Filipino Landlords and Renting as a young single expat.

The exact same thing happened to me, she was in her 60s or something. Horrible woman, even my friend who came to visit me said the same thing, he said he never wanted to visit me again.

When I went to Bohol for the weekend she said something like "You can't just go to Bohol like that??" and I was like, huh? Can't I do what I want? I've travelled all around the world alone by myself to arrive here in your house and to be ruled by you? That's when she forced me to hand over my keys while I went to Bohol. I felt very uncomfortable with that.

• Like 1
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• buzbyu

• Mr.T

• smokey

• Headshot

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I cant believe it took me 64 posts to figure out the problem !! Maybe she wouldnt pay so much attention to you if you didnt wear a dress ??

Yeah, a beard and a dress is never a good combination.

most of what I have to say would prolly get u evicted, I'll just address your main problem then.   She is a minor control freak and you need to get out from under her spell so to speak, in a way tha

Posted Images

smokey

I suppose you could always use the elevator... :cool:

i dont want to wake the baby.... anyway what ever tim is doing way down there is tims business.

• Like 1

So you're in your late 20's now I assume. I never can find you guys here in Cebu. Where the hell do you all stay or go during the day or nite? We're not discrete when my lady and me are together. Sometimes we're loud and neighbors know it. So far no issues so that's not her problem. It's like I'll burn her house down or trash it. Or I'll bring over drug addicts and criminals or something. Or cause I don't have mom/dad to straighten me out or save my arse...she has to Pre-emptively do it everyday.

Slowly she's backing away and finding out it's causing her undue stress over matters that will never occur.

Its a great location. I just wana be left alone. My neighbors are good too.

Most of the younger people in Cebu live in posh subdivisions with pools or in luxury high rise condos, they spend their days there. A world of difference with the older crowd who tend to usually live in "budget" places or where the 25P beer promos are in the mall.

smokey

77 year old from a rich "Calderon" family with no kids never married. This a factor at all?

Calderon family name ?? hummm could be related to the x head of the PNP that is an old Spanish name ..

smokey

Most of the younger people in Cebu live in posh subdivisions with pools or in luxury high rise condos, they spend their days there. A world of difference with the older crowd who tend to usually live in "budget" places or where the 25P beer promos are in the mall.

dude you have that as we say in the usa ass backwards

USMC-Retired

You are 50+ years old and white. You automatically gain respect and seniority over them.

Well I am not and have done ok.

Sounds like your landlord wants a littlePP :)

For some reason older Filipinos think that if you have short hair,Beard or tattoos that you are a prison thug

• Like 1

The exact same thing happened to me, she was in her 60s or something. Horrible woman, even my friend who came to visit me said the same thing, he said he never wanted to visit me again.

When I went to Bohol for the weekend she said something like "You can't just go to Bohol like that??" and I was like, huh? Can't I do what I want? I've travelled all around the world alone by myself to arrive here in your house and to be ruled by you? That's when she forced me to hand over my keys while I went to Bohol. I felt very uncomfortable with that.

How old are you? It seems age is a factor in this...if you're in your 20's and they're 60+. I've had this with 2 landlords also. It's like these people love drama and need to create shit to feel important. i've heard it's the same in Central and South America.

I have a gated compounded with a guard and politicians and rich businessmen live here. It's odd I'm 25 no family and have a new 2 bedroom to myself alone. With alot of shit in it.

She has mentioned I have a lot of nice things. Kitchen Table, Fridge, TV, Bed etc..... and my place is very clean always. At least she looks positive there.

I have a pretty decent place.

Sounds like your landlord wants a littlePP :)

For some reason older Filipinos think that if you have short hair,Beard or tattoos that you are a prison thug

I had short hair military cut and a huge beard. I'm also Asian. Maybe that did it. I need to be prepped clean and dressed like a lawyer everyday. I walk around in flip flops and shorts tshirt.

YEP i think the beard set it off.........."Drug Addict".."Rapist"...."Murderer"..."Drug Dealer".."Thief"..."Gang Leader".

Everyone says it looks bad here. I shaved every day for 3 years straight. I want to grow it out now. ^_^

Edited by buzbyu

How old are you? It seems age is a factor in this...if you're in your 20's and they're 60+. I've had this with 2 landlords also. It's like these people love drama and need to create shit to feel important. i've heard it's the same in Central and South America.

That's exactly it, they want to show that they have some kind of power over you and that they can do what they want. Even my mother never threated me that way, I can basicly do whatever I want since i'm 16, but in the Philippines I meet young women who are 28 years old and who are still being ruled by their parents, can't go out when they want etc...

Same like in the early 20th century in Europe.

I have a gated compounded with a guard and politicians and rich businessmen live here. It's odd I'm 25 no family and have a new 2 bedroom to myself alone. With alot of shit in it.

She has mentioned I have a lot of nice things. Kitchen Table, Fridge, TV, Bed etc..... and my place is very clean always. At least she looks positive there.

I have a pretty decent place.

Well, if you pay 10k I would consider that budget. Most of the younger foreigners i've met in Cebu spend way more than that, I was surprised. Not all of course, my budget is less than 20k a month, but theres quite a few i've met who spend double on rent here, a waste of money in my opinion, i'd say 80% of the young foreigners i've met in Cebu pay around 40k per month and more.

Edited by Mr.T

dude you have that as we say in the usa arse backwards

The younger people don't live in Maria Luisa by themselves and Lofts in Persimmon. It's the older prominent ones that own that shit and business dealers in Cebu. The younger as well as most of the older population live in less desirable places. If the youngers live in a nice place or a 4 bedroom house somwhere...i guarantee it's filled with 20 residents each paying 2000 a month.

Theres young foreigners living in Maria Luisa who rent 150,000 peso villas, they share the rent by 4 or something, plus utilities, they pay around 40,000 pesos each, including driver and housemaid and foods etc. I know this as a fact, not a guess. Theres quite a few big expensive houses that are being shared like that.

I know young foreigners who rent condos by them selves also, paying around 40,000 per month.

Theres also foreigners who live on a smaller budget, like me, of course.

Edited by Mr.T

Well, if you pay 10k I would consider that budget. Most of the younger foreigners i've met in Cebu spend way more than that, I was surprised. Not all of course, my budget is less than 20k a month, but theres quite a few i've met who spend double on rent here, a waste of money in my opinion, i'd say 80% of the young foreigners i've met in Cebu pay around 40k per month and more.

I pay 10k for a 2 bedroom. I tried to rent the other room but pulled it. The landlady had issues with that and I told her I'm looking for a college student like me that needs a pad or something. I don't have 20k-40k to spend on renting a place. I've also found just cause it's more expensive doesn't mean it'll be a better place or a good landlord/lady. Sometimes more problems as they want money and want control/power.

I've seen renting a townhouse by yourself or a house completely is the best idea. Mine is more like a single story townhouse two bedroom. Yeah some pay 20k for a 1 bedroom in Winland Towers and it's a piece of Sh!t.