Filipino Landlords and Renting as a young single expat.

Any younger expats had issues with their "old" landlords? It seems if you got a 40-50 year age gap then you're a 5 year old child to them that can't wipe their arse.

I understand their worries as most Filipinos in their early 20's aren't very responsible or reliable. Even Americans can be a nightmare. But has anyone had issues of them trying to nearly be your mother or father and refer to your neighbors as your uncle and sister and such?

I moved in about 3 months ago but had all sorts of stuff happen.

1. She constantly insists to inspect my girlfriend and why do we both have children from previous? I've kept her out of sight and she does the same with herself.

2. She has insisted I use all her workers to do this and that but they've actually ruined my Airconitioner (it won't go on high anymore) and they usually have made a mess going in and out of my place with cigarette butts on the floor and mud tracked in everywhere as well as food and ants. I've stated I will use my own people and her's are not allowed inside unless I'm present even to work on something.

3. Has been complaining how I arrange my furniture and interjected and demanded what I should do with it cause it's her property. I said I pay 10k/monthly and all this is with my money from the stores. She can do whatever with it if she wants to buy it off me.

4. She has thrown a fit when I invited people over for a birthday (12 in a 2 bedroom). We didn't do anything wrong and didn't blast music or get drunk or something. She said if something happens or my neighbors complain she'll evict me. I just ignored her.

5. I don't have a yaya and don't want one. She keeps insisting she'll get me one to do everything and it costs etc etc. I keep telling her I dont' have a need I'll do things myself.

She lastly changed the billing cycle like twice on us. We all paid when we got our income in but she gave me all the shit for being 10 days late when she demanded 3k. Not the 30 year old bankers living in couple or the 40 year old business owners next to me.

But yes to me. The 25 year old single college student with no parents or live in partner or family. It's been 3 months and she's still doing this. What gives? What the hell?

Any LINC old wisdom will be nice.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• buzbyu

• Mr.T

• smokey

• Headshot

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I cant believe it took me 64 posts to figure out the problem !! Maybe she wouldnt pay so much attention to you if you didnt wear a dress ??

Yeah, a beard and a dress is never a good combination.

most of what I have to say would prolly get u evicted, I'll just address your main problem then.   She is a minor control freak and you need to get out from under her spell so to speak, in a way tha

Posted Images

smokey

time for you to move your not loved there and the hints should be telling you a lot.. try a condo not a family place

Edited by smokey
  • Like 1
For Real

Your situation is unique because you have a landlord attempting to control you - most bad landlords are only trying to shaft you.

The landlord is of the firm stance that you owe her - a tenant is not going to change this.

The only advice i can give is to decide you are leaving and start planning this departure - it is so not worth the stress

The odds of a situational reframe are basically none

lol renting its more fun in the philippines .just bale out of there sounds like a landlady from hell .

USMC-Retired

I really think she means well and is concerned about you. It is overbearing yet that is the norm for parents of children here. It is not something you want in your life. Yet I do not find her offensive I just think it is not your cup of tea. So it is either Live with it, Talk again with her, or Move.

I'm not at all young, but one of the places I was considering a few months back was a 1br apartment downstairs from the owners. I was advised here not to take it, because the family would be likely to become involved in my life (especially if I had a woman there overnight). I followed the advice and as time has passed I've seen it as very wise.

• Like 1

Never, ever rent where the landlord is your next door neighbor or living near you. Even when they mean well or just being kind, it will feel to you that they are being obtrusive, always keeping an eye on you and watching your every move. Your landlord will make be batty and will make me bonkers. For your sanity and peace of mind, move out and move on. :)

USMC-Retired

Never, ever rent where the landlord is your next door neighbor or living near you. Even when they mean well or just being kind, it will feel to you that they are being obtrusive, always keeping an eye on you and watching your every move. Your landlord will make be batty and will make me bonkers. For your sanity and peace of mind, move out and move on. :)

My landlord lives upstairs. I never see them and honestly it is a great living arrangement. Know your landlords before you move in should be the norm. Mine stay out of my life and actually I do not remember the last time they came down here to even check the place out.

Stranded Shipscook

tell her politely that you will move out if the "control" over your live persists. If nothing changes then, move on.

I never had that problem and i have several lanladies/lords,most of them elder people renting out their main buildings.

But i can imagine it...

A_Simple_Man

Perhaps your landlady reads this forum and believes in the golden rule. She who has the gold rules. I find that many landlords/landladies figure they are the ones with the cash to buy a house and believe they are doing you a favor by letting you rent it as you obviously are not as rich as them and therefore need their guidance.

Move on. Be careful. There are others out there who also want to control everything that goes on in their house and lot. I have met quite a few of them and I am not young.

• Like 2
Davaoeno

My landlord lives upstairs. I never see them and honestly it is a great living arrangement. Know your landlords before you move in should be the norm. Mine stay out of my life and actually I do not remember the last time they came down here to even check the place out.

yes, but i understand your landlord is a nut job who bays at the moon and thinks he is a king coz he drives a fiesta !!

I also heard that he goes thru your shoes when you arent home and steals all the laces out of them !

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 1
smokey

too many stairs

• Like 2
smokey

yes, but i understand your landlord is a nut job who bays at the moon and thinks he is a king coz he drives a fiesta !!

I also heard that he goes thru your shoes when you arent home and steals all the laces out of them !

i took all the laces out of his shoes so i could give them to a friend from davao who said he needed them so he would have something to sell for rice

• Like 2
USMC-Retired

Living here who thinks you will ever need shoes. Flip Flops work good. Yet what a shocker to reach in a box after 6 months maybe much longer to find the shoes there and no laces. Then additionally to find your other pair of Flip Flops are gone also. thinks that make you say hmmmm....

Edited by USMC-Retired