Sign in to follow this  
Jester

Angle grinder, cheap china junk

Jester

Spent better part of day looking for cheap 4" angle grinder for one time use. Looked in Naval and Ormac. They have quality ones 3000P and up but want throw away China type. Any ideas where to check? Whiner

Davaoeno

Chinatown is the best place to look

• Like 1

Tinbum

Your profile gives your location as Ft Meyers but you're quoting prices in PHP. I'm confused. Not that thats too hard!!

However, if you are anywhere near Talisay, ive got two 4" or three 9" you could BORROW.

SkyMan

Your profile gives your location as Ft Meyers but you're quoting prices in PHP. I'm confused. Not that thats too hard!!

However, if you are anywhere near Talisay, ive got two 4" or three 9" you could BORROW.

If not a very big job a local machine shop would do whatever for a few pesos. If necessary, bring the guy to your residence. Never buy for short term use here.
  • Like 1

KID

You can find this CHEAP product--All over the U.S. :banghead:

A_Simple_Man

Text me and you can borrow mine.

Canuck Joe

I bought a cheap china one and it shook itself apart after only 5hrs, complete waste of money.

RogerDat

Greetings! A cheap China modle is labled as German in carbon Market area. A good China modle is Maxsell for the same price in Cebu Home and Builders.

Good advice to just get someone who has one to do the job for you and pay them. Lots of people on this and many other forums wil not tell you where they live, then complain when they get advice about stores in another country, like the Aussie looking for car door in Australia, but got advice for parts shops in Cebu. We are not mind readers.

Edited by RogerDat

Jester

Many thanks for the responses and offers of help. I did mention that I had looked in Ormac and Naval, some might assume I am in that area? All input is appreciated as I may have to bide my time and look in Carbon when I go that way!

I need to remove some tile and only have a few repacements so need it done right first time. Old saying if you want anything done right do it your self!!

No I am not infering that Philipino's are not capable of doing it right, I am saying I do not know the right craftsman and do not want to take a chance. Whiner

Edited by whiner

throttleplate

the pinoys walking around carrying blue colored Makita hand drills and such,are these real makita,they got the stickers on em but other than that is it a fake?The other day a hawker wanted to sell me a drill and for shits i looked at it while drinking a beer and it was 1/2 drive corded drill and he wanted 2000php for it,i would think a real makita man would know if it was a fake,maybe have to open it up and inspect the brushes and communtator and bearings to tell if its fake or not.

Tinbum

Being the owner of "several" genuine Makita powertools, both cordless and 240V,the easiest PROBABLE ways to ascertain genuine or fake are multifold.

If you are a regular user, it will "feel" right, it will be weighty, robust. It will fit your hand well. Makita change mechanisms aren't clunky, they are smooth such as a 3 speed gearbox. The sticker you mention should have a foil stripe. On this stripe will be "embossed" year of manufacture and machine serial number.

Opening it up will tell you Zilch, nothing. The brushes, commutator and bearings have no markings on them what-so-ever. They are not stamped "Genuine Makita, so buy me please"

Much like i posted in a topic on buying second hand cars, you pay your money, knowing nothing about the seller or his goods, so be prepared for the consequences, be they good or bad!

I hope this helps.

A_Simple_Man
is it a fake?

Couldn't say for sure but its how I got my Makita angle grinder and it looks good, runs good and I got him down to 1000 from the 2000 he was asking

throttleplate
The sticker you mention should have a foil stripe. On this stripe will be "embossed" year of manufacture and machine serial number.

The sticker now that you mention it and i know what you are talking about being embossed didnt have any thing on it other then the trade name makita and made in japan.

Jester

Very generous forum member loaned me "Makita" angle grinder. Looks exactly like cheap China junk ones I have at home that were bought from Harbor Frieght! So is HF selling unlabeled Makita? Does Makita make low end for cheap people? Or do industrious Philippinos, buy angle grinders at HF ship them to PI's and lable them Makita? Your call. Whiner

Jester

the pinoys walking around carrying blue colored Makita hand drills and such,are these real makita,they got the stickers on em but other than that is it a fake?The other day a hawker wanted to sell me a drill and for shits i looked at it while drinking a beer and it was 1/2 drive corded drill and he wanted 2000php for it,i would think a real makita man would know if it was a fake,maybe have to open it up and inspect the brushes and communtator and bearings to tell if its fake or not.

Are you sure it was really beer? Could be something else in beer bottle, People here are extremely good at faking things : )