Sign in to follow this  
Headshot

Drivers License Renewal

Headshot

I went into the LTO office in SM City Mall today to renew my Philippine drivers license (renewal is all they do at that office). The process went pretty smoothly. You go to the medical office to the right of the main LTO office, pay you money (400 pesos), fill out some paperwork, pee in a bottle (drug test), they check you height, weight, blood pressure and eyesight, and then you are on your way to the main LTO office with your medical paperwork and receipt.

When you enter the office, you go to the left side of the counter, and they give you some more papers to fill out. Along the right side of the room (looking from the entrance) there is an area where you can fill out the paperwoork, but it is surrounds by seating, so it isn't all that easy to get to if they are busy. Once you fill out the paperwork, you take it back to the guy who gave it to you, and he tells you to find a seat until they call your name. When they call your name, you go to the right side of the counter, get your picture taken, and sign your name on an electronic signature pad.

Then you sit until they call your name again. When they do, you go to the cashier at the middle of the counter, and she takes your money. This would normally be 453 pesos, but I had the address on my license changed to my address in Mandaue, so that cost me an extra 100 pesos.

Then, you sit down again. This time you will wait for quite a while before your name gets called because the next step in their process (actually making the license) is their bottleneck. They do eventually call your name, and you pick up your new license and official receipt at the left end of the counter (where you dropped off the paperwork in the first place).

Total time to go through both processes (medical and license) was about two hours most of it spent sitting there waiting). If they had a second card machine, the process time would be cut in half. Overall, though, it was a pretty painless procedure.

• Like 5

whizkid

Perfect timing. I'm about to renew my license next week :)

SkyMan
(renewal is all they do at that office).
Exactly, so if you want to correct your address or anything else on your license you have to go to a real LTO. They can't even correct your weight. Of course, you may not care if anything is corrected on there as they obviously don't care, but I'd at least like to update my address in case of emergency. If I'm in an accident I'd rather they not waste time looking for my wife at a place that is now 3 addresses old.

fivestarph

This post is just to warn persons who may be considering renewing their licence early.

One is permitted to renew one's licence two months in advance and therefore to avoid any last minute hiccups I decided today to renew my licence in advance.

Having spend one hour forty minutes for the process, my name was called out to the collection booth on the left hand side.

What I was presented with was a piece of paper stamped Temporary Licence with one month's validity, although I had paid for three years, which is earlier than when my existing licence would have expired.

On enquiry I was advised they were unable to produce any licences as the machine was defective and to call/come back after two weeks to check on the situation.

Now i truly understand why it is more fun in the Philippines.

ciao.

Dolsos

On enquiry I was advised they were unable to produce any licences as the machine was defective and to call/come back after two weeks to check on the situation.

Same thing when I got my license originally, the machines seem to break alot.

Remember to save that receipt or you'll have alot of issues trying to claim your license.

Glock

I wonder what the procedure is to add class 1 motorcycle to an existing license and if amended, would it be valid for 3 years from the date of the amendment?

SkyMan

I wonder what the procedure is to add class 1 motorcycle to an existing license and if amended, would it be valid for 3 years from the date of the amendment?

If you haven't got an RP license yet, just check the box for motorcycles when you get one.  If you already have a license you'll just have to go to the LTO and request it added.  While I imagine the process is pretty much the same as for renewal, I don't know if you'd get a new 3 years and if not, I'd request an early renewal and include the change. 

Also, when you do need to make changes on a license (at renewal or whatever) like address or whatever, there's a check box on the application for changes but make sure you point that out to them or you may just get the same as what you had and if they've already made the license, too bad.

• Like 1

easy44

If you haven't got an RP license yet, just check the box for motorcycles when you get one.  If you already have a license you'll just have to go to the LTO and request it added.  While I imagine the process is pretty much the same as for renewal, I don't know if you'd get a new 3 years and if not, I'd request an early renewal and include the change. 

Also, when you do need to make changes on a license (at renewal or whatever) like address or whatever, there's a check box on the application for changes but make sure you point that out to them or you may just get the same as what you had and if they've already made the license, too bad.

True, they never changed my address from two moves ago. On the other hand what difference does it make what address is on the license? Never affected me one way or the other.

ILoveCyrus

OK gotta  question:  LTO in Lapu Lapu City by City Hall......will they help me with converting my California DL to a Philippines one?

I don't want to travel too far and I'm on Mactan.  Been here over 90 days so I hope to get this thing FIXED ASAP.

Plz advise.....

arentol

I just wanted to add that, as of Nov. 29 (when I had my license renewed at SM), they can change all information on the license (i.e., address, weight, height, etc.). There is an extra fee of Php 100 to do this, if I remember correctly.

Cheers,

Aren

Exactly, so if you want to correct your address or anything else on your license you have to go to a real LTO. They can't even correct your weight. Of course, you may not care if anything is corrected on there as they obviously don't care, but I'd at least like to update my address in case of emergency. If I'm in an accident I'd rather they not waste time looking for my wife at a place that is now 3 addresses old.

ILoveCyrus

APPLICATION FOR CONVERSION (FOREIGN LICENSE TO PHILIPPINE LICENSE)        Non Professional   (valid foreign license, no examination)  License Fee 350 Application Fee 100 Computer Fee 67.63 Conversion Fee 100 Computer Fee   Revision of Records   TOTAL 617.63

This is me.........I think.

Woolf

+ medical

+ drug test

ILoveCyrus

+ medical

+ drug test

what?

Woolf

Read first part of the first post in this thread

How difficult can it be??