Headshot

Drivers License Renewal

SkyMan

Renewed my DL at SM Cebu today because it was going to expire while I'm out of the country.  I found on the LTO website you can renew up to 30 days early but if you have a ticket showing you'd be out of the country during the renewal time you could renew earlier.  While my ticket shows I'll be out during expiration it does show I'm still here 30 days before.  I want it early to perhaps have time to get the plastic license so I doctored my eticket to leave a month earlier.  I tried to think of a good time to go and came up with Tuesday morning so tried to get there at mall opening, 10AM, but only made it by 1045.  Lots of people there even then but not horrible.  Signs all over "No Plastic Licenses" as expected.  Figured I'd get the OR laminated and that would be good enough.  When I rent the car on my trip my old license will still be good.

There is also an LTO policy letter posted that LTOs aren't supposed to actually print up backlogged DLs until the people come to collect them.  I remember going to pick up my first converted license and clerk had to sort through a couple boxes of licenses to find mine.  Lots of people aren't in big hurry to pick them up.  So this policy may be a little inconvenient but it's actually smart and saves cards for those that need them.  Another possible benefit is that you may not have to go to the same LTO with your OR to get the real license.

I forgot to bring a pen but it's not hard finding someone to lend you one.  I did remember to get a large bottle of water to prep for the piss test.  If need reading glasses bring those too.  The second form is a bit hard to read.  First line to get the medical forms and pay p400.  Fill them out and hand them in with your DL. They give you back your priority number.  That's your number for the whole process.  It will first come up for the piss test, then again for the weight/blood pressure.  Why blood pressure matters for a DL I don't know.  No eye or hearing test anymore.  Last is a picture for some reason and a thumb print.  Take whatever they give you next door to the LTO.  I think the best time to go their might be 1245.  They don't all take a lunch break but many do and not much gets done.  Don't go to lunch yourself, just show up at 1245 and the line to get the forms is shorter.  Then pay/fill out your forms/turn them in and get your number, then go to lunch yourself.  No biggy if your number was called for the piss test while you were gone, just show your number then and you're next in line.  It might be that once you finish that you're next up for medical and the last step too.  I posted the LTO is supposed to take a medical certification from any doctor but it's useless to do that.  Even if you got your doctor to do the cert and you had a drug test from an approved testing center, you'd have to wait through to the final step anyway.

Give your papers and DL to the LTO window 1 and they give you their number.  No one even asked me why I was renewing more than 30 days early so the doctored ticket was a waste of time.  I don't think they care as long as you pay.  I was worried I might have to argue if they tried to short me a year on the license for renewing early.  First call is for the picture and esig.  Second call is for the cashier - p418 so p818 total.  Third step is finally, releasing.

Freaking 4.5 hours in all today.

There's bright side.  They gave me a plastic license.  I don't know if they just had some and I got lucky but they were handing out the real plastic cards even with the signs saying they didn't have any.

There's a dark side to the bright side though.  The expiration on the plastic is 3 years while on the OR, 5 years.  Get this....their system is not yet capable of putting the 2021 expiration on the plastic license.  So in a couple years I have to come back to trade my 2019 license in for a 2021.  Hahahahaha

So SAMATM, if you're still here I'd go back and see if you can get plastic even if the No Plastic signs are still up.

• Like 1

TheWhiteKnight

That's your number for the whole process. It will first come up for the piss test, then again for the weight/blood pressure. Why blood pressure matters for a DL I don't know. No eye or hearing test anymore.

Yes to a piss test that shouldn't be required any more (guess the Visasya's reversed it), yes to weight and blood pressure, but NO EYE and HEARING test? You gotta be joking me? The only two things that matter? haha. What a joke.

There's a dark side to the bright side though. The expiration on the plastic is 3 years while on the OR, 5 years. Get this....their system is not yet capable of putting the 2021 expiration on the plastic license

Great to hear they really are giving 5 years now...SMH that they can't print it properly yet. I hope they renew my lost inital 2 year license for a 5 year instead of a 3 year license.

SkyMan

I hope they renew my lost inital 2 year license for a 5 year instead of a 3 year license.
You would think that would be possible but it depends on the wording.  If the rule is that you can get 5 years if you've been good on your 3 year license they might say you only had 2 years so you only get 3.  Hope it works for you though.

Headshot

There's bright side.  They gave me a plastic license.  I don't know if they just had some and I got lucky but they were handing out the real plastic cards even with the signs saying they didn't have any.

That's amazing. Just yesterday, they told me at the SM City LTO that they had no plastic licenses, and that the main office is the only place that has them. However, I'm glad I went to the other office. Because I got there early (I had senior number 01), I didn't have to deal with the lines at SM City LTO, and it was a lot faster at the main Cebu LTO getting through the process. I just parked at E-Mall and walked over to the LTO (about a block).

• Like 1

SkyMan

It really surprised me as it looked to me like they were handing out an OR and their old license as what happened to samatm.  Also, everyone receiving was looking at the OR more than the license.  But I think they were wondering why the OR had 21 and the license had 19 as did I.  I think being a senior you'd have gotten through at SM Cebu just as fast.  I would have preferred to go to Danao but I was assuming to just just get an OR and would have to come back again and again to finally get the plastic and there are other reasons to go to SM but no other reason to go to Danao.  They also gave me my old license and I don't think anyone else got theirs back.  I guess because mine is still good for 2.5 more months.

Maybe they are leaving the No Plastic signs up because they are short on supply and don't want a rush or expect to run out again soon so they would just have to put the signs back up?

Headshot

Maybe they are leaving the No Plastic signs up because they are short on supply and don't want a rush or expect to run out again soon so they would just have to put the signs back up?

Maybe, but I told the woman at SM City Mall LTO that I needed a real drivers license because I am heading for the US and need a real license to rent a car, and having heard that, she sent me to the Cebu main LTO. Maybe you just had to talk with the right person to get the right answer. I can't count the number of times that has happened to me here.

to_dave007

Got to go for DL renewal this week, and will be going to Danao.

What should I take with me?  From what I read above it seems the list should include:

- The old Philippine drivers License

- My Canadian DL (just to be on safe side)

- Passport (to be on safe side)

- A pen

- Bottle of water (to pee is a priority)

anything else?

smokey

​I just did mine and NO Plastic so they give you a piece of paper.... still have my Arizona Lic issued in 2011 and good till 2017

Irenicus

anything else?

A Kindle.

to_dave007

A Kindle.

I've got a lot better at waiting since I came to PI

• Like 2

cebuano_ko

Do they have license cards now? My DL is expiring this coming July and wanted to renew early. Haven't got much time to go to SM to inquire.

NOSOCALPINOY
I need to renew my RP driver license in Sep and I asked around who lives in NCR of Luzon what the procedure is to date. It eventually has changed over the years since I did my last renewal.

Below is now the new procedure that a forum member has posted on another forum I'm on. 

It's apparent that the medical screening office next door to LTO is no longer doing medical screenings to obtain a medical certificate: 

Renewals are easier now.

1. Go to any nearby clinic to get a medical certificate.  I only had an eye test and was asked a few questions. (The LTO website has the medical certificate for download, or you can use the clinic's medical certificate)

2. Take medical certificate and driver's license and turn into the appropriate window at the LTO.  

No application required as long as you don't need to change any of the info on your license.

3. Wait to be called for picture, electronic thumb print and signature.

4. Wait to be called to pay.

5. Wait to be called for license.

I spent about 15 minutes at the clinic and 50 minutes at the LTO.  I went right in when the LTO first opened.  There were 6 people ahead of me renewing their license.  I renewed my license in December 2015.

Salty Dog

I've got a lot better at waiting since I came to PI

That's the understatement of the Forum...  :yahoo:

Maybe, but I told the woman at SM City Mall LTO that I needed a real drivers license because I am heading for the US and need a real license to rent a car, and having heard that, she sent me to the Cebu main LTO. Maybe you just had to talk with the right person to get the right answer. I can't count the number of times that has happened to me here.

I Would have thought you had kept your US license.

TheWhiteKnight

Renewed in April. Called today. Sir check back 2nd week of July.

SkyMan

1. Go to any nearby clinic to get a medical certificate.  I only had an eye test and was asked a few questions. (The LTO website has the medical certificate for download, or you can use the clinic's medical certificate)
This may not be a good idea.  I renewed in March at the Cebu SM License renewal office. I wanted to do the medical locally but my local doc was heading out as I got there and the fee would have been his regular office fee of p200.  When I got to the renewal place I saw the fee breakdown and I think the portion of the medical was only like p50 which is probably more than those guys are worth but still cheaper than my doc.  

Also, it saves no time.  When you pay your fee they give you the app paperwork and when you turn that in they give you a number and that's your number throughout the process.  Suppose they give you #142 and you somehow already have the piss test and medical done.  You will still wait for #1-141 go through the piss test and then the medical before they (and then you) can do the biometrics and be done.