Sign in to follow this  
Stranded Shipscook

Birth stories, Hospital or not ?

Where were your children born, tick multiple if you have to  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Where were your children born in the Philippines ( not abroad )

• at home with a midwife
    • in a birthing center
    • in a government hospital ( pls share experience )
    • in a private hospital (pls share experience )
    • normal
    • C-section
    • other (pls share)

Stranded Shipscook

I am curios where members wife's ( or members if female) have given birth to their children in Cebu.

If you like, share your stories also.

Anything is of interest.

A_Simple_Man

I was happy with the professional manner, the courtesy, and the price when our baby was delivered in a provincial hospital in the small city of Naval. It was a normal delivery but having the facilities for C S or other complication that may arrive made me feel better using the hospital rather than a birthing center. Its a 3 day hospital stay for a normal delivery and the cost for doctor, meds, and private room was just under 20K pesos. BUT I am convinced that a big reason for that was that we had a good doc who carried a lot of weight in that hospital and is a shirt tail relation to my wife. Otherwise there would have been no private room available and the fees may have been higher.

The only complication was a positive test on the newborn screening that will require confirmation at a larger center but if still positive then it is a genetic thing and not related to the hospital or the delivery.

USMC-Retired

I have done both a birthing center and a private hospital. Birthing Centers are great for affordability. Our first son was born there and no complications. Yet they lack the experience of a Doctor. This ended up costing me as wife became ill with our second child. Something an OBGYN would have caught. Our second child was born at Visyan Community Medical Center. It is a second tier private hospital yet has all the facilities of a first tier hospital. We had a private room and first rate OBGYN. We also had a pediatrician check on the child after birth.

Cost diffrence is significant.

Birthing Center was around 11000 pesos

Private hospital was around 45,000 pesos

Both had private rooms.

Paul

When Vivian had little Quinn, she did so at the Margarita Birthing Center, in Cebu City. The total cost was Php 10,000, I believe, all up. That was for a one week stay for her and the baby. The main reason they stayed that long was due to Quinn having to take some antibiotics during that time.

He's growing like a little weed, and will be one year old on Christmas Day.

I fully support having a baby at Margarita Birthing Center.

Paul

Here is a map to Margarita Birthing Center, in Cebu City. I got it from their Facebook page:

Map_To_Margarita_birthing_Center_Cebu City_Philippines.jpg

broden

are you hearing your biological clock ticking again? guenther

• Like 1

Jim Sibbick

I have no personal experience with a baby born in the Philippines but I have from friends and relatives.

For Filipinos, in my experience, the more money you have the better quality place you will seek to have your babies.

So for Palompon Leyte. 5 hours boat ride from Cebu City 3 times a week and a bit over an hour van ride to Ormoc City or 2 to 3 hours by jeepney to Ormoc City.

- If you have no money, the baby is born at the Palompon Hospital, which has very limited facilites or if you are too far from the hospital, the baby will be born at home. There will likely be no pre natal care.

- The better off families will go to the private hospital in Ormoc City for birth and pre natal

- If money is not an issue, they will travel to Cebu City to a hospital like Chong Hua for birth and pre natal. Or if it is a bit of an issue, have the baby and be gone as soon as possible to keep the bill down to a manageable level.

My horror story to share is of being at home at the ex wife's family. About 10 kilometres from the Palompon Hospital. A lady had given birth in the village of Santiago which is 3 kilometres further away from the hospital. It is a village where no one had need of a car as there was no car access to the village at the time. There was no electricity in the village at the time either. She was bleeding. They had carried her 3 kilometres to our house as we were the nearest place with a car. The lady was conscious and able to ask us herself for the use of the car. Unfortunately, my father in law was away with the car so they waited for the next jeepney going into town coming from Ormoc City. One did come along within about 10 minutes but she died on the jeepney on the way into town.

A_Simple_Man
money is not an issue, they will travel to Cebu City to a hospital like Chong Hua for birth and pre natal

This surprises me. My wife was not allowed on a plane or ferry after 7 months of pregnancy and was told no filipina is allowed to do so, so how do they get to Cebu?

Jim Sibbick

This surprises me. My wife was not allowed on a plane or ferry after 7 months of pregnancy and was told no filipina is allowed to do so, so how do they get to Cebu?

I can understand no plane.

Why no ship?

Did they tell you in Naval you couldn't travel on a boat or was it some where else in the Philippines?

Anyway,

- no one has told me it is an issue

- from Palompon, you do not go through any real checks. They just make sure you have paid your terminal fee. One of the Cokaliong boats even has a lift (elevator) for disabled passengers.

- we are talking about people with money here and money talks!

A_Simple_Man
Did they tell you in Naval you couldn't travel on a boat or was it some where else in the Philippines?

Naval (Roble) and Ormoc/Cebu (SuperCat and SuperFerries)

Wonder if anyone else has noticed that as even her doctor told her she would not be allowed to travel on boat or plane after the 6th month. We did it at 5 months and 29 days and almost did not get on. Dona insisted on saying she was 6 months even after I repeatedly urged her that the truth is 5 months and 29 days so they were getting all official and saying not without a doctor's certificate and not at all after the 7th month. I think they don't want to do deliveries on the boat.

USMC-Retired

When Vivian had little Quinn, she did so at the Margarita Birthing Center, in Cebu City. The total cost was Php 10,000, I believe, all up. That was for a one week stay for her and the baby. The main reason they stayed that long was due to Quinn having to take some antibiotics during that time.

He's growing like a little weed, and will be one year old on Christmas Day.

I fully support having a baby at Margarita Birthing Center.

I do also. However let me say this. If you are going to have a baby at a birth center do your prenatal check ups with an OBGYN. The cost is very low at about 500 pesos per visit. If we had done that instead of trusting the birthing center alone. We would have avoid additional costs. The Birthing Center offers well visits and pre natal care. Which is wonderful but if you can afford it do not do that only. They are not trained doctors and have one specialty.

Chris stokes

My son was born in Chong Hua in 2009.

I had got permission to be in the birthing room (you have to jump through a few hoops, even get the hospital directors permission)

After 30 hours of normal labour there were worries about the baby so a CS was done.

If you attend a birth there it is only the actual birthing room you are allowed into. The Mums to be all go through their contractions and tests in a ward together, its not like the west where you get a private room, not realy the place for a bloke i think you would be trying to look away all the time.

Can't remember the exact figures now. the bill was about P100K got a P30K refund from Philhealth.

Looking at the survey figures i can see that 50% are CS. Seems excessive,

Stranded Shipscook

I have heard that often now, that Doctors at Chong Hua like to do CS.

Two reliable people (which denied the Operation vehemently after consultingwith their OB ) told me also that they reason with the argument that "foreign babies" are bigger" which is of course a complete nonsense and made a befriended OB and surgeon laugh heartily.

Both births went normal ( but only after some "labour push" meds were given, which is normally also standard )

Maybe it's meant the wallet of the foreigner is bigger. Sorry for that unusual comment of me, but I just parrot what i was told.

broden

I have heard that often now, that Doctors at Chong Hua like to do CS.

Two reliable people (which denied the Operation vehemently after consultingwith their OB ) told me also that they reason with the argument that "foreign babies" are bigger" which is of course a complete nonsense and made a befriended OB and surgeon laugh heartily.

Both births went normal ( but only after some "labour push" meds were given, which is normally also standard )

Maybe it's meant the wallet of the foreigner is bigger. Sorry for that unusual comment of me, but I just parrot what i was told.

maybe they want to do the cesarean just cause they don't like to, you know, look down there

• Like 1

Paul

Often, that has been the case. That is, a C-Section would be performed, before they even knew if the woman would need one. This is due to the fact that they do believe babies with foreign genes will be larger at birth.

Dark Ages mentalities...