paypal verification

Have you tried adding a Philippines shipping address to you AU PayPal account? Did that work for you?

Yes I have but stopped because PhilPost 'lost' a few things.

I've also had stuff sent to friends homes in USA and UK for them to bring over for me (see PhilPost above)

KonGC

Jim in Cebu

This is a follow-up on my earlier post (#11) regarding the difficulty I had with US and RP PayPal Accounts (-- that is, the US account would not accept a RP shipping address and the RP account would not accept a US credit card).

Several people offered suggestions:

britash, only the Union Bank has an affiliation with Paypal, their branches are limited to main cities but they also have online accounts.

Go to their site, click on info for "Eon cyber account", all the info you need is there.

www.unionbankph.com

Try BPI, they offer a pre paid credit card account with only P10,000 deposited and interest too if the card isn't used or if more is added to the account.

Open an account at SterlingBank of Asia. They issue a Visa debit card. Have paypal send the amounts and speak with one of the girls at the bank and let her know what your doing. In a few days they should email you the amounts. I did it with the branch manager of their Ft. Bonifacio branch a few years ago.

Monsoon's post caught my attention. I wasn't aware that PayPal would accept debit cards. However, in checking the PayPal website, the "Add Bank Card" section says: "Debit Cards (also called check cards, ATM cards, or banking cards) are accepted if they have a Visa or MasterCard logo. Enter your card number without spaces or dashes."

Since I had already have a Mastercard Debit Card with a local (RP) bank, I tried to add it to my RP PayPal account. Unfortunately, the address and card number could not be validated online. I called PayPal and they said that the verification logs showed that the local bank's server that validates address and card number information returned a "out of service" error message. I called the local bank's national customer service number and they said that the Mastercard Debit Card that I had was not valid for online transactions. (I have also learned that local bank's Mastercard and Visa Credit Cards may or may not be valid for online transactions -- you need to read the fine print and/or inquire specifically about this.)

OK, so now I need to get a local credit card or debit card that will explicitly work with online transactions. There are lots of options at the various banks, with most of the options having annual card fees of p1,200 (or considerably higher) and/or high ADBs (average daily balances), which ties up funds.

After considering my needs (-- I will seldom be using the card --) and costs, I decided to try the Eon CyberAccount that was recommended by LazyDays. The annual fee is p350. The only minor gotcha is that customers get only two free local ATM withdrawals; additional local withdrawals are p10 (-- this is a non-issue to me, but if someone is looking for a general purpose card which they will make lots of ATM withdrawals during the month, there might be better alternatives.) This account supports local bank-to-bank transfers (EFTs). It has an online application form and, reportedly, next day availability of the card (at one of three local card-issuing branches); there are about 8 or so metro Cebu Unionbank branches you can use, but you have to get the physical card at one of the three card-issuing branches.

I'll be picking up my card in a few days when I'll be going into the city. If I discover any "gotchas" with it, I'll post additional comments. Otherwise assume that this approach as worked fine for me.

Thank you to all that posted suggestions on this topic.

--

Note regarding RP shipping addresses from non-RP PayPal accounts:

Kenny reported that he could add RP shipping addresses to his Australian PayPal account in the past:

Yes I have but stopped because PhilPost 'lost' a few things.

I've also had stuff sent to friends homes in USA and UK for them to bring over for me (see PhilPost above)

KonGC

Either there are differences in restrictions between US and AU PayPal accounts or, perhaps, additional restrictions have been added recently and Kenny's prior shipping addresses have been "grandfathered".

Although this didn't help my situation, I appreciated hearing about Kenny's experience.

Brucewayne

This is a follow-up on my earlier post (#11) regarding the difficulty I had with US and RP PayPal Accounts (-- that is, the US account would not accept a RP shipping address and the RP account would not accept a US credit card).

Several people offered suggestions:

Monsoon's post caught my attention. I wasn't aware that PayPal would accept debit cards. However, in checking the PayPal website, the "Add Bank Card" section says: "Debit Cards (also called check cards, ATM cards, or banking cards) are accepted if they have a Visa or MasterCard logo. Enter your card number without spaces or dashes."

Since I had already have a Mastercard Debit Card with a local (RP) bank, I tried to add it to my RP PayPal account. Unfortunately, the address and card number could not be validated online. I called PayPal and they said that the verification logs showed that the local bank's server that validates address and card number information returned a "out of service" error message. I called the local bank's national customer service number and they said that the Mastercard Debit Card that I had was not valid for online transactions. (I have also learned that local bank's Mastercard and Visa Credit Cards may or may not be valid for online transactions -- you need to read the fine print and/or inquire specifically about this.)

OK, so now I need to get a local credit card or debit card that will explicitly work with online transactions. There are lots of options at the various banks, with most of the options having annual card fees of p1,200 (or considerably higher) and/or high ADBs (average daily balances), which ties up funds.

After considering my needs (-- I will seldom be using the card --) and costs, I decided to try the Eon CyberAccount that was recommended by LazyDays. The annual fee is p350. The only minor gotcha is that customers get only two free local ATM withdrawals; additional local withdrawals are p10 (-- this is a non-issue to me, but if someone is looking for a general purpose card which they will make lots of ATM withdrawals during the month, there might be better alternatives.) This account supports local bank-to-bank transfers (EFTs). It has an online application form and, reportedly, next day availability of the card (at one of three local card-issuing branches); there are about 8 or so metro Cebu Unionbank branches you can use, but you have to get the physical card at one of the three card-issuing branches.

I'll be picking up my card in a few days when I'll be going into the city. If I discover any "gotchas" with it, I'll post additional comments. Otherwise assume that this approach as worked fine for me.

Thank you to all that posted suggestions on this topic.

--

Note regarding RP shipping addresses from non-RP PayPal accounts:

Kenny reported that he could add RP shipping addresses to his Australian PayPal account in the past:

Either there are differences in restrictions between US and AU PayPal accounts or, perhaps, additional restrictions have been added recently and Kenny's prior shipping addresses have been "grandfathered".

Although this didn't help my situation, I appreciated hearing about Kenny's experience.

BPI's ppaid credit card is usable online and even internationally as I have been told by my bank, but I never applied for one.

I am afraid my wife would rack it up to the full P10,000 every month and put us in a bind.

• 1 month later...

To possibly save ppl time on verifying their PH paypal with a PH bank account the only bank which supports it so far I've found to be Union bank EON. BDO, BPI and HSBC PH do not.

• Like 1
shadow

Hi,

I opened a PH paypal account expecting I could send money to my PH HSBC account. After reaching my sending limit with paypal I was required to verifiy my account which involves paypal making a deposit in my PH HSBC with a verification code.

PH HSBC don't allow this with my account - internet transactions aren't allowed with the debit account and I can't have a credit card account being a non resident.

Does anyone know a bank which allows internet banking or foreigners to open a credit card account so that I can verify my paypal?

Thanks!

Unionbank EON account is the easiest account to tie to Paypal I have ever seen. No minimum balance, no monthly fees, just P350 per year maintenance. We opened a bank account in 20 minutes, and didn't give them any money!

The EON account was created specifically for online banking.

For what it is worth, you cannot get a Paypal debit card tied to a PH Paypal account.

Edited by shadow
Davaoeno
I am afraid my wife would rack it up to the full P10,000 every month and put us in a bind.

Wouldnt it be easier to just ask her not to use the card ?

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

I verified a Paypal account with Sterling Bank.

ed villas

I use Payoneer, it's a prepaid Mastercard you can manage online.

what is PAYONEER? can you give further info on this?

ed villas

To answer your question:

Open an account at SterlingBank of Asia. They issue a Visa debit card. Have paypal send the ammounts and speak with one of the girls at the bank and let her know what your doing. In a few days they should email you the ammounts. I did it with the branch manager of their Ft. Bonifacio branch a few years ago.

Yes thats agood idea. Sterling bank is one of the smaller banks ,heard their customer service is good, better thanB.D.O.

also if you plan to live here for a while.

is to open a SECURED CREDIT CARD w/ one of the major banks. you put 10.000 in a time deposit and your credit limit is 80%. only drawback on a RP card is the HIGH APR.

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Yes thats agood idea. Sterling bank is one of the smaller banks ,heard their customer service is good, better thanB.D.O.

also if you plan to live here for a while.

is to open a SECURED CREDIT CARD w/ one of the major banks. you put 10.000 in a time deposit and your credit limit is 80%. only drawback on a RP card is the HIGH APR.

If your a permanent resident here and have any sort of reasonable income and assets several banks will give you an unsecured card.

what is PAYONEER? can you give further info on this?

Here is a link to Payoneer

http://www.payoneer.com/

Monsoon seems to have something that is working for him.

Fred

Edited by fredanna
  • 4 weeks later...
Brucewayne

Try asking any woman not to spend her husband's money.

I doubt that over 10% of them would take her husband seriously.

shadow

Try asking any woman not to spend her husband's money.

I doubt that over 10% of them would take her husband seriously.

My wife asks me every time she wants to buy a P12 bag of chips. Funny thing is, she is the one who earns most of our income.

• Like 1
passingby

I have a credit card with BDO so if you do not ask for a high limit it would be worth a try.  YES a land line is a requriement AND I was going to change to a different type of card a few months ago and my manager told me not to as it would need a new application and I was over 70 - guess that is the cut off.  Guess they think you will die without paying them.  Permanent resident or some kind is also needed - SRRV, married, investor, quota visa, etc