Sign in to follow this  
datkins587

Residency Requirements to Convert US Drivers License

SkyMan

The most honest, and best LTO location to deal with, that I ever found in the Philippines anyway, was on Siquijor. I kid you not, they had signs outside showing the penalties for anyone trying to "fix" licenses for others, for a fee. They ONLY charged me what they were supposed to, AND gave me the official, printed receipt showing what I was required to pay.

If you want to deal with an honest LTO, definitely go to Siquijor to renew your license.

I hadn't set foot in an LTO (Danao) in years. Last time it was very crowded and getting anything done was at least most of a day if not a 'come back tomorrow (or next week)'. Then I found a contact in that office who was higher up and found out his brother ran the smoke testing station. So since then I have just gone to get a smoke test, then asked to see the manager. I'd tell him I was a friend of his brother's and he would figure up the actual cost. I'd pay him and give him the paperwork and come back to pick up in a couple days. Piece of cake for, as I said, years. Then last week, the brother at the smoke testing center had been moved to a different center. Nooooooooo.

So I went up to Danao and the place was deserted at 3:30PM. Huh? There were maybe 15 people who had just finished a DL seminar and were waiting for their licenses but that was it. I went in and gave my papers and one of the LTO employees went across the street and bought insurance. 20 minutes later he was back and they figured up what I owed and I paid it and 20 minutes after that I had a new OR and sticker. Not bad. I was quite surprised and impressed.

tripsigg

I went in today to get a license in Mindanao. To convert the license, I had to go into a room one on one with the head of the office. She said I needed an ACR, but then showed my Balikbayan and she was ok with that. Then she said I must get a TIN, prepared, I showed her the memorandum. Ha! The bitty said that since I was employed I needed a TIN. I said I am not employed, she demanded that I tell her how I get my funds. I said savings. She asked me how did I get my savings? I told her from the ATM, then she asked me the source of those funds. I told her work. She said you are employed, you must get a TIN. I said, no I am not employed, I was employed in the past, but not currently employed. She then asked me how I got my funds for living. Circular argument went around 5 or 6 times. My wife gets angry and tell the old bitty that I don't work and I am independently wealthy from a trust fund since the old bitty can't understand the concept of saving money and then spending it for living/travel expenses. 

Fast forward after the medical exam(which was joke) and the drug test(another joke), and I got a restriction 2 license, wouldn't give me 1 and 2. Why? My license is from a state that says that if you can drive a car then you are also licensed to drive a motorcycle. Since the old bitty couldn't read English we went around. Told the old bitty that she couldn't understand. She then asked me if I thought she was illiterate. I told her, yes I think you are illiterate in English since you can't understand very simple reading. I had fun with that one. 

Stupid, stupid, stupid old bitty...just beware of this. Never underestimated the stupidity of Filipino government workers. 

jaxsurfingatorncebu

Greetings Everyone,

The Tuesday  before Easter, We went to Danao, with a friend, WE were in and out in about 2 1/2 to 3 hrs, including a lunch break. I had no problem and got my MC endorsement as well. And we arrived in Cebu Dec 8th 2012.

Be Well

Marc

AKA Gator

Dolsos

Greetings Everyone,

The Tuesday  before Easter, We went to Danao, with a friend, WE were in and out in about 2 1/2 to 3 hrs, including a lunch break. I had no problem and got my MC endorsement as well. And we arrived in Cebu Dec 8th 2012.

Be Well

Marc

AKA Gator

Out of curiosity how much did you end up paying alltogether?

Half Baked

and I got a restriction 2 license, wouldn't give me 1 and 2.

I got the same restriction. I've heard that "some" policemen believe that since 2 is higher, that includes 1 & 2. I've heard that several times already from several different sources. But....of course, I'd be an idiot to listen to any of them. They may be right, but they may be full of shot, too.

Woolf

restriction 1 is motorbike  only

restriction 2 is car only

your license must show restriction 1 2  to be valid for both

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_license_in_the_Philippines

Restrictions:

• Restriction 1 - Motorcycles/Motorized Tricycles
  • Restriction 2 - Vehicle up to 4500 kg Gross Vehicle Weight
  • Restriction 3 - Vehicle above 4500 kg Gross Vehicle Weight
  • Restriction 4 - Automatic Clutch up to 4500 kg Gross Vehicle Weight
  • Restriction 5 - Automatic Clutch above 4500 kg Gross Vehicle Weight
  • Restriction 6 - Articulated Vehicle 1600 kg Gross Vehicle Weight & Below
  • Restriction 7 - Articulated Vehicle 1601 kg up to 4500 kg Gross Vehicle Weight
  • Restriction 8 - Articulated Vehicle 4501 kg & above Gross Vehicle Weight

Note: Restrictions 1, 2, & 4 only for Non-professional driver's license.

Half Baked

You know that. And I know that. But does the person that matters (pulis) know that? Its more fun in the Philippines!

No pick at you Woolf, but Wikipedia is just stuff written by people like you and me. I used to add all kinds of "inflated" stuff, just for fun. Anyone can alter the info there. Although, I dont disagree with what you have posted.

Restrictions:

• Restriction 7 - Articulated Vehicle 1601 kg up to 4500 kg Gross Vehicle Weight

Headshot

You know that. And I know that. But does the person that matters (pulis) know that? Its more fun in the Philippines!

No pick at you Woolf, but Wikipedia is just stuff written by people like you and me. I used to add all kinds of "inflated" stuff, just for fun. Anyone can alter the info there. Although, I dont disagree with what you have posted.

And...unfortunately...the official LTO website says nothing on the subject, so all you are left with is he said, she said. Isn't a motorcycle a vehicle under 4500 kg? Restriction 2 doesn't say anything about it only being for cars. I drive a pickup truck, and restriction 2 is good for that. Why wouldn't it also be OK for a motorcycle, a tricycle or a vehicle with an automatic transmission? They don't have skill tests here anyway. You just pay your money and get your license. I know that people have been told by LTO that there is only supposed to be one restriction code on the license.

PS...There is no way I would ride a motorcycle here anyway, so it's really a moot point for me.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

Woolf

know that people have been told by LTO that there is only supposed to be one restriction code on the license.

so why do my wife have restriction 1 2    on her license  ??

a bit down the page  the fees

A. Non-Professional Driver’s License with Additional Restriction Code/s (ARC)

ARC 1:

Requirements:

1. Driver’s License

2. Duly accomplished Application Form (ADL) [Download this form here].

3. Negative drug test result (from a DOH accredited drug testing center & Government Hospital).

4. Must have passed the practical examination.

5. Medical Certificate (from LTO accredited or Government physician & Government Hospitals), if due for renewal.

Procedures:

1. Proceed to the Customer Service Counter to get your checklist of

requirements and secure a Driver’s License Application Form. (This form

is available for download here. You can accomplish this form prior to

transacting your business at the LTO.) Get a queue number and wait for

your number to be called.

2. When your number is called, proceed to

evaluator counter and submit all the required documents and have it

checked for completeness and authenticity.

3. Proceed to the Photo taking /Signature Area to have your picture and signature taken when your name is called.

4. Proceed to the Cashier when your name is called to pay the application fee.

5. Wait for your name to be called for the practical exam.

After passing the practical examination, proceed to the Cashier when

your name is called for payment of necessary fees and obtain an Official

Receipt.

7. Proceed to the Releasing Counter, present the Official Receipt and claim the Card type License.

Edited by Woolf

Headshot

Woolf, the point I was trying to make is that it seems that maybe different LTO offices are interpreting the rules for the restrictions differently. The rules are very poorly written with no real explanation of what they mean, so it leaves a lot to interpretation. Also, I don't know anybody who actually had to take what we would think of as a practical exam (driving test)...even for their first license. LTO was really only interested in the money. They were required to take a written exam. However, maybe it is just terminology, and LTO is calling the written exam a "practical" exam.

Woolf

I know of someone that was stopped on his bike, he only had restriction 2,

he talked himself out of it by agreeing to go to lto and have restriction  1 added.

He had to take the driving test,  hmm ya well he just went up and down the road

then it was ok

jaxsurfingatorncebu

Out of curiosity how much did you end up paying alltogether?

Well to be brutally honest,I don't remember, But the number  P6000.00 plus fees for drug test. This was for mynwife and I.

But I am not really worried about the fees. I now have the licence. And I don't have to renew it till after I die!!! :-))

Be Well

Gator

SkyMan

The typical license here has 1,2  A friend of mine, pinoy, has 1,2,4 but that's just because he has a friend at the LTO and wanted it as a novelty.

Buko Beach

Restrictions:

Just wondering...

#4 Automatic Clutch up to 4500kg.... does that mean automatic vehicle? Seems straight forward but I'm not sure so better ask.

What if my license has only Restriction #2 on it? Am I only allowed to drive stick and vice-versa, if I drive an automatic vehicle do I have to have restriction #4?

Woolf

4  is automatic  only, up to 4500 kg

2  is stick shift AND automatic, up to 4500 kg

• Like 1