Sign in to follow this  
datkins587

Residency Requirements to Convert US Drivers License

Monsoon

Funny how they give the MC license here so easily. The license I converted here didn't have a MC endorsement, but my PI license had both 1 and 2.

To the OP - Unless something has recently changed, your being fed BS. But I can't see what the motivation is, unless they think you might try to offer them a bribe? Is the the person behind the window telling you this?

Although, I wouldn't be surprised if they have made some silly changes so that the government gets more money.

datkins587

No it was an evaluator at a desk at both places who told me these requirements. The one for the having to live here for 5 months first BS in Talisay and then the other also at a evaluator desk in Mandaue claiming I could only choose one endorsement. I’m sure if I would have pulled out 400 or 500 pesos at either place the issues would have disappeared.

I need to figure out what the going rate is for all these payoffs so I don’t overpay. At this point considering all the time and all the effort running around to 2 different LTO’s and still not getting what I went there for (driver license with car & MC endorsement ) maybe it would be better just to pay the damn bribe.

• Like 1

Monsoon

It could possibly be pure ignorance as well. there used to be some requirement about how long you've been here to convert a license. They used to ask for a copy of your last entry stamp along with the rest of the requirements. I sometimes find when dealing with the government here you can just keep asking until you get an answer you like. Answers depend on what day of the week it is and how many hours it has been since their last meal.

Moral of the story its more fun in the Philippines!

Edited by Monsoon
  • Like 1

thebob

No it was an evaluator at a desk at both places who told me these requirements. The one for the having to live here for 5 months first BS in Talisay and then the other also at a evaluator desk in Mandaue claiming I could only choose one endorsement. I’m sure if I would have pulled out 400 or 500 pesos at either place the issues would have disappeared.

Take a print out of this page with you.

http://www.ombudsman.gov.ph/index.php?home=1&navId=Mg==&subNavId=MTc=

And when you are told something bogus, ask for the guys name and write it on the paper just under the telephone number.

I've found it very effective at changing opinions.

• Like 3

Headshot

Take a print out of this page with you.

http://www.ombudsman...=&subNavId=MTc=

And when you are told something bogus, ask for the guys name and write it on the paper just under the telephone number.

I've found it very effective at changing opinions.

And if it doesn't work, ask to see the LTO office manager. However, you need to actually know the real rules to do stuff like that, and they and counting on a new guy not knowing the rules. BTW, to the OP, it may be that the 7 days is the most you can wait to get their screw-up changed without having to jump through all of their extra hoops and pay a bunch more money. If it was me, I would go in and talk to the LTO manager in Mandaue (where you actually got a license) and ask him why they didn't give you both non-professional and MC endorsements when the rules state that they are supposed to when you convert your US license.

My guess is that they only gave you the MC endorsement so they can try to make you take the written and practical driving tests. That way, they can throw enough hoops up in front of you and run you around the flagpole enough that you will be begging to give them money. There is NO test required for driver’s license conversion if you had the endorsements on your US license. When I went to Cebu City LTO office for my license conversion, the whole thing took me less than two hours and I walked out with the new license...no hassles.

This is a case where it might have helped you to do a search on this forum before you went…

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/27414-drivers-license-conversion/

It might help to print out the applicable parts from the LTO website to use as back-up when you go back to LTO...just so they know there isn't any wool growing over your eyes.

• Like 1

hookedtothenet

I

The only other thing you should have been required to do, was to take the (quite easy) written test.

I wasn't asked to do that here in Iloilo Paul, but was asked to get a TIN number before they would let me proceed with the conversion, that took a few weeks, but I understand that from a post here recently they have abolished that requirement.

As far as the OP's question, Yes, sounds like a ploy for a bribe. Try going down on a different day and you might get a different fella that is straight up ;)

ancienrocka

The LTO are the worst agency to deal with and this is not just my opinion, but it was reported in an investigation about the ease of dealing with government agencies recently published.

Every branch office seems to have a different interpretation of the rules which I can only put down to poor training, if I'm being kind. There is absolutely no consistency between the 7 different branches in and around Cebu.

The requirement for the TIN was enforced for about 2 months by the LTO and it was down to me to show the attached memo to them to prove that it was no longer the law.

For some reason I can't work out how to attach the file but if anyone needs a copy just PM me.

• Like 2

Paul

The most honest, and best LTO location to deal with, that I ever found in the Philippines anyway, was on Siquijor. I kid you not, they had signs outside showing the penalties for anyone trying to "fix" licenses for others, for a fee. They ONLY charged me what they were supposed to, AND gave me the official, printed receipt showing what I was required to pay.

If you want to deal with an honest LTO, definitely go to Siquijor to renew your license.

Paul
For some reason I can't work out how to attach the file but if anyone needs a copy just PM me.

Email it to me, Paul, and I will attach it to your post.

Monsoon

The most honest, and best LTO location to deal with, that I ever found in the Philippines anyway, was on Siquijor. I kid you not, they had signs outside showing the penalties for anyone trying to "fix" licenses for others, for a fee. They ONLY charged me what they were supposed to, AND gave me the official, printed receipt showing what I was required to pay.

If you want to deal with an honest LTO, definitely go to Siquijor to renew your license.

Add to that there are no lines, only pleasant people hanging about also waiting for their business with LTO to conclude.

thebob

Unfortunately it depends on the "head" of the office, and they get regularly rotated. In some offices, everything is handed through the security guard, in others the windows have to be visited in a random order.

My current tricycle problem involves a tricycle for hire, registered in Danao but the yellow plate hadn't been issued. We have a franchise in Tanjay, so registered it in Bais. The registration was renewed by Bais office, and a temporary number was issued. But the franchise couldn't be renewed because of the temporary plate.

After a 4 month wait, we went all the way to Danao again, picked up the yellow plate, and were told everything was OK. So back to Bais with the tricycle with the new plate. They said that they couldn't process the name change because there was a "hold" from the Cebu office, and gave us some computer code numbers. They didn't know what they meant, and said that they need to be followed up in Cebu. This time we went to Carcar because it is nearer. We were told that there were outstanding penalties and if we paid them then everything would be completed in a month. We paid them and waited longer.

So after 3 months we get a call saying that the problem is that the trycicle has a yellow for hire plate, (the one that we had to get) but that the previous owner didn't have permission for a franchise, even though the whole problem was trying to transfer the ownership from him in the first place.

We are then told by LTO, that if we pay more money, to get a private plate, transfer the ownership, wait one more month and then apply for a for a yellow for hire plate, everything will be OK.

I'm not tremendously confident that this procedure will get me any further down the road.

I feel that my next step is to take my detailed description of this process, with my list of names and photo copies of each receipt collected at each step of the transaction process to the Ombudsman.

After almost a year waiting, with a tricycle that is legally registered, insured, and with a number plate and franchise, (although it is registered in a different name), is hasn't been able to earn a single centavo.

How do you spell frustration?

Reynaldo

Always try to conduct business with female staff if available.

They are much more amiable and smiling goes along way.

Headshot

How do you spell frustration?

LTO

• Like 1

Headshot

Actually, I had the same experience at the Cebu City LTO in 2010 when I converted my US driver’s license to a Philippine driver’s license. It was a fairly straight-forward process with no fixers, and I got receipts for everything along with my new license. Reading this thread, though, I have to wonder if management changes have impacted that since I did it. It truly is dependent on the manager as to whether any LTO location is honest and efficient or corrupt and inefficient.

SkyMan
They are supposed to put every endorsement you have on your home-country DL on your Philippine DL.
Actually, I was never asked what I had on my US license which didn't have an MC endorsement. I checked off 1,2,4 on the app and they gave me 1,2. I have heard a few police joke that if you don't have 4 you can't drive an AT car and I know one pinoy that has 1,2,4 but that's only because he knows someone in the LTO who got that for him. Normally nobody gets 2 and 4.

Next time I'm getting a professional license though, and the biggest trucks they'll let me drive with out a special class.