the bank to cancel the card was a waste of our time.

Would if my wife had not read the paper that came with this credit card? .... Well, she would be paying an annual fee for a card that she never even requisted and never used!

Complete Bullshit .... Very poor banking practices to say the least .... Only in the Philippines!

• Like 5
smokey

i had the same shit in the us i was using X box to stream nexflix and as i paid i keep it for the year only to have them tell me by e mail if i want to not renew i had to call a number by a time and date 6 hours from when i received the e mail and of course the line was busy and they dinged my credit card for another 60 dollar renewal fee... another i used a shuttle service to get to the airport so they e mail me do i want 10 dollars off my next use.. i say yes and they send me a 10 off coupon and a few weeks later i see on my bank statement i have by accepting the coupon have JOINED a service to receive money off coupons every week for the low sum of 19.99 a month starting last month .. frigging rip everywhere you go

Edited by smokey
  • Like 1

I wonder of all the shady banking practices that go on in the Philippines, happened in the United States, England and other major countries when the banking system was coming online there. hmmmmmmmm

Headshot

With most credit cards in the US, it's pretty easy to disallow a charge like that just by disputing the charge as not authorized. Those trying to ding your account can't come up with a signature where you authorized the charge, since you didn't authorize it, so they are never paid. They are counting on you not seeing the charge until it's too late to reverse the charge. Review your accounts periodically, and make sure that there is no funny business taking place.

A_Simple_Man
I wonder of all the shady banking practices that go on in the Philippines, happened in the United States, England and other major countries when the banking system was coming online there.

Yes, and thats why I know the drill. In about 1980 I banked with Bank of Montreal in Canada and they issued me a MasterCard. When I had a dispute over a charge and they disagreed with me, they went right to my bank account and took out what they thought I owed them. Their attitude at that time was: If you don't like it sue us.

Thus I know I need to get any and all money out of the bank that sponsors the Visa card charging my wife the annual fee (mentioned in OP) The only way I know to get this to stop is to educate other customers to be concerned so that the credit card companys with shoddy practices get hurt financially.

With most credit cards in the US, it's pretty easy to disallow a charge like that just by disputing the charge as not authorized.

As I just wrote, it is not always the case. Another example I had was a newspaper subscription in about 1990. I thought the auto renew option was great but after 6 months I changed my mind. The Visa credit card company had all the sympathy in the world but continued to charge my account every renewal because the newspaper kept putting through a debit and they were a bigger customer than I was. I had to change my credit card number to solve that. In each of these instances there was at least someone to talk to find find the problem and discuss solutions. Not here in Phillipines. At least not in the situation given in the OP.

johnboy999

Just get a debit card

I think you're missing the point of some of the posts here - some people are being sent credit cards without their consent and without asking for them, and being charged an annual fee for the privilege! Do try to keep up, please! lol

• Like 1

I believe that the difference between the Philippines and the US and probably other countries is actual customer service. When I have an issue in the US I call and get something done to solve the problem, as we all know in the Philippines it might take an act of God to get some things done and when they tell you yes they most often do not mean yes, so I have found that I always need it in writing.

Even with companies like PLDT they all too often do not do what they tell you on the phone they will do. I had a women from PLDT call us up earlier this year to tell us that they were upgrading our dsl speed free, I should have said no because the speed was doing all I needed when it was not going offline but she caught me when I was not thinking clearly which unfortunately happens too often :( well she also told me that nationwide calling would be free, well the dsl speed went up but did not work as well since it would no longer support my magic jack and when my wife was going to make a call to Manila a week later I told her to call PLDT first to verify we had the year of free nationwide calling we had been told we had, well she found out we did not and the women had forgot to add it. It took me months to get my dsl back to working correctly. It is more fun in the Philippines, NOT!!!!

For now I have no banking complaints with any of the banks I have done business with but I have not done business with those banks mentioned.

Edited by Mr. Lee