Sign in to follow this  
datkins587

Residency Requirements to Convert US Drivers License

Woolf

You know that. And I know that. But does the person that matters (pulis) know that? Its more fun in the Philippines! No pick at you Woolf, but Wikipedia is just stuff written by people like you and me. I used to add all kinds of "inflated" stuff, just for fun. Anyone can alter the info there. Although, I dont disagree with what you have posted.

The restrictions are listed on the back of the license

It was easier to copy from wikipedia

• Like 2

Woolf

CONVERSION OF FOREIGN LICENSE TO PHILIPPINE DRIVER’S LICENSE

http://www.lto.gov.ph/index.php/services/drivers-licensing/112-license-related-transactions#conversionForeignLicenseNonProf

You will find requirements, procedures and fees there.

Philippine license is valid for 3 years

Edited by Woolf

RogerDuMond

A friend of my wife is in charge of the drug testing section. According to her the requirement is 60 days in country before obtaining a Philippine divers license.

Woolf

If you are in the philippines and do not have a license

from your home country then you will need a student permit

http://www.lto.gov.ph/index.php/services/drivers-licensing/112-license-related-transactions#studentPermitForeigners

B. Student Permit for Foreigners

Qualifications:

1. Must be at least sixteen (16) years old.
2. Must know how to read and write in English or Filipino.
Must have arrived in the Philippines for at least one (1) month prior
to the date of application with LTO and can show evidence from BID/DFA
that he will stay in the country for at least five (5) months from the
date of application.

Under conversion I see nothing about that you must have been in

the philippines for some time before you can convert

http://www.lto.gov.ph/index.php/services/drivers-licensing/112-license-related-transactions#conversionForeignLicenseNonProf

CONVERSION OF FOREIGN LICENSE TO PHILIPPINE DRIVER’S LICENSE

A. Non-Professional

Requirements:

1. Original and one (1) photocopy of valid foreign license. If the
foreign Driver’s License is not in English Language, the applicant
should submit an Official English translation from the local Embassy of
the issuing country.
2. Original machine copy of valid passport showing the latest date of arrival in the Philippines of the foreign applicant.
Original and machine copy of valid visa or Alien Certificate of
Registration (ACR) if the foreign applicant temporarily resides in the
Philippines.
4. Original copy of Medical Certificate with Official Receipt issued by an LTO accredited or government Physician.
5. Negative drug test result issued by DOH accredited Drug Testing Center or Government Hospitals
6. Duly accomplished Application for Driver’s License (ADL). [Download this form here]
7. Taxpayer’s Identification Number (TIN), if EMPLOYED, (In compliance to Executive Order 98 & MC ACL-2009-1251)
If Foreign License is expired, applicant shall undergo written and practical examinations.

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 1

johnboy999

Well to be brutally honest,I don't remember, But the number  P6000.00 plus fees for drug test. This was for mynwife and I.

But I am not really worried about the fees. I now have the licence. And I don't have to renew it till after I die!!! :-))

Be Well

Gator

The Philippines driving licence is only valid for a maximum of 3 years (expires on your birthdate) .......

Woolf

If you have nothing else to do, you can read this

REPUBLIC ACT No. 4136

AN ACT TO COMPILE THE LAWS RELATIVE TO LAND TRANSPORTATION AND TRAFFIC RULES

http://www.lawphil.net/statutes/repacts/ra1964/ra_4136_1964.html

and maybe this

TRAFFIC VIOLATION AND ADMINISTRATIVE FEES AND CHARGES

http://www.lto.gov.ph/index.php/services/drivers-licensing/82-fines-penalties-for-traffic-and-administrative-violations

storybrook

How do you spell frustration? LTO

This made me laugh and remember why I don't have a Honda Wave 125 anymore and choose to use Public transportation.  Actually I walk almost everywhere I go, a Tricycle is about the most Public transportation I use anymore.  I find I no longer have to spell frustration at all anymore.  

The police can't stop me and take my licence and then refuse to give it back until I pay them the bribe anymore, they can't put up their little check points and stop me there demanding bribes from me anymore, I don't have any problems with the LTO anymore because I don't have a licence - don't drive anything.  I'm just the passenger now.  If I really need a car like to make a trip, I just rent the van for the day and be done with it.

No maintenance of a vehicle of any kind, no more being ripped off by anyone…No stress – no LTO – no flat tires – no repairs – no check points – no cops demanding bribes – just the freedom to go anywhere I want with someone else doing the driving.  It’s the only way to live here with no stress.  Works for me!

Dafey

So...my wife and I stopped in the LTO today and she enquired about liscences for us..

Since she is dual citizenship they said no prob and she could start the process. However they said I had to be in in the Philippines 1 year before I could apply. This didn't sound right but wondering if things have changed...this thread is sfrom 2014.

Also, do I need to surrender my US liscence to obtain a local liscence?

Woolf

Do not ask to get a philippine license

ask to have your license converted

that  is, they will issue a philippines license based on your license

you keep your license

no writen test

no driving test

If your license is not in english, then you need to have it translated at your embassy or consulate

Edited by Woolf

Davaoeno

no

Salty Dog

So...my wife and I stopped in the LTO today and she enquired about liscences for us..

Since she is dual citizenship they said no prob and she could start the process. However they said I had to be in in the Philippines 1 year before I could apply. This didn't sound right but wondering if things have changed...this thread is sfrom 2014.

Welcome to the Philippines.... :yahoo:

Woolf

I was at the Robinson where LTO is in talisay

I asked about the drug test        It is still done in region 7  (cebu island area)

there is a big sign on the door "No Plastic"

bargeman

Well, I got my UK license converted in February this year in Carcar LTO and I had been here for 4 weeks at the time. I call BS on the 5 months as you are only allowed to drive for a maximum of 90 days on a foreign license

Likewise.

I got mine originally converted in LTO Mandaue in less than 3 hours, including drug test etc.several years ago.

Recently renewed in LTO SM.

Never a problem.

hitman

The most honest, and best LTO location to deal with, that I ever found in the Philippines anyway, was on Siquijor. I kid you not, they had signs outside showing the penalties for anyone trying to "fix" licenses for others, for a fee. They ONLY charged me what they were supposed to, AND gave me the official, printed receipt showing what I was required to pay.

If you want to deal with an honest LTO, definitely go to Siquijor to renew your license.

Also include LTO Baguio as being honest and efficient ...