66-year-old American arrested in Talisay

littlePP

Don't be coy, which is it?

KonGC

:lol:

Just avoid my "beef' stew when you visit, and you will be fine.

You make some good points, but rape is a violent crime, not sexual - where a guy usually forces himself on a woman who resists hard enough to have some defense wounds, as would the alleged rapist. They have rape kits in the USA, and they need to be used asap - most woman will become quiet and would not "collect' themselves at the hotel she was raped, but leaving quickly, feeling dirty and ashamed. The video for sure would be used for any defense, and a prosecutor would have a hard time convincing a jury, especially without any blood evidence, or signs of force. I also do not see any signs of a woman in a zombie state - or date raped with drugs going up. From the timing, if a drug was used in the room, she would not be in that state she was leaving, in that time frame.

Now, this is by western standards - if she says it happened, in the Philippines, that might be all they need.

Rape is a serious accusation - over 1 million date rapes a year in the USA.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• tokyoman

• littlePP

• A_Simple_Man

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I bet the job blows...

Whippy, I think you totally missed the moral of this story. It has nothing to do with 66-year-old men with 21-year-old women. It has nothing to do with the truth (the truth here is whatever somebody i

I am glad to see that some members here are willing to go out of their way to check up on expats, if only to ensure they are being treated as well as can be expected, and also make sure we are getting

>>> rape is a violent crime, not sexual

Agreed.

But that does not mean a person has to actually use physical violence to get their way.

I guess a threat of violence could be considered violence.

My dictionary says.

(rape is ) The crime of forcing a woman to submit to sexual intercourse against her will.

What would happen if for instance a teacher says "If you don't put out, I'm going to fail you". Is that rape?

Or perhaps sexual assault?

KonGC

Rape is a serious accusation - over 1 million date rapes a year in the USA.

It certainly seems to be, in the USA anyway.

KonGC

JamesMusslewhite

It certainly seems to be, in the USA anyway.

KonGC

Well in some countries it may be considered as a courting ritual, but in the US it is considered a reportable offense....

• Like 1
Buko Beach

IMO I am surprised that the vast majority here automatically screams "scam scam scam setup!" when a foreigner is arrested and are very quick to dismiss the story of rape and abuse. While I agree that some foreigners have been setup and scammed with false rape charges in the past, and even more have been targeted with smaller pay-up scams it does not mean the foreigner in this case was wrongly accused.

First, as to the newspaper story. While I agree the sentence structure is terrible at best one needs to remember that the person who wrote it is not a native english speaker and often phrases and words are mixed up or misplaced. The reporter (as with most people in Cebu) has learned english as a third langauge. (Cebuano/Bisaya-Tagalog-English). How many expats know a second language let alone a third? Anyways one needs to read between the lines sometimes to figure out what the reporter is saying, because it's not always clear or straight to the point.

Second, from the story it seems the 66yr old kept his true age from the girl. If members here are willing to impeach the girl because it seems the facts of her story do not add up, then I will do the same and turn the spotlight on this so-called 66yr old employer.

First if he was really in the Philippines looking for a wife, GF or fun there is no need to lie. Plenty of filipinas will reply to even the most hidious profiles (mine included lol). I think once the NBI cyber crime unit files the follow-up report it will show the guy lied to the girl and did in fact lure her to meet him under the cover of a job or marriage.

Recently there has been a tidal wave of losers, idiots, liars, scammers and just general low-lifes who have washed up on the shores of the Philippines. They lie to many filipinas and promise marriage to the filipina to get her into bed. After a week or so the guy throws the filipina away and goes on to the next. Never looking back to the girl or thinking about her severe loss of face with her family and friends. For every filipina or filipino that has good things to say about a kano there are many more who have had bad experiences.

Online and on the ground in the Philippines a foreinger will encounter all kinds of filipinas. Scammers, church virgins, semi-pros, p4p pro's, women seeking marriage, women seeking a job and women who are open to just about anything. Most filipinas think it's 'God's Will' that delivers to them the men who come into the lives. I think the woman involved in this story was indeed a shy good-hearted filipina. I also think she was lied to, and forced into this situation by her economic sitiuation and she was brought up to respect people. I have no doubt that when the 'job scam' posed by the 66yr old failed he pulled the old 'marriage proposal' to get into her pants. I also think he had zero intention to marry her or provide her with a job. His only motivation was to use her and kick her to the curb after.

I also have no doubt the 66yr old idiot was indeed rude to the brg. captain, arrogant and thought because he was a 'rich foreigner' and he could treat the locals with distain and shit all over them. I have seen that many times here, and each time the server, cleaner, service-crew worker would take it and obey. I'm very happy that this one time the jackass spoke down to someone in authority, someone with some power to do something about it. I will put away my soapbox now.

If the recent "imalayer" situation has revealed anything it's that rude arrogant behavior no matter the source will not be accepted anymore.

I'm very interested to know what happens with this rape charge.

mr dunn s picture in handcuffs on front page of cebu news .I wonder if they will make him dance in his orange suit in cebu jail lol

Well in some countries it may be considered as a courting ritual, but in the US it is considered a reportable offense....

In OZ we have what we call 'Leg Opener' AKA Baileys Irish Cream.

KonGC

• Like 1
Davaoeno

mr dunn s picture in handcuffs on front page of cebu news .I wonder if they will make him dance in his orange suit in cebu jail lol

everyone knows that white men cant dance !

• Like 4
In OZ we have what we call 'Leg Opener' AKA Baileys Irish Cream.

KonGC

Leg Spreader is what it is called in the Philippines.

I think the woman involved in this story was indeed a shy good-hearted filipina. I also think she was lied to, and forced into this situation by her economic sitiuation and she was brought up to respect people. I have no doubt that when the 'job scam' posed by the 66yr old failed he pulled the old 'marriage proposal' to get into her pants. I also think he had zero intention to marry her or provide her with a job. His only motivation was to use her and kick her to the curb after.

After (justifiably) criticizing others for making assumptions about the guy's innocence, you proceed to provide a laundry list of assumptions that are equally unsupported by any evidence. You've made up your mind that the guy's guilty -- how is that any different from people making up their minds that he's innocent.

I agree with those who think it's a bit peculiar to use DateInAsia (or whatever) as a job-hunting site. Beyond that we have a he said/she said.

• Like 1

After (justifiably) criticizing others for making assumptions about the guy's innocence, you proceed to provide a laundry list of assumptions that are equally unsupported by any evidence. You've made up your mind that the guy's guilty -- how is that any different from people making up their minds that he's innocent.

I agree with those who think it's a bit peculiar to use DateInAsia (or whatever) as a job-hunting site. Beyond that we have a he said/she said.

"Dunn, who is seeking assistance from the US Embassy, refused to talk to reporters."

So he said NOTHING

"She declined to be interviewed for this story."

So she said NOTHING

So in fact WE have nothing

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 2
A_Simple_Man
I'm very interested to know what happens with this rape charge.
I predictt it will go away, once the brg captain is appeased. (Probably a little money and appealing to his ego should do it.)
  • Like 1
A_Simple_Man
So in fact WE have nothing

True, but Norwegians with alibis have been charged with murder on even less information. (Fortunately common sense prevailed for that couple.)

• Like 1
USMC-Retired

The problem is he is presumed Guilty until he proves otherwise. Hence his picture splashed all over the paper. The level of evidence for someone to be arrested is very low. Yet he is considered a rapist. Without the benefit of a trial. I have seen so many cases over the last 5 years of innocent people trying to prove it. Even if there is evidence to support their innocents. So yes many long time residence know the system is broken and always stacked against the evil expat. Reading the article it just does not make sense. What does the fact about dating sites have anything to do with the Rape. What does insulting a swimming pool guy have to do with rape. What does hearsay say evidence of a slap have to do with Rape. Nothing it is all out to do one thing make the police look good and make the arrest look good. It is like they must add all this stuff because they know the people do not trust an ordinary arrest. It is also used to make it seem like he is more guilty of a crime. So why do we always think it is a scam. We do not we just do not trust that people in power or women that could be looking for a payday and those not beyond corruption. Unlike the US here she can drop her complaint and so will the charges. Oddly for a few pesos I bet she would. If she was raped I hope he get the max jail sentence and a day in court. A guy that proposes marriage is not going to be raping his soon to be wife. Or so you would think.

Edited by USMC-Retired
  • Like 2

The eye opener to me in this case is how truly vulnerable all foreigners are here. If a Filippa utters that magic four letter word, RAPE, the foreigner is seemingly automatically assumed to be guilty and thrown in jail. Even if he is totally innocent, he's out thousands of dollars and will suffer nightmares for a very long time to come. I'm not down playing rape, it's a serious crime, but like a poster already said, it's not about sex, it's about power and violence and as a foreigner you goose is proverbially cooked. Worse there is no defense, save living the life of a hermit and never going out with anyone here.

• Like 4