Sign in to follow this  
fred42

How expats in Thailand view Cebu and P.I in general?

ozboy

nnnn by reading thru that forum im glad i dont live there!

RogerDat

Greetings! I lived in Thailand from 1972-74, and then back again in 75 till the AF pulled out.( I make funny, do you get it?)

I fell in love with everything ( except the beer, pure poison IMO, as well as most sprits) as it was my first time out of the country.

The food is more varied (if they can catch it, they will eat it), with blending of the cultures over the years.

I like the simple way the girls viewed sex, and had a lot of fun.

The housing was as good, and bad as the Philippines, barn like wood structures, but it has a varity of climate ares, from tropical to mountain. I was at Ubon, and Korat, both up on the platue. Very similair to fall in South Carolina in the cool season.

Back then there was not so much PLASTIC everywhere, and far fewer people, so less polution.

Food was cleaner in general than in Mactan. I ate what the Thais did, they mde changes to some of their cooking to meet Joe's palet with a few exceptions,(#1 fermented bamboo, smells like S--T), and came home with a good view of oriental food.

I was not religious then, but saw no profit in becoming Budist, so not much of a spritual life there.

They were very tolirant of diffrent faiths, the Budist commandments are almodst same as Christain.

The women were from poor familys, little education, so a simple conversation was all that was available. The few people I met there who were educated generaly did not asssoisate with young GI's as they had little common ground.

It was an exciting place there as they were had so many festivals, went to one where the compition was who could build the biggest rocket! And some were over 20 ft long, and two thick! AND they got off the ground, but very dangirous of course. I was never threatend by anyone in the day time, but after dark, you needed to be in safe areas as the Thai hold uppers put a knif to your throut and a hand on your wallet, and you had better not resist!

I live in the PI because when we were transfered out, I was on the team that was assinged here. I was on crutches, and it was Christmas, and I was warmly welcomed. The signs were in English, and I could understand people! It was like being back home! Christmas 1975 I had drank all night, and ended up on 7th Street in Balibago. I had P10 in my pocket. I bought me and a girl a beer, NOT a ladys drink, and ended up spending the night. Next day, i still had most of my peisos so I could get back to base. The girl was a close friend for several years, but have not seen here in so long.

I got married to my only wife in 1976 because of the fact you could have an inteligent conversation with her about most things(except a girl on the side) and I have grown to love her, and enjoy her opinionated opinions still. ( she is a nurse, so is educated).

If you are young and not ready to settle down, or are the shallow type that think only about satisfaction in the bed room, by all means, Thailand is for you, but if you want a stable family, and to raise a brood, PI is a better choice.

Cebu is to me the poorest place here because it is an industrial city, and not a comfortable climate with lush views like other islands, but it is a good supply point to live in the outter areas.

As far as the polution, most air borne is car fumes. ( get a good mask is you plan walking around in Cebu much) or stay out of the heavy travel corriodors. Plastic is the culpret in most drain related flood, and is the bad stuff you see laying around.

Many people here have a very hard time making it in the city areas, and thy are from here, so without a family to assist you like they have, you need a LOT of money when you set up house here. You do not know where anything you need is, and most likely, they will not have the brand or quility you want. Yu must comprimise on many things.

I got here in 2004, and today, it is like a diffrent city. Things are now available here due to many OFW's coming back and wanting their homeland to be like the places they have worked at. They are the ones that have built the mid east paridise, and are asking why they cant do the same thing here, and many are succeding.

Maby one day, some one of them will find a spell check that will wwork on this forum, one can only pray.

• Like 9

KID

If ya think LINC members are rude and crude

hang at the teakdoor for awhile :)

The transvestite lover who insists he is not gay is my favorite :ROFLMAO:

I think 90% or so are atheist's on the site-- religious discussions turn down right nasty in about 2 pages !!!

Edited by KID

Skywalker
It shouldn't be much of a surprise that people who choose to live in Thailand like it better than the Philippines. Presumably, if they liked the Philippines better, they would live here.

I lived in Bangkok for 8 years, had a ball. I moved to Cebu to have a quieter, calmer lifestyle. I like the people here, the language English is widely spoken. There are hundreds of islands to explore.

I am lucky, in the respect that I can live anywhere I choose, and at the moment Cebu is where I want to be. Mind you I do travel a lot, and I am currently typing this message in Wales.

ozboy

Ha ha Kid...i read their forum also....what a bunch of absolute lowlife....our dk guys wouldnt get a word in edgeways...read the 40 plus posts about the british kickboxer who killed the marine guy....lol

spooks

Good question for the ones who made up the list..... :biggrin_01:

I think they made that statement when standing on the Asian Egyptian side of the Suez canal, as opposed to the African Egyptian side where Cairo is!! Edited by spooks
  • Like 1

spooks

I think Manila never made the list as they never tried to watch the sun rise through the smog from Manila Bay.

Only the other day on the way through to CFO, a very early start and the view from a distance into Manila had the skyscarppers blotted out by a ring of black gunge. Looks like that every day.

I keep asking my asawa do you really want that in your lungs!! one day she will answer :cold:

Edited by spooks

lazydays
I think 90% or so are atheist's on the site-- religious discussions turn down right nasty in about 2 pages !!!

Maybe that's one of the reasons they don't choose the PH.

• Like 2

lazydays
Mind you I do travel a lot, and I am currently typing this message in Wales.

Where in the Philippines is that then :biggrin_01::rofl:

• Like 1

littlePP

just how many wives have you had to come to that concusion ???

article-2024150-0D5E5E4500000578-88_964x365.jpg

Warren Jeffs a lunatic?

Or pure genius? :lol:

Paul
According to the World Bank's report, 19 of the world's 20 most polluted cities are in Asia. No place in the Philippines made these list

They, obviously, did not visit Manila, prior to creating that list.

• Like 2

Canuck Joe

Someone should join that forum to show them there is more to Cebu than downtown and Carbon market.

On the other hand Cebu province is what it is, a land of extremes.

fred42

Someone should join that forum to show them there is more to Cebu than downtown and Carbon market.

On the other hand Cebu province is what it is, a land of extremes.

From one extreme to the other!!

DSC03089.jpg

IMG_3044.jpg

Edited by fred42
  • Like 1

panther

article-2024150-0D5E5E4500000578-88_964x365.jpg

Warren Jeffs a lunatic?

Or pure genius? :lol:

I watched his documentry last night a real low life scum bag no point in having all those wives now his brother will take them all for himself just like warren did to his fathers wives only in america eh !!!!

JSL-USMC

I think Manila never made the list as they never tried to watch the sun rise through the smog from Manila Bay.

Only the other day on the way through to CFO, a very early start and the view from a distance into Manila had the skyscarppers blotted out by a ring of black gunge. Looks like that every day.

I keep asking my asawa do you really want that in your lungs!! one day she will answer :cold:

That's why we have Cebu. Jesus H. Golly You can find disagreeable places in any country