A Pleasant Experience At Philippine Immigration - 13A Visa

smokey

It allows you to stay in the Philippines, without having to pay for visa extensions every two months. You pay one time per year, to continue staying in country. And, the fees are less than Php 400, total, each year.

If, for any reason, you end up divorced, or, God forbid, your spouse passes away, you can still retain your 13(a) status and continue living in the Philippines.

Where you actually are penalized for having a 13(a) visa, is if you wish to leave the country. It costs you more to do so, I believe, than under any other visa. (Please confirm this, but I believe I am correct.)

and every 5 years you need to get a new card or renewed please remit 50 US

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Monsoon

• spooks

• mpt1947

• enoonmai

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I recently posted a question about the 13A process on behalf of a friend of mine. After watching him bungle around and trip over himself for a few weeks I said to myself, "What the heck, I think I'll

Correct. That is really the only caveat of the visa in my opinion. You pay the same travel tax as Filipino citizens do. And that is really the only reason I didn't get one sooner. Kind of a principles

Haha. heck I didn't even have to kiss any ass to get anything done there! I almost felt like I was maybe on the TV Show 'Punked' and at any moment they were going to come running out and say, "Gotcha!

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Thanks for the info. I had my interview Thurs in Cebu and had been told they take your passport at the interview and send it to Manila. They didn't so I figured it didn't go so well. She said I could get the fingerprints done "if I wanted" but the big guy downstairs said he wasn't sure if they were doing fingerprints so I took the forms and left. Confused.

Strange. I'm not sure about any differences in dealing with the Cebu office. Maybe someone who recently has can provide better info for you. Did they give you any indication or tell you to come back? Maybe their biometrics system was down? There was a piece of paper that we all signed (I think it said something about certifying that we all attended a hearing??). We signed this as soon as we got into his office. He asked me what I do for work, told me the visa is at the discretion of my wife and then we just had the friendly chat. He concluded by telling me to just check the website periodically and once I see my name listed I can come back to get my passport stamped and pick up my ACR card. The girl processing the ACR cards downstairs told me the same thing.

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

and every 5 years you need to get a new card or renewed please remit 50 US

No complaints from me on that one since it costs more than $50 every time you update a tourist visa, especially in my case because in the 7 years I've been 'living' here the only time I remember updating a tourist visa before it was run out was the extension I had to do when applying for this visa. And the ACR cards they make tourists get after extended stays are only good for a year.

Not to mention they don't have their hand out wanting me to pay income tax here like some countries I know...

Edited by Monsoon

Anyone here manage to get the 13b visa? I only know one guy here that has one.. From memory only around 50 per country per year can qualify.

Stranded Shipscook

No complaints from me on that one since it costs more than $50 every time you update a tourist visa, especially in my case because in the 7 years I've been 'living' here the only time I rememb

er updating a tourist visa before it was run out was the extension I had to do when applying for this visa. And the ACR cards they make tourists get after extended stays are only good for a year.

Not to mention they don't have their hand out wanting me to pay income tax here like some countries I know...

Here are some other infos ( if they haven't changed, but i doubt that )

Travel Tax you only pay ONCE per calendar year. Keep the receipt !

Re-Entry permit is included in the I-Card. All you need is your I-card and off you go at the Airport. But not the re-entry fee

(I call it "visa" here now)

It may be feasable to purchase a multiple exit "visa" for you (~3000) , otherwise you pay every time you leave the Philippines(~ 2200). ASK for it !

The multiple costs a bit more, but you can travel as often as you like.

Hope that helps

Stranded Shipscook

Anyone here manage to get the 13b visa? I only know one guy here that has one.. From memory only around 50 per country per year can qualify.

U mean Quota - Chinese..one can't apply. They are granted.

Edited by Stranded Shipscook
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

The 13B visa is for children born to immigrant visa holders while abroad. This would apply to lets say a quota visa holding woman who gives birth to a child outside of the Philippines. That child can obtain permanent residency as well. I know a few female immigrant visa holders (quota) who are not married to Filipinos. They havn't had children so I don't know anyone who has gone through the process. Conversly, if such a quota visa holder gave birth while in the Philippines that child could eventually obtain Filipino citizenship.

The 50 per country you mention is what is known as the "quota visa". This is a Sec 13 visa (no letter).

• 3 weeks later...
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Well it seems the 'good ole' inefficiencies of dealing with governmental agencies shows its ugly head a bit at the end of this 13A visa process. Dropped by for implementation of my visa. One would expect a rather quick and simple process of stamping a passport and picking up an I-Card. Keep in mind that everything was already PAID for a month ago, and the commissioner himself along with 2 associate commissioners signed the order granting the visa about 2 weeks ago. Nonetheless it is a 6 hour process to get your passport stamped. You don't have to wait there, you can drop it off and come back the next day if you like. The I-CARD is not available for another '5 - 10 working days' and "Please call one of these two numbers to make sure its ready before you come." Hopefully they can streamline the end process a bit for future applicants. Overall still a relatively easy process, and overall time actually on-site at immigration was very bearable. Perhaps I got lucky as I did see some foreigners exhibiting a bit of frustration. Didn't see nearly as many clowns about as I did on my first visit. Funny enough I sat next to and chatted with a Filipino who elected to not become a Filipino again, and was picking up his 13 series visa as well.

Re-Entry permit is included in the I-Card. All you need is your I-card and off you go at the Airport. But not the re-entry fee

(I call it "visa" here now)

It may be feasable to purchase a multiple exit "visa" for you (~3000) , otherwise you pay every time you leave the Philippines(~ 2200). ASK for it !

The multiple costs a bit more, but you can travel as often as you like.

Hope that helps

G ty for this I am going in on the 2nd for annual renewal and to get clearance for a business trip etc the thing i find confusing is this exit and entry fee. I get the feeling there is no exit fee it is the travel tax and that there is a re entry fee paid at the point of exit not re entry lol...just in case you do not come back they get the fees anyway. I get the feeling you pay a fee to leave and a fee to come back all at the same time and this is in addition to the exit tax which is paid annualy then again>>>>>> :db: this is an education how the truly simple like me can get a complex over a simplex :notallthere: Edited by spooks
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

How did you find out the initial part was done - this site? http://immigration.g...=707&Itemid=128

Yes you can check for your name on the immigration website under 'list of BI acted applications". They seem to post a new batch about every week. When you file your application your receipt will give you a hearing date and a "Tentative Implementation Date". Surprisingly mine was approved before the tentative implementation date. Mine was approved about 2 weeks after the hearing.

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Where do you get this information from? Its simply not true.
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

I forgot to mention the other silly thing at the implementation phase. I presented my passport and receipt and the first thing she checked was my current visa which was current for another couple weeks. She then asked to see the receipt for that visa extension. I asked her why, she said, "To be sure that its real." How idiotic. I had to get that visa extension in order to apply for the 13A to begin with. What happened to their new high tech computer that is supposed to catch fraudulent visa stamps? THe OR is also written in your passport. Anyway I had the silly receipt in my trusty folder. Otherwise who knows what nonsense they would have asked me to do. So, as always here, keep all receipts. The country is obsessed with receipts. They want to have the stupid receipt you get with any Philippine issued documents such as your wife's birth certificate and your marriage certificate. I thought the whole point of getting an original NSO document on NSO security paper was so that it could be easily authenticated?!? Nope, attach the receipt too, that is how its authenticated.

Edited by Monsoon
Thelandofku-an

I forgot to mention the other silly thing at the implementation phase. I presented my passport and receipt and the first thing she checked was my current visa which was current for another couple weeks. She then asked to see the receipt for that visa extension. I asked her why, she said, "To be sure that its real." How idiotic. I had to get that visa extension in order to apply for the 13A to begin with. What happened to their new high tech computer that is supposed to catch fraudulent visa stamps? THe OR is also written in your passport. Anyway I had the silly receipt in my trusty folder. Otherwise who knows what nonsense they would have asked me to do. So, as always here, keep all receipts. The country is obsessed with receipts. They want to have the stupid receipt you get with any Philippine issued documents such as your wife's birth certificate and your marriage certificate. I thought the whole point of getting an original NSO document on NSO security paper was so that it could be easily authenticated?!? Nope, attach the receipt too, that is how its authenticated.

I have a 13A, from personal experience I have had to show the last 6 years annual report receipts that were actually issued by the very office that demands to see them (maybe they don't have copies?).

I renewed for the first time last year in Manila and did not have to produce anything except my I-Card. I brought everything else and will do so again next week