Filipino Landlords and Renting as a young single expat.

Headshot

too many stairs

I suppose you could always use the elevator... :cool:

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• buzbyu

• Mr.T

• smokey

• Headshot

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I cant believe it took me 64 posts to figure out the problem !! Maybe she wouldnt pay so much attention to you if you didnt wear a dress ??

Yeah, a beard and a dress is never a good combination.

most of what I have to say would prolly get u evicted, I'll just address your main problem then.   She is a minor control freak and you need to get out from under her spell so to speak, in a way tha

Posted Images

I really think she means well and is concerned about you. It is overbearing yet that is the norm for parents of children here. It is not something you want in your life. Yet I do not find her offensive I just think it is not your cup of tea. So it is either Live with it, Talk again with her, or Move.

She concerned about me yes and that concern is I"ll trash her place and bring over trouble makers or get in fights with neighbors or something. That's looking after me that I'll make trouble. That I'm a 5 year brat. I'm not a child I'm in my late 20's and in college for the 2nd undergrad. She knows I have children of my own even just not with me at the moment while I study here. I know it's the norm and it's not offensive but I've had 1 aircon destroyed already. My place has brought in an infestation of ants due to her workers going in and out (who to blame only? me....) and other issues. Basically she's creating problems and the outcomes are blamed 100% on me only. She is offensive and pushing it.

My landlord lives upstairs. I never see them and honestly it is a great living arrangement. Know your landlords before you move in should be the norm. Mine stay out of my life and actually I do not remember the last time they came down here to even check the place out.

You are 50+ years old and white. You automatically gain respect and seniority over them.

Never, ever rent where the landlord is your next door neighbor or living near you. Even when they mean well or just being kind, it will feel to you that they are being obtrusive, always keeping an eye on you and watching your every move. Your landlord will make be batty and will make me bonkers. For your sanity and peace of mind, move out and move on. :)

She isn't my neighbor or in the same building. Just on the same compound. Calderon if anyone knows. I don't get why Filipinos are like this to young foreigners in Cebu? Even after some of us show we're not a problem they still target us cause we're alone or something. Like they need the drama or crap.

tell her politely that you will move out if the "control" over your live persists. If nothing changes then, move on.

I never had that problem and i have several lanladies/lords,most of them elder people renting out their main buildings.

But i can imagine it...

It happens. If you're 50+, White and such you're safe. Seniority and the Skin helps.

You are 50+ years old and white. You automatically gain respect and seniority over them.

I'm not much older than you and everyone here guesses my age at late 20's. Been here 6 years and not once been disrespected by filipino's (that I have noticed) and have been very lucky with the land owners I have rented from.

Just throwing out ideas as to why she does this: Do you have tattoos? Some people will look down on you for having them or will assume you are trouble.

My landlord lives upstairs. I never see them and honestly it is a great living arrangement. Know your landlords before you move in should be the norm. Mine stay out of my life and actually I do not remember the last time they came down here to even check the place out.

tim are you trying to get some gold stars or a rent rebate saying all these nice things about him lol
  • Like 1

I'm not much older than you and everyone here guesses my age at late 20's. Been here 6 years and not once been disrespected by filipino's (that I have noticed) and have been very lucky with the land owners I have rented from.

Just throwing out ideas as to why she does this: Do you have tattoos? Some people will look down on you for having them or will assume you are trouble.

shusss you,ll have MR T having a go at you now over tatoos hahaha

Never, ever rent where the landlord is your next door neighbor or living near you. Even when they mean well or just being kind, it will feel to you that they are being obtrusive, always keeping an eye on you and watching your every move. Your landlord will make be batty and will make me bonkers. For your sanity and peace of mind, move out and move on. :)

well I have to dissagree with you on living with landlord as I rent out rooms at my place in uk and they all said they prefer me living there as everyone behaves themselves lol

I used to rent a room in Cebu in my early 20s, in 2009, and the landlord, a woman, from who I was renting a room in a house that she built only to rent out, was not nice at all to me. I left without saying goodbye. She was talking about how her sons had been all around the world but how low profile they were compared to me, and I was thinking, what did I do wrong here? I haven't said anything, nothing, that was when I just moved in a few hours before.

She also said another American had rented the room before and he used to have "sex" in it, with a girl. I said, wow, okay, and she said, I don't want you to have sex in this room! I felt like I just wanted to leave. I ended up staying longer and having "sex" very discreetly.

• Like 1
Headshot

T...you were just being you. Some people just haven't taken the Dale Carnegie course, I guess

No tattoos. And I'm not white either. She's in her 70's. I don't think it's my race either specific. It's the age gap and no parents around. I've noticed the half breeds are locked in their parent's houses and won't let them live outside as afraid what will happen to them. I can see their parent's fears now.

T...you were just being you. Some people just haven't taken the Dale Carnegie course, I guess

How to win friends and influence people?

I've read that many times. Along with other stuff.

I used to rent a room in Cebu in my early 20s, in 2009, and the landlord, a woman, from who I was renting a room in a house that she built only to rent out, was not nice at all to me. I left without saying goodbye. She was talking about how her sons had been all around the world but how low profile they were compared to me, and I was thinking, what did I do wrong here? I haven't said anything, nothing, that was when I just moved in a few hours before.

She also said another American had rented the room before and he used to have "sex" in it, with a girl. I said, wow, okay, and she said, I don't want you to have sex in this room! I felt like I just wanted to leave. I ended up staying longer and having "sex" very discreetly.

So you're in your late 20's now I assume. I never can find you guys here in Cebu. Where the hell do you all stay or go during the day or nite? We're not discrete when my lady and me are together. Sometimes we're loud and neighbors know it. So far no issues so that's not her problem. It's like I'll burn her house down or trash it. Or I'll bring over drug addicts and criminals or something. Or cause I don't have mom/dad to straighten me out or save my arse...she has to Pre-emptively do it everyday.

Slowly she's backing away and finding out it's causing her undue stress over matters that will never occur.

Its a great location. I just wana be left alone. My neighbors are good too.

77 year old from a rich "Calderon" family with no kids never married. This a factor at all?